Cutting the cable

lostchord83

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I need to trim my expenses. Choices must be made. As I see it I have 3 somewhat overlapping services. Directv, verizon land line / DSL and verizon cellular 4G with grandfathered unlimited data. Here's my thoughts : disconnect Directv, disconnect verizon land line / DSL and use my 4G Fascinated as a hot spot for home Internet as well as my TV. I will also install an antenna for digital reception of local channels. So I will end up with TV via Internet and antenna and desktop / cell Internet all via the hot spot Fascinate.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Will this work effectively? It hinges on the hot spot delivering enough bandwidth to serve TV and cell phone and cell data, maybe simultaneously. Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge running Google's Android OS v2.3.6 using Tapatalk

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
If you have tethering enabled through Verizon, I see no reason it wouldn't work. If you plan on using a tethering app without paying for the service through Verizon, It would work, but you will be at a very high risk of getting aught due to the sheer amount of data you will be using.

lostchord83

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Excellent advice, I would never have thought of that. Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge running Google's Android OS v2.3.6 using Tapatalk

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I've used extremely high amounts of data with my Verizon unlimited 4G phone for almost a year and have never had any problems with Verizon.

cnlson

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
What do you think?
sounds like what i want to do, but havent yet.

Am I missing something?
not that i can think of. perhaps a roku box?

Will this work effectively?
I would suggest trying it first, in my case i need to access my pc's remotely so, for now, i can't completely cur the cord. i dropped my cable internet down to 1mb from 50 to save some money, but i tether to watch video ect.

It hinges on the hot spot delivering enough bandwidth to serve TV and cell phone and cell data, maybe simultaneously. Thanks.
if you use wireless tether (free) it delivers 3g hotspot speeds (2mb or less) if you use the built in hotspot it delivers up to 10mb which is sufficient for anything i have been able to come up with.

I called verizon to ask about doing this and was essentially told that if i cause network disruption, in otherwords if I make the 4g unusable for others on the same tower i would get QOS'd (reduced speeds) if not, then they really don't care how much i use.