Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By trifecta
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charge to Nexus and back to Charge

I can honestly say I thought I would be miserable but I am not. There were a few things about the Nexus that were nice but not necessary. The camera shutter speed was nice, in portrait mode the nexus felt better in my hands, overall the nexus felt much more solid and sturdy, ice cream sandwhich was refreshing.... Even with all these things the signal on the nexus was terrible compared to the charge and to be honest the only real reason I am upset is I had to pay the restocking fee which had the phone had s reliable signal I would have kept it.

In the end I saved 250 bucks and it takes me a little longer to take a better quality photo. Hopefully this will help you fellow charge owners who think the nexus is a major upgrade. It isn't.

By the way if we aren't getting ICS does anyone know if there will be a custom ICS rom?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Charge to Nexus and back to Charge

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I have had those evil twisted thoughts (dreams) that if my my contract was up I could be tempted of making the change to the Nexus.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

I passed my Charge to the wife when I got the Nexus. I catch myself looking lovingly at the Charge sometimes. We had a good run together. That being said, I wouldn't trade back.

From the reports it would appear that the Nexus simply reports signal strength with less optimism than other Verizon phones. Meaning that while your (and my) Charge may seem to have a better signal, it probably does not. My Nexus should be here tomorrow so I'll see then. honestly I get a crap signal at home with any cell phone, so as long as the Nexus gets a signal at all it will be at least as good signal-wise as the Charge.

Keep us posted Clak................

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

You have to give them time to send out some updates.
    I'm sorry. Not to bash but the phone being out one week and expecting it to be perfect is ridiculous.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Clak, I wish you the best of luck. In my bedroom with my charge as compared to the nexus NFL.com loaded much faster on my charge. When comparing the up/down speeds side by side there was no question my charge was faster. Now Verizon is stating its a gauge issue. I hope I am wrong because like I said I loves the form factor of the charge and the camera capture speed butthise minor conveniences were not worth the cost.

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

Quote Originally Posted by jbomb11 View Post
    Clak, I wish you the best of luck. In my bedroom with my charge as compared to the nexus NFL.com loaded much faster on my charge. When comparing the up/down speeds side by side there was no question my charge was faster. Now Verizon is stating its a gauge issue. I hope I am wrong because like I said I loves the form factor of the charge and the camera capture speed butthise minor conveniences were not worth the cost.

You have to give them time to work out the bugs. I still have my charge and use it as a wifi device. The signal is better on the charge when i did have it active. I would get about -75 dbm on the charge or less. On the nexus im getting -85dbm. So there is a difference but with that said the nexus is a better phone. The nexus is far faster,and doesn't lag. Plus the support that the nexus is going to get is hands down going to be better than any other phone. I mean 1.2 duel core processor and 1 gb of ram, and updates from google i say the charge is a sinking ship get a nexus if you can.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenshell View Post
    You have to give them time to send out some updates.
    I'm sorry. Not to bash but the phone being out one week and expecting it to be perfect is ridiculous.
    Or the manufacturer could produce something that works before they sell it.
    Thanked by:
    MortiseMaker and arctic388 like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I guess I find it hard to believe with the money that Google and Verizon have that they can't release a perfect phone. Or near perfect, with all of the delays the fact that this phone has data problems that I canning confirm is ludacris. Then Verizon releases PR saying its a gauge software issue. Numbers don't lie and when my charge and my friends DX outperform the GN its pretty plain and clear they are bothnfull of .

I looooooved the nexus and wanted to keep it but couldn't when I had a phone that worked better sitting in a cupboard at my house.

Just my thoughts and as an advocate of Verizon I want this phone to be awesome but it wasn't. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Clak View Post
    From the reports it would appear that the Nexus simply reports signal strength with less optimism than other Verizon phones. Meaning that while your (and my) Charge may seem to have a better signal, it probably does not. My Nexus should be here tomorrow so I'll see then. honestly I get a crap signal at home with any cell phone, so as long as the Nexus gets a signal at all it will be at least as good signal-wise as the Charge.
    For an accurate signal strength indication try Clarus Widgets available in Android market.

Dr Jpeg, are you saying that the db signal level stated in the network settings is not accurate? Doing a side by side comparison of that db level is not an accurate way to gauge the strength? We all know that the bars can be programmed any way needed but surely the signal strength in the settings should be right. Let me know.

Well I've had my Nexus for a few days and I have to say that while it shows a lower signal than the charge, the performance isn't any different. Plus, from what I can tell, the GN uses a 4 bar signal scale while the Charge uses 5 now I beleive, so that's going to cause some difference if you tried to compare them that way (which isn't a good way to compare anyway). I'm really happy with the phone overall, the GPS on the GN is worlds better than that of the Charge.

edit- I'm getting -106 dBm on the signal.
    Last edited by Clak; 12-28-2011 at 10:07 AM.

I got the nexus on release day and I seriously thought about taking it back and go back to my charge. But when I saw the big time developers jumping on the nexus and the sheer amount of roms and kernels that are now available, I quickly changed my mind.
    The charge development scene is on life support. I am a flashaholic, so having a robust dev community is the number one reason to choose a phone.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by GMC MaXx View Post
    I passed my Charge to the wife when I got the Nexus. I catch myself looking lovingly at the Charge sometimes. We had a good run together. That being said, I wouldn't trade back.
    Same exact situation here. Passed the Charge to my wife to replace her X. I see her using it, but the tinkerer in me loves the GNex.

I really love seeing real time data and battery usage. The memory and on-device storage in the Charge, didn't cut it. Plus being able to swipe away running apps without going into Settings is great.

Also, no Guitar Hero, Samsung apps or Blockbuster that were never used and took up storage.

As far as signal, I live in a 3G only area. The first 3 hours I was concerned. Of course it took 3 tries to activate the phone, then it had horrible signal strength. For some reason, it started to behave better. There are usually 4 to 5 bars on the Charge and 3 on the GNex, but both have the same signal strength average of 95 dBm. It is just being displayed differently on the GNex

Sorry Charge, your replacement has arrived.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

To the original OP, if you are looking for a ICS themed ROM, try Eclipse. It is incredibly smooth, fast and is themed very much like ICS. I flashed it last night and what a difference.