Droid charge getting discontinued??

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I was just in a Verizon store and talking to a rep, just ask if he knew when or if the charge was getting a update. He said he didn't know but they were told to pull the display model, and to not push the droid charge anymore. I think it's getting pulled ? Sad the phone is not very old.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
With the Stratosphere out and Samsung Illusion almost here this does not surprise me in the least. Verizon told Phil at one point that phones had about a nine month (shelf) lifespan and it's getting pretty close to that now. Revolution is only still out I think because they have stock and as much as I hate to say it the Thunderbolt will probably disappear sometime during the holidays or shortly thereafter as well.

jnaught

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
My buddy is the manger at a Verizon Store in NC and he told me it was pulled due to all the issues and complaints.

I don't get it, what issues and complaints? I bought mine when it first came out in May and it's been awesome since day! This sucks, its a great phone.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Time to purposely brick it so they give us a galaxy nexux. Buahahaha

Sent from DROID CHARGE 4G-LTE

No they will just give you a CLNR Charge. They have so many of them they were giving them away to Fascinate owners a while back when Gingerbread caused so many issues,

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I was just in a Verizon store and talking to a rep, just ask if he knew when or if the charge was getting a update. He said he didn't know but they were told to pull the display model, and to not push the droid charge anymore. I think it's getting pulled ? Sad the phone is not very old.

I will be really surprised if Charge gets ICS. As has been pointed out it is on the way out and Samsung has always done a poor job of updating older handsets in the past, but given the fact that they are making the GN and this have access to the ICS code who knows that may change at least in the short term, but as a former Fascinate user I would not hold my breath if I were you.

jnaught

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I just read this might be a result of Apple's lawsuit against Samsung - that touchwiz too closely resembles the their os? (no idea if this is true, just throwing it out there ...)

drd48

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there any chance we'll be able to leverage the fact that it's been discontinued due to so many problems/complaints to help us upgrade or swap to a different phone?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I just read this might be a result of Apple's lawsuit against Samsung - that touchwiz too closely resembles the their os? (no idea if this is true, just throwing it out there ...)

LOL if that wre the case they would just pus out an OTA with a modified version of Touch Wiz.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there any chance we'll be able to leverage the fact that it's been discontinued due to so many problems/complaints to help us upgrade or swap to a different phone?

Unlikely until they run out of or get low on CLRN Charge's or you cross the one year mark in your contract at which point they are more likely to allow people with bad devices to upgrade early just to get rid of the problem.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it, what issues and complaints? I bought mine when it first came out in May and it's been awesome since day! This sucks, its a great phone.

Same here. Only had it a few weeks but all is well so far. GPS works good. Calls clear and reliable. Yeah battery life sucks but it does on most smartphones and juice defender in agressive mode just gave me more than 28 hours on a charge.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terrigno

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I will be really surprised if Charge gets ICS. As has been pointed out it is on the way out and Samsung has always done a poor job of updating older handsets in the past, but given the fact that they are making the GN and this have access to the ICS code who knows that may change at least in the short term, but as a former Fascinate user I would not hold my breath if I were you.

At this point I would be surprised if it got gingerbread. LoL

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
At this point I would be surprised if it got gingerbread. LoL
Lol good point ... not owning one myself I forgot it was still stuck on froyo ...

EDIT: actually Android-police just leaked another Gingerbread build for the charge so they are still working on it but my guess is that the Charge will get Gingerbread for Christmas (as I have been telling everyone it would since it came out) right around the time the first of the Motorola and HTC devices start to get official releases and tentative release dates.

Last edited:

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm running stock 2.3.6 and the GPS is fixed! For those of you coming from Froyo to Gingerbread it will be a huge upgrade. Rumor has it the wait for the OTA won't be long now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2