1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default data loss during phone calls?

Is this normal? i just got this for my kiddo and you loss data during calls. this is the first 4g phone i seen do this. suggestions?

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

Default Re: data loss during phone calls?

What do you mean data loss during phone calls?? Do you mean you are downloading something, a phone call comes in and it interrupts your download?

Or do you mean you are using data while on a phone call? 4G data can be active at the same time as a call.

I have always been able to use 4G data during calls as well. I can surf and use data while on a call.

Really? I thought that one of the differences between Verizon and AT&T was that only AT&T allowed you to use data and voice at the same time. Is that something that changed with the advent of 4G?
    Jhett---
    Galaxy Note II <- Droid Charge <- Palm Pre
    Lovin' the Droid life...

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JhettDark View Post
    Really? I thought that one of the differences between Verizon and AT&T was that only AT&T allowed you to use data and voice at the same time. Is that something that changed with the advent of 4G?
    AT&T's 3g network allows simultaneous voice and data. Verizons 3g does not. But with 4G, you can.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    AT&T's 3g network allows simultaneous voice and data. Verizons 3g does not. But with 4G, you can.
    Thats not quite right, my Thunderbolt does it just fine. To answer the question, when I make a call, all my data service goes out. This is the first "smart phone" that has ever done this. I was just wondering if there is something wrong with the phone or setting wrong. It comes on fine when the call ends.

Suggestions?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am going to guess it is the phone. I talk and use data at the same time a lot for work, nothing drops out for.me

Charged up post!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I was told it was the radio that the calls and data are on the same radio and you can't get it to work on 3G only 4G? Anyone heard this before? I have to call shenanigans or something

ROM
    GummyCharged 2.1

It is a CDMA vs GSM thing. GSM carriers like AT&T and most all around the world have a system that permits calls and data to work at the same time as these are independent services.

CDMA is older and only supports calls or data. Another system added into CDMA with a separate functioning antenna such as 4g could in theory work. But for now its a no go. Welcome to Verizon...Sprint is the same also.

Dave
    www.youtube.com/kraisydave
    www.KDtech.org Twitter @kraisydave
    Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone!