Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default screeching issues

My charge has been screeching during calls for quite awhile now. Since I work for a retailer I was able to demo a nexus for two weeks and it did the same exact thing. I am back to my Charge now and wondering if anyone else has run in to this and if they know what the problem is? Thanks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Something JB

Default Re: screeching issues

I continuously use 3 different Samsung phones and havent had that issue at all....maybe there is a common area that you are using the phone and something there is causing interference?

I have had the same screeching issue for months. Big Red will help exchange (refurb phone) through Sammy since it is under warranty however reading some of the horror stories of Charges exchanged I opted to keep it since everything else works so good, like I would not want to loose the fast GPS lock that I have. I have found a battery pull once every day or two has eliminated 95% of the screeching.

I've had the same issue. I'm now on my 3rd Droid Charge because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
    I've had the same issue. I'm now on my 3rd Droid Charge because of this.
    Try a battery pull for a few days and report back.

battery pull works for me every time i heard the banshee in my phone.

I've had the same problem intermittenly since the GB update.

Ditto. I've had it on only incoming calls but it's very intermittent. It started after flashing a different ROM w/ radios, but it has continued after resetting and installing the OTA push to GB. I don't talk on the phone much so it's not a deal killer for me. Would be nice to get a fix though.

Though battery pulls may help prevent this from happening as much, or as badly, the issue is still with the Samsung phone itself. There are quite a few of these phones out there with the issue, and Samsung and Verizon are aware of it. The issue stems from Samsung, and they're working on it.

If the sound you complain about is blaring, obnoxious, and sounds like digital garbage blasting through a fog horn, a lot of people have experienced this, and there seems to be an understanding of what it is... but nobody is talking about it.

The issue, for me, as well as many other people in a similar situation, is that when you're sitting right close to a tower, and your signal is like -50, you're on the bleeding edge of the traffic getting blasted to your phone, as well as countless thousands of others. The phone seems to be having an issue with equalizing the sound either through the hardware, software or both. So, you get blasted because it can't equalize or control it.

Volume of traffic, proximity to the tower, and any number of other variables can play into this, but one thing seems very certain, is that nearly every time someone is away from that bleeding edge of being right on top of a quality signal or tower, the issue doesn't seem to happen. So when your signal is 50, 60 or 70, I bet you're not likely to "see" or hear the problem.

When it first happened to me, I had ringing in my ear for two days. Pulling the battery always fixed it, but the problem always happened at work and on the way home. There is a tower right close to my building, but causes our Droid and other VZ 4G phones to go screwy within about a 3 block radius of our building. Get outside of that area, and you're golden.

The Fix? Samsung is working on a software patch. Replacing the phone may fix it due to revisions of hardware in the replacement phone, but truth be told... you are getting someone else's cast off.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by standupdad View Post
    Though battery pulls may help prevent this from happening as much, or as badly, the issue is still with the Samsung phone itself. There are quite a few of these phones out there with the issue, and Samsung and Verizon are aware of it. The issue stems from Samsung, and they're working on it.

If the sound you complain about is blaring, obnoxious, and sounds like digital garbage blasting through a fog horn, a lot of people have experienced this, and there seems to be an understanding of what it is... but nobody is talking about it.

The issue, for me, as well as many other people in a similar situation, is that when you're sitting right close to a tower, and your signal is like -50, you're on the bleeding edge of the traffic getting blasted to your phone, as well as countless thousands of others. The phone seems to be having an issue with equalizing the sound either through the hardware, software or both. So, you get blasted because it can't equalize or control it.

Volume of traffic, proximity to the tower, and any number of other variables can play into this, but one thing seems very certain, is that nearly every time someone is away from that bleeding edge of being right on top of a quality signal or tower, the issue doesn't seem to happen. So when your signal is 50, 60 or 70, I bet you're not likely to "see" or hear the problem.

When it first happened to me, I had ringing in my ear for two days. Pulling the battery always fixed it, but the problem always happened at work and on the way home. There is a tower right close to my building, but causes our Droid and other VZ 4G phones to go screwy within about a 3 block radius of our building. Get outside of that area, and you're golden.

The Fix? Samsung is working on a software patch. Replacing the phone may fix it due to revisions of hardware in the replacement phone, but truth be told... you are getting someone else's cast off.
    The new radios supposedly have fixed this. I never had it but the new radios are pretty good as far as signal strength...

pizza, I've been out of the loop for a bit. Which new radios? Part of the OTA update just released within the last week?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Something JB

Yes... You can find them over on xda and Odin just the radio

I started playing w/ the second option 5 from here: FP1 - All packages up to date - xda-developers. It is damn finicky. Anyway I finally got CWM to stick after several tries but I can not get root to stick. I go into CWM and install SU 3.0.7 from SD then reboot. I d/l and install the Superuser Update Fix and force it to run. It force closes almost every time. I've gotten it to finish twice I think. But then when I reinstall Titantium Backup and try to restore an app it stops in the middle(because I've lost root) I try to run Update fix again and it force closes every time at this point. Any ideas?

Long story short. I smashed my Charge but thur the insurance I got a Fascinate which had a defective ear piece, 5 meg camera vs 8 meg and a smaller screen. They did not have a Charge to send me so I had to wait but got it yesterday. The ear piece was very raspy and would drive anyone nuts. Well not having it even 24 hours that screeching fax like squeals started again and the only solution for me is a battery pull. I have put up with this ever since I have owned the first phone.

I can connect to my wireless at home but the browser does not connect(or should say work) but all apps that use the internet, even speed test works. Must be in a setting that I have not found yet so I will be making a call on Monday.

Samsung: If you was the only TV manufacturer on the face of this earth I would listen to the radio for the rest of my life.