Verizon Remote Diagnostics (VRD) application with latest update

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
According to Verizon's Tier 2 support, they can detect if your phone is rooted when you allow them to remotely access the phone.

Basically, they have to initiate the process, you give them permission and enter a password they give you which allows them to connect for that session. Whenever they connect to other "personal" parts of your phone, you're supposed to be given another password to enter into your phone to give their system permission to navigate through it.

According to them, they can see everything you can see on your phone, when given permission, and this includes rooting.

This is nothing more than a public service announcement from your local division of paranoia and delusion. Had this been a real emergency, you would have been asked to pull the battery out of your phone, dip it into a tempura batter, and deep fry it until golden brown.

SuD

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Remote Diagnostics (VRD) application with latest upda

Isn't that a given? It is like Remote Desktop in Windows.

Rooting can cause a ton of issues so of course that is going to be part of the diagnostic.

I will never allow a VZW rep to get into my phone, even if I was bone stock and didnt know what rooting even was.

But hey, I am paranoid like that...

millemots

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious what (legitimate) purpose remotely accessing (even with permission) a phone serves. Under what set of circumstances would a VZW rep say, "I'm going to have to remotely access your phone. When you see the pop up screen that says 'Let Verizon rape your privacy?' just click 'OK'." Well, maybe not those exact words, but you get the idea.

I should point out that in, uh, about a *lot* of years of cell phone ownership (man, anyone else remember the Moto MicroTAC?) I don't recall ever calling a provider for any sort of problem that would have benefitted from remotely accessing my phone.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
This is the difference between open and closed development.

I guess whats more insidious is that rooted phones with these types of apps don't need the user's permission to allow someone to remote in or to notify you if someone is rutting around your rooted/custom rommed phone and sd card.

Just sayin' how important it is to know who else has access to your alarm code and extra keys to the new system and locks you just installed at home.

Last edited:

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Sooo... all interested in what this remote access looks like or does, I defaulted my phone, removed my memory card and had them access my phone.

- you see what looks like a white puzzle piece with a bit of red in the status bar
- you get a request for a pin, that the rep must give you, and you have to enter and tap accept
they can see basic stats... memory/storage, battery stats, etc.

- if they want to see contacts, you get another pop up to give them permission or decline their access
- when they access, it's like when you navigate... you see pages turning, you see pages scrolling, etc. The only thing missing is the finger doing the work.

- They don't need mobile data or wifi to do this. They can do it with those features turned off.
At the end, you get a toast message telling you that they're disconnecting.

That said... I don't like it. If they can do it without mobile data or wifi, and I don't have a specific place to turn off the feature, like I said, I don't like it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

This would lend itself to all kinds of social engineering. You mean that's not actually a Verizon rep that I just gave access to my phone? :eek: Personally, I would NEVER allow anyone to remote access my phone, same for my computers.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

This would lend itself to all kinds of social engineering. You mean that's not actually a Verizon rep that I just gave access to my phone? :eek: Personally, I would NEVER allow anyone to remote access my phone, same for my computers.

crap they already know at least 1/2 of their phones are rooted.. remember we live in a age of cpu's aka:smart phones, etc that can talk directly to each other without any human interface.. but if they ask, then we are open to scruntiny, so nope not for me.. pizza dude and myself can get together and do a target practice session..

hm i wonder what all these smart phone and providers would do if none ever upgraded to new phones...
face facts , one day my charge might be a droid charge, the next a galaxy s11, the next it may be a gummybear, next penut butter or Ice cream, crap maybe even a RAZR depending on what we wanna do..
open source is what it is "open source"

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01