Good news! The Charge isn't dead

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I would suppose so. It is being launched as the first lte phone for us cellular. It is going to be rebranded for them as the aviator.

The thing that really does it for me is that it means we will see ICS for sure. There is no way they will abandon support for a "new" phone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

meyer

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Never even thought about getting ICS because of this. I love this phone, really have no problems with it at all. Hopefully they keep supporting it.

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So I looked around and couldn't find anything about this "Aviator" being a re-branded Charge. I DID see something stating that it was a Galaxy S phone. If it's a Charge re-brand, does that mean we have Galaxy S phones, too?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: Jhett

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I am glad to see the phone (sort of) seeing new life out there, and I DO hope that means we will be able to get ICS at some point in the not too distant future.

Charge5150

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So I looked around and couldn't find anything about this "Aviator" being a re-branded Charge. I DID see something stating that it was a Galaxy S phone. If it's a Charge re-brand, does that mean we have Galaxy S phones, too?

Funny thing about that if you buy Samsungs extended battery cover from the samsung website it says Galaxy S on the cover. I guess Verizon needed a "droid" phone and made samsung re-brand it to Verizons needs.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing about that if you buy Samsungs extended battery cover from the samsung website it says Galaxy S on the cover. I guess Verizon needed a "droid" phone and made samsung re-brand it to Verizons needs.

That is what I read when I looked into it some more. The charge became a droid because the bionic got delayed and they had to fill the gap

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
While Samsung may in fact upgrade the phone to ICS there is no assurance that Verizon will bother to upgrade a phone that old.. Phone will be at least a year old by the time there is an ICS upgrade.. Ancient in cell phone world

englishyankee

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately that isn't the Charge. It's actually the Samsung Galaxy S which looks practically identical to the Charge but if you look closely the Charge has a "dip" at the bottom.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that isn't the Charge. It's actually the Samsung Galaxy S which looks practically identical to the Charge but if you look closely the Charge has a "dip" at the bottom.

The Charge is a Galaxy S phone. If you buy a replacement battery cover, it says it right there.
EBC994SBZBSTD_300.gif

The only reason it was branded a "Droid" was Verizon needed a Droid branded LTE phone for launch & the Thunderbolt was already ready already.(lol):confused:

englishyankee

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I knew the Charge was a Galaxy S phone, but there are some differences between the two. Having said that, after doing some research it does seem like it is, in fact, the Charge. Well, regardless, I love my Charge. After having the Charge for about a week or two I went ahead and ordered the Bionic, thinking I would return my Charge. Well, after having the Bionic for all of a day I realized how much I did love the Charge and how much I would miss it. I have to say I hated the Bionic. And, even with dual core the Bionic could not beat the Charge when rendering web pages and upload/download speeds. Camera on Charge was far superior and of course there's that screen. My opinion is that even with bad reviews (is there a phone that doesn't have bad reviews?), US Cellular customers are in for a treat, ICS or not. I'm using Go Launcher Ex and it has zero lag and moves like a charm (trick is to not make your wallpaper scroll). Does make me wonder about ICS for the Charge now, but they say it's not compatible due to TouchWiz and the ram available on it. Is that true?

Reactions: GramieDroid

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
"Here’s a list of Verizon Wireless devices currently scheduled to be upgraded."
"We will continue to update this list as additional details become available throughout the year. Also, follow @VZWNews on Twitter for additional upgrade announcements."

Seems to me this points to the possibility that other devices will be added to the list at a later date. And I think the Charge will get ICS one way or another, whether it is an official release or not doesn't matter to me.

ICS ROMS for the Fascinate work almost flawlessly already. I'm running it on mine, so I can't help but think stable ICS ROMS for the Charge will be available soon.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say it, but I called it. Samsung officially just gave us the middle finger as I expected. :mad:

Samsung details ICS update path for US carriers

The Charge is dead from an official ROM standpoint, I don't know how good the fan made ICS ROMs are at the moment, but what I do know is that I don't want to give Samsung my money unless if it were a Nexus phone since Google would actually support their products!

It's sad how this phone has a slightly better CPU and is 6 months newer than the Nexus S, but the Nexus S can run ICS while this phone can not. :-$

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how many pissed off charge owners are now making phone calls to samsung or crashing their website over this. If it's not being done, it needs to be because this is a bunch of crap. To pay this kind of money for a higher end phone and to have it not be supported is a waste. I would really think hard about ever buying another samsung product!