SImple GPS Fix

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the GPS issues that a lot of people have had with it taking forever to lock in. I upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3.6 and my GPS worked great... for a while. It went back to not working again. I called tech support and they first verified that I had all three location settings on. Then, they led me to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Global Data Roaming Access>Allow Access for all Trips. I don't understand why turning that feature on fixes the GPS, but it does.

Try it if you are having GPS issues. It worked for me!

Last edited:

JihadSquad

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the GPS issues that a lot of people have had with it taking forever to lock in. I upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3.6 and my GPS worked great... for a while. It went back to not working again. I called tech support and they first verified that I had all three location settings on. Then, they led me to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Global Data Roaming Access>Allow Access for all Trips. I don't understand why turning that feature on fixes the GPS, but it does.

It didn't help me.

shopman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

It didn't work for me either

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
lol. All of your responses are hilarious! Samsung has always had issues with the GPS in all of there Android Handsets. Dont know why, but its just takes a little bit longer to Fix.

cvfactor

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I always had issues getting a GPS lock with Google maps. It seems it would take about 10 minutes before my location was determined.

I switched to Mapquest and get a lock instantaneously. It seems to have all the features of Google maps, its totally free and I actually like it better.

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
No such luck here, it says I am somewhere in the vicinity of Philadelphia..... Big Place

Have you tried GPS Test and GPS Status from the app store? I have had luck with those. I also suggest the Blue Arrow Nav app from Google and not Google Maps app. I only suggest that just because I have had luck with it.

Dave

kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Twitter @kraisydave

Android, Tech, HDR Photos

Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone!

Reactions: barrycinti

geoclooney

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about GPS Test and GPS Status...I've used them both and they're really cool. However, one thing I've never understood through all of the GPS issues that have been discussed--do these apps (and others like them) actually DO anything to help GPS get a fix?

I'm aware that these apps allow you to clear/reset the A-GPS information. I admit I don't fully understand the mechanics of that, but from what I understand it really doesn't have much effect unless you haven't done it in months or if you are new to a certain area. I know in my own experience the resetting of A-GPS doesn't have any consistently positive effect--and I can say that because I've tried it hundreds of times during the "waiting for fix" periods.

I almost always try to run an app like this (I'm currently using GPS Aids), when I'm navigating, but I have no idea if I'm just wasting my time.

Does anyone know what an app like this can do to help find a fix? Is there something special within the app I should be doing?

Thanks for any ideas.

geoclooney

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: SImple GPS Fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you guys tried this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1254812

Worked like a charm for me!

Well, I'm not rooted, so I can't really try that. As I read someone say in another thread, I shouldn't have to root to fix a bug such as this. I've considered rooting, but there's at least some hope an update may be coming. And those who have the leaks have widely reported the GPS is fixed in the new version.

In the meantime, I'll keep using the apps (GPS Test, GPS Status, GPS Aids, etc.), but I'd be interested in hearing any opinion on what these do and if there are any special instructions in order to get the most out of them.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried GPS Test and GPS Status from the app store? I have had luck with those. I also suggest the Blue Arrow Nav app from Google and not Google Maps app. I only suggest that just because I have had luck with it.

Dave

I tried the blue arrow method and got GPS lock in seconds!
THX

kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Twitter @kraisydave

Android, Tech, HDR Photos

Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone!