Droid Charge contacts lost? This is the Solution!

Wallace2422

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so we have all been there. You wake up one morning and go to call your friends or browse your contacts and the have magically disappeared. 700+ contacts are alot to enter into your phone by hand and most of us dont remember 7 by heart. I had this problem on my Charge 4 monthes ago and delt with it. Well my wife came home today with the exact same problem (she also has the charge) and I have had enough. I was going to recover her contacts one way or another. The problem is that the phone decides it doesnt like the names you have applied to you numbers and gets rid of them. So now you are left with a bunch of numbers and no names.... not very helpfull at all. Despite the fact we will be luck to see honeycomb on this device we should at least expect it to hold contacts. Well, I messed around with display options and accounts till I was blue in the face and had to go a different route. If you have Verizon you are in luck, if not well... im sorry this wont work for you. Verizon offers a free service called backup assistant and if you catch it in time, you will have everything back to normal in no time. So here is the details of the solution.

1. On a computer, goto https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...services/backup-assistantplus/&token=3hMS9Yfl

2. Sign in using your account that is linked to the phone, once signed in you will be able to access this service

3. If you havent used this service before don't worry the contacts you have were automatically synced of the time of use with the phone.

4. Once you get into the backup assistant it will prompt you about their plus service, disregard this and close it out as this is not needed

5. You will see a small list of the basic Verizon contacts that are on the phone at the time of purchase. But wait! There is a deleted contacts list with all of your contacts in it that you lost. Simply click the tab, hit select all and undelete these contacts. Now your contacts will appear in the general contact tab in the assistant. almost there

6. Hit select all on your contacts and goto the action tab, send these contacts to your phone by typing in your cell number in the "to:" box, then hit send and wait for a text message. Once this message appears the charge will give you a message in the status bar that it is downloading your contacts. Wait until its finished and like magic your contacts are back. Done

This has been a constant problem for the charge and will not work for non-verizon customers. Those of you with Verizon though will be able to restore your contact list. To prevent all the steps for the future create a V-Card file on your SIM card and sync all your contacts to this as well as the phone. You'll thank me the next time this happens and you need contacts, but don't have immediate access to a computer. I hope this helps and i'm always looking for tips associated with the Charge. So feel free to message me

Last edited:
Reactions: mkoronka

mkoronka

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Wallace. I have not had this problem but will file this away should it show its ugly face. What I have lost is my speed dial list and the selected ring tones for different contacts but that was no big deal to fix. One thing I can say is I am as happy as a pig in slop with this new update.

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I just took the gingerbread update and lost alot of my contacts. Whenever I would create a new contact I would save to phone when prompted. The contacts saved to google are still in my contacts, but all the others are gone. I never signed up to back up assist will this still work for me?

didonaj

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me- lost all of my phone contacts and when I scroll through my call log the name briefly (part of a second) shows and then just turns to the phone number. I tried to back up from Google but all my contacts were saved to the phone. I have Verizon and went to the backup assistant which is now backup assistant plus (a great free upgrade by Verizon to all of us customers). Anyway there is not a deleted contact tab- only a trash tab and there is nothing in it. any further ideas/solutions???:(

bozzchem

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I saw the title and got all excited for nothing. Like didonaj, I only see a trash tab and my contacts aren't there. Losing all of my contacts was the single worst experience I've had with rooting/flashing. 15 years worth of contacts gone. I mistakenly thought titanium backup backed them up when I did my full system backup. As I rebuild my contact list, I save them to my SD card.

elegantmelody

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I thought I had lost them forever! When you started talking about the Cloud I became more and more depressed because I had not set up an account. But then you said to check in the trash and there they were!!!

Thank you again!

peterjschw

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am a Verizon customer, I followed your instructions exactly, but my contacts were not in the trash. It says my trash is empty. Any other suggestions?

apie32

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
Mine does not have the action tab and the one tab that is there has an export function but it does not allow me to send it to my phone, any other ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki