what can I do on my deactivated Droid Charge phone?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
what can I do on my deactivated Droid Charge phone? (after upgrading to another VZW 4G smartphone)

Can I do the following?

(1) browse the internet and access Gmail/Docs/Calander via WiFi

(2) access the Android Market and buy/download/install apps?

(3) access the Amazon Apps store and buy/download/install apps?

(4) use Skype to make/receive voice or video calls over WiFi?

(5) receive future OTA updates? (or heaven forbid, Ice Cream Sandwich on Droid Charge?)

(6) make 911 call in emergency situations (will this require a deactivated 4G SIM card inside?)

(7) buy/download and read e-Books using Amazon Kindle App via Wifi

Thanks! :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
what can I do on my deactivated Droid Charge phone? (after upgrading to another VZW 4G smartphone)

Can I do the following?

(1) browse the internet and access Gmail/Docs/Calander via WiFi

(2) access the Android Market and buy/download/install apps?

(3) access the Amazon Apps store and buy/download/install apps?

(4) use Skype to make/receive voice or video calls over WiFi?

(5) receive future OTA updates? (or heaven forbid, Ice Cream Sandwich on Droid Charge?)

(6) make 911 call in emergency situations (will this require a deactivated 4G SIM card inside?)

(7) buy/download and read e-Books using Amazon Kindle App via Wifi

Thanks! :)

All but #5. Updates are provided through VZW data network....although you can probably get the download here at AC and apply it manually

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
All but #5. Updates are provided through VZW data network....although you can probably get the download here at AC and apply it manually

since my new phone will also be a Verizon 4G phone, can't I just take that 4G SIM card and
insert it into my deactivated Droid Charge? Will this allow me to get future OTA updates on
the Charge? (afterwards I'll just put the SIM card back in my new 4G phone?)

or if that doesn't work, how about calling VZW and have them swap the two phones for a few days.... then swap them back?

:)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
since my new phone will also be a Verizon 4G phone, can't I just take that 4G SIM card and
insert it into my deactivated Droid Charge? Will this allow me to get future OTA updates on
the Charge? (afterwards I'll just put the SIM card back in my new 4G phone?)

or if that doesn't work, how about calling VZW and have them swap the two phones for a few days.... then swap them back?

:)

My nexus and charge use different size cards so you can't swap in this case.

Also I have my charge to my sister and she had to buy a new Sim card to you it.

But as far as going back and forth using the same number I'm not sure.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Wait... are you saying that Verizon Wireless has 4G SIM cards in two different sizes?

Yes, all the carriers are now moving towards micro-sim cards vs. regular sized sims. Verizon's newer
4G devices like the Stratosphere use the micro-sim. If you have a regular sim, you can cut it down to fit in the newer devices. I also believe you can buy an adaptor to put a micro-sim into earlier devices that took regular sized sims like the Thunderbolt and Charge.

If you don't want to cut your sim down or get an adaptor for it, you can always get a replacement sim for free from Verizon.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I also updated my charge with gingerbread without it being activated. My wife got a new phone so I had it sitting around. When GB was released I turned it on and connected via wifi and updated it.

vwarnick

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I"m trying to re-purpose my charge. Can connect to the Play Store, but consistently get an error when attempting to download. Goes all the way through accepting app permissions to lead and then get:

Error

Error retrieving information fro server [RPC:5:AEC-0]

Any ideas what is going on?

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe wipe data for playstore and try again? It should work, at least it does for me without doing anything special (outside of being on wifi and having a google account linked to it of course)