Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Good news! The Charge isn't dead

With another carrier in the US just now launching the Charge it looks like development will go on from samsungs pov.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    Orville Redenbacher

Default Re: Good news! The Charge isn't dead

So they are making more Charges, which means continued support?
    2005 GSXR 1000
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I would suppose so. It is being launched as the first lte phone for us cellular. It is going to be rebranded for them as the aviator.

The thing that really does it for me is that it means we will see ICS for sure. There is no way they will abandon support for a "new" phone.

GramieDroid likes this.

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    ROM
    Orville Redenbacher

Never even thought about getting ICS because of this. I love this phone, really have no problems with it at all. Hopefully they keep supporting it.
    2005 GSXR 1000

So I looked around and couldn't find anything about this "Aviator" being a re-branded Charge. I DID see something stating that it was a Galaxy S phone. If it's a Charge re-brand, does that mean we have Galaxy S phones, too?
    Jhett---
    Galaxy Note II <- Droid Charge <- Palm Pre
    Lovin' the Droid life...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by JhettDark View Post
    So I looked around and couldn't find anything about this "Aviator" being a re-branded Charge. I DID see something stating that it was a Galaxy S phone. If it's a Charge re-brand, does that mean we have Galaxy S phones, too?
    I guess the logic follows as well as mine does.

http://www.androidcentral.com/us-cel...olls-out-march

Read that and click on the "should be familiar as well" link
    Thanked by:

Cool, thanks. I am glad to see the phone (sort of) seeing new life out there, and I DO hope that means we will be able to get ICS at some point in the not too distant future.
    Jhett---
    Galaxy Note II <- Droid Charge <- Palm Pre
    Lovin' the Droid life...

Quote Originally Posted by JhettDark View Post
    Funny thing about that if you buy Samsungs extended battery cover from the samsung website it says Galaxy S on the cover. I guess Verizon needed a "droid" phone and made samsung re-brand it to Verizons needs.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Charge5150 View Post
    Funny thing about that if you buy Samsungs extended battery cover from the samsung website it says Galaxy S on the cover. I guess Verizon needed a "droid" phone and made samsung re-brand it to Verizons needs.
    That is what I read when I looked into it some more. The charge became a droid because the bionic got delayed and they had to fill the gap

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

While Samsung may in fact upgrade the phone to ICS there is no assurance that Verizon will bother to upgrade a phone that old.. Phone will be at least a year old by the time there is an ICS upgrade.. Ancient in cell phone world

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

I feel the same way and I'm up for a renewal.
    I have no issues once we got rooted GB.

Quote Originally Posted by meyer View Post
    Never even thought about getting ICS because of this. I love this phone, really have no problems with it at all. Hopefully they keep supporting it.

Unfortunately that isn't the Charge. It's actually the Samsung Galaxy S which looks practically identical to the Charge but if you look closely the Charge has a "dip" at the bottom.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    RootBoatz

Quote Originally Posted by englishyankee View Post
    Unfortunately that isn't the Charge. It's actually the Samsung Galaxy S which looks practically identical to the Charge but if you look closely the Charge has a "dip" at the bottom.
    The Charge is a Galaxy S phone. If you buy a replacement battery cover, it says it right there.

The only reason it was branded a "Droid" was Verizon needed a Droid branded LTE phone for launch & the Thunderbolt was already ready already.(lol)

Yes, I knew the Charge was a Galaxy S phone, but there are some differences between the two. Having said that, after doing some research it does seem like it is, in fact, the Charge. Well, regardless, I love my Charge. After having the Charge for about a week or two I went ahead and ordered the Bionic, thinking I would return my Charge. Well, after having the Bionic for all of a day I realized how much I did love the Charge and how much I would miss it. I have to say I hated the Bionic. And, even with dual core the Bionic could not beat the Charge when rendering web pages and upload/download speeds. Camera on Charge was far superior and of course there's that screen. My opinion is that even with bad reviews (is there a phone that doesn't have bad reviews?), US Cellular customers are in for a treat, ICS or not. I'm using Go Launcher Ex and it has zero lag and moves like a charm (trick is to not make your wallpaper scroll). Does make me wonder about ICS for the Charge now, but they say it's not compatible due to TouchWiz and the ram available on it. Is that true?
    Thanked by:

Nope, as expected, the Charge is indeed dead.

As of right now, Verizon has no plans to update this phone. This COULD change, Verizon may add it on the list sometime in the near future. But I'd honestly be really shocked if the Charge got any update of any kind in the future.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

your right, NO samsung phones at all are getting the update....my bad

What I read there is that samsung hasnt given them any list yet...

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    RootBoatz

But they are upgrading the thunderbolt?...serious wtf!

"Here’s a list of Verizon Wireless devices currently scheduled to be upgraded."
    "We will continue to update this list as additional details become available throughout the year. Also, follow @VZWNews on Twitter for additional upgrade announcements."

Seems to me this points to the possibility that other devices will be added to the list at a later date. And I think the Charge will get ICS one way or another, whether it is an official release or not doesn't matter to me.

ICS ROMS for the Fascinate work almost flawlessly already. I'm running it on mine, so I can't help but think stable ICS ROMS for the Charge will be available soon.

Hate to say it, but I called it. Samsung officially just gave us the middle finger as I expected.

The Charge is dead from an official ROM standpoint, I don't know how good the fan made ICS ROMs are at the moment, but what I do know is that I don't want to give Samsung my money unless if it were a Nexus phone since Google would actually support their products!

It's sad how this phone has a slightly better CPU and is 6 months newer than the Nexus S, but the Nexus S can run ICS while this phone can not.

I wonder how many pissed off charge owners are now making phone calls to samsung or crashing their website over this. If it's not being done, it needs to be because this is a bunch of crap. To pay this kind of money for a higher end phone and to have it not be supported is a waste. I would really think hard about ever buying another samsung product!

lol, remember this phone launched at Verizon at $360! I got it from Amazon for $150 and the only way I can justify that price tag is because it came with a 32GB SD card (while other phones kept coming with 2-16GB SD cards).

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoburger View Post
    Hate to say it, but I called it. Samsung officially just gave us the middle finger as I expected.
    Seriously people.. quit patting yourselves on the back claiming victory with your "proof" ..

If the Charge wasnt mentioned (and it wasnt), then there is no news about it, good or bad.. Samsung even say that they may alter the list if and when they feel like it..

I stopped counting the number of "Charge is officially not getting Gingerbread" posts I read, and surprise! You were all wrong.. Im not saying that the doomsayers are wrong this time - Im saying that we dont know until Samsung say something ABOUT THE CHARGE.

b.
    Thanked by 2:
    JhettDark likes this.

I'd say they must not be done (developing/releasing), as with verizion they are only listing tablets, and no phones.

Quote Originally Posted by bangpanther View Post
    Seriously people.. quit patting yourselves on the back claiming victory with your "proof" ..

If the Charge wasnt mentioned (and it wasnt), then there is no news about it, good or bad.. Samsung even say that they may alter the list if and when they feel like it..

I stopped counting the number of "Charge is officially not getting Gingerbread" posts I read, and surprise! You were all wrong.. Im not saying that the doomsayers are wrong this time - Im saying that we dont know until Samsung say something ABOUT THE CHARGE.

b.
    *slap!*
    This is an official final list from Samsung, and A DIFFERENT LIST from the previous link that I posted back in March. The March link did indeed say it was "not final" but this one is obviously the final list. Samsung never gave a crap about this over-priced phone.

As for people saying Charge was never going to get gingerbread, what the heck are you on? Unfinished Gingerbread ROMs were leaked within a month or so of the Charge's release. The ONLY people who hypothesized that the Charge would not get GB is because they thought that maybe Samsung would skip GB and update straight to ICS (LOL!). The reason why they came up with those ridiculous beliefs? Because they wanted some justification on why Samsung are slow at supporting (or in this phone's case not supporting) their products.

You can keep living in some fictional world where Samsung actually gives a crap about you. The rest of us? Yeah, we're here in the real world. We know the truth.

Edit: I'd like to say that, I would love to be wrong about Samsung. That said, I need to go back to XDA and learn more about the ICS custom ROMs they have, I was just hoping they could have built it off of Samsung's official ROM.
    Last edited by Chocoburger; 04-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.

*slap!*
    This is an official final list from Samsung
    Why does this official final list have "This list may be altered as updates are confirmed or released" then? Indeed, the word "final" doesnt appear in it at all.

and A DIFFERENT LIST from the previous link that I posted back in March.
    I was going by the link in your post from today.. Which (when you follow the link in that post to the source on Samsungs website) has the quote above.

You can keep living in some fictional world where Samsung actually gives a crap about you. The rest of us? Yeah, we're here in the real world. We know the truth.
    Never said they did.. No need to get emotional..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast