Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

Default Droid charge getting discontinued??

I was just in a Verizon store and talking to a rep, just ask if he knew when or if the charge was getting a update. He said he didn't know but they were told to pull the display model, and to not push the droid charge anymore. I think it's getting pulled ? Sad the phone is not very old.

Time to purposely brick it so they give us a galaxy nexux. Buahahaha

Sent from DROID CHARGE 4G-LTE
    Thanked by 2:
    spencer0279 likes this.

Default Re: Droid charge getting discontinued??

I believe most of the leaked road maps for Verizon showed the Galaxy Nexus canceling out the Charge.

It's being discontinued and replaced by the Galaxy Nexus.

ROM
    GummyCharged FE 2.0 w/ im

My buddy is the manger at a Verizon Store in NC and he told me it was pulled due to all the issues and complaints.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

With the Stratosphere out and Samsung Illusion almost here this does not surprise me in the least. Verizon told Phil at one point that phones had about a nine month (shelf) lifespan and it's getting pretty close to that now. Revolution is only still out I think because they have stock and as much as I hate to say it the Thunderbolt will probably disappear sometime during the holidays or shortly thereafter as well.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vols fan View Post
    My buddy is the manger at a Verizon Store in NC and he told me it was pulled due to all the issues and complaints.
    I don't get it, what issues and complaints? I bought mine when it first came out in May and it's been awesome since day! This sucks, its a great phone.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post
    Time to purposely brick it so they give us a galaxy nexux. Buahahaha

No they will just give you a CLNR Charge. They have so many of them they were giving them away to Fascinate owners a while back when Gingerbread caused so many issues,
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by trigun123478 View Post
    I was just in a Verizon store and talking to a rep, just ask if he knew when or if the charge was getting a update. He said he didn't know but they were told to pull the display model, and to not push the droid charge anymore. I think it's getting pulled ? Sad the phone is not very old.
    I will be really surprised if Charge gets ICS. As has been pointed out it is on the way out and Samsung has always done a poor job of updating older handsets in the past, but given the fact that they are making the GN and this have access to the ICS code who knows that may change at least in the short term, but as a former Fascinate user I would not hold my breath if I were you.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

I just read this might be a result of Apple's lawsuit against Samsung - that touchwiz too closely resembles the their os? (no idea if this is true, just throwing it out there ...)

Is there any chance we'll be able to leverage the fact that it's been discontinued due to so many problems/complaints to help us upgrade or swap to a different phone?
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by jnaught View Post
    I just read this might be a result of Apple's lawsuit against Samsung - that touchwiz too closely resembles the their os? (no idea if this is true, just throwing it out there ...)
    LOL if that wre the case they would just pus out an OTA with a modified version of Touch Wiz.

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by drd48 View Post
    Is there any chance we'll be able to leverage the fact that it's been discontinued due to so many problems/complaints to help us upgrade or swap to a different phone?
    Unlikely until they run out of or get low on CLRN Charge's or you cross the one year mark in your contract at which point they are more likely to allow people with bad devices to upgrade early just to get rid of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jnaught View Post
    I don't get it, what issues and complaints? I bought mine when it first came out in May and it's been awesome since day! This sucks, its a great phone.
    Same here. Only had it a few weeks but all is well so far. GPS works good. Calls clear and reliable. Yeah battery life sucks but it does on most smartphones and juice defender in agressive mode just gave me more than 28 hours on a charge.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    I will be really surprised if Charge gets ICS. As has been pointed out it is on the way out and Samsung has always done a poor job of updating older handsets in the past, but given the fact that they are making the GN and this have access to the ICS code who knows that may change at least in the short term, but as a former Fascinate user I would not hold my breath if I were you.
    At this point I would be surprised if it got gingerbread. LoL
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by dubge View Post
    At this point I would be surprised if it got gingerbread. LoL
    Lol good point ... not owning one myself I forgot it was still stuck on froyo ...

EDIT: actually Android-police just leaked another Gingerbread build for the charge so they are still working on it but my guess is that the Charge will get Gingerbread for Christmas (as I have been telling everyone it would since it came out) right around the time the first of the Motorola and HTC devices start to get official releases and tentative release dates.
    Last edited by VZWRocks; 11-07-2011 at 10:47 PM.

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

I'm running stock 2.3.6 and the GPS is fixed! For those of you coming from Froyo to Gingerbread it will be a huge upgrade. Rumor has it the wait for the OTA won't be long now.

EOL already?

RIP ol charge you were OK for awhile but nothing special.

Nexus here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    For those of you coming from Froyo to Gingerbread it will be a huge upgrade.
    In what ways, exactly? I don't really have any GPS problems. What else does it fix?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck2 View Post
    In what ways, exactly? I don't really have any GPS problems. What else does it fix?
    Battery life is greatttttt. Today I got 9 hours of heavy use

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

For reference I'm running the stock leak of 2.3.6 with Launcher Pro Plus.

1. GPS used to take 5-10 minutes to lock in. Now it locks in 5-10 seconds.

2. Battery life improvement. I got 13 hours today with moderate to heavy use. I used to get 8-10 hours.

3. Everything runs a lot smoother. I can scroll between home screens and the app drawer with no lag or jittering.

4. It just looks better. i.e. The notification bar is now black and looks great with my mostly black background.

6. There are a lot of little insignificant things also. They all add up to make a noticeable improvement to the user experience.

In my opinion, the majority of negative comments about this phone since it's release are now null and void. The Charge is now the phone I wish it was when I bought it 5 months ago.
    Thanked by 3:
    mkoronka likes this.

So do you have to root to install the leak? If not, can someone give me a quick rundown of how its done?
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by drd48 View Post
    So do you have to root to install the leak? If not, can someone give me a quick rundown of how its done?
    The leak is an RUU which means it will wipe your phone. No rooting required but you loose your data and have to download the apps again.

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

In general from what I have seen with other devices upgraded to gingerbread they experience is faster, the UI smoother, apps run better, battery life usually improves. It's mostly behind the scenes changes but the phones feel like new phones.

Thanked by:
    SOTK 

What about issues with the data signal? Does it switch better between the different radios? I'm still having trouble with it losing data completely on stock froyo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast