t_kopta

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
So what are we actually expecting. The notice says it is merely the FP1 but jumbled up in the listing order..?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Android Central Forums

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
I wonder if it's what the courts have them taking away at Apples request while the law suite goes on? Or perhaps just to fix what they broke in FP1.

t_kopta

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know whether to be excited or worried. It says "new UI" which FP1 brought crap and I don't want to get my hopes up.

t_kopta

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Well my OTA arrived this morning...bitbop is gone, that's all I see. (Yay)

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I had disabled updating sometime ago on my Charge. How did they get this thing through? I need to remove this update somehow.. Any ideas??

Thanks

Update: I edited the build.prop file and changed it to FP5 from EP4. Maybe that will stop the updates / popups for now...

Last edited:

adobeman

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I updated the fingerprint entry in build.prop from FP1 to FP5 and got only heartbreak and misery... boot loop. Had to ODIN ep4 and then use an update.zip, and then root to get back. Funny since changing ep4 to fp1 worked well to stop the fp1 nag.

Not gonna try that again...

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thats odd.. My update of build.prop seemed to stop the problem. I deleted the .zip file out of the cache and I have rebooted with no problem... I just changed the FP1 to FP5 in that one line..No more popups

adobeman

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is odd. Are you stock FP1 with root? I guess it's possible I fat fingered it but I don't think so. I really wouldn't have thought that one line in the file would cause so much greif. I thought it was just for display and reference purposes (like what the ota compares against to see if you need update).

Which exact line did you edit? I did ro.build.fingerprint , perhaps I as supposed to be ro.build.description

Last edited:

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FP5:user/release-keys

everything else says ep4

Last edited:

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
According to a Verizon Tech I spoke with last week regarding my Charge, the FP5 rollout was supposed to fix the dropped signal and garbled sound issues the phone has been having. The update pushed to my phone last night..havent had a chance to look for much difference. One thing I did notice right off, when the phone is starting up, before it finishes media scanning..any icons on the home screen that are saved to SD are faded out. And they aren't available as 'installed' until the SD card is fully scanned. I found that a bit odd.

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Dropped signal fix.. gosh.. I have a Nexus , Charge, and Revo.. All of my 4LTE phones drop signal (just bars, no 4 or 3 g indicator) increasingly more in my area for the last 4 months. Ive seen this issue on verizon's forums from the south east to the west coast .

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I worded that wrong. Not 'signal' so much as dropped calls. The Charge has always had an issue with the 3G backup when 4G drops out, and with losing your side of the call. I've had two replacement phones due to that issue, where the audio dropped out on my side of the call, but I could hear the person on the other end fine, and all with full bar signal and 4g lit up. That was what this fix was to address, and perhaps the USB/SD card issues since I do see a change there when I restarted.

As for being stuck..I've heard that if you reboot the phone three times in succession that it clears some issues with updates.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am currently rooted on stock FP1. I want to go to stock FP5. If I understand correctly, I need to do the following:

1. First unroot
2. Take the OTA FP5 update.
3. Then root

Correct? I should not take the updated on rooted FP1? Would that mess the phone up?

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
I am currently rooted on stock FP1. I want to go to stock FP5. If I understand correctly, I need to do the following:

1. First unroot
3. Then root

Correct? I should not take the updated on rooted FP1? Would that mess the phone up?

Ah so that's what I did wrong. I had to do a restore back to EP4 with ODIN, and am now re-loading and going through the pain of setting everything back up.

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site

1. First unroot
3. Then root

I was able to do the first 2 steps. How do I root again w/ FP5? Is the process different from the ED1 build?

I'm dying from all the restrictions of this stock phone :(

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I was able to do the first 2 steps. How do I root again w/ FP5? Is the process different from the ED1 build?

I'm dying from all the restrictions of this stock phone :(

So you were rooted FP1 and did the first two steps w/out unrooting? Are you still rooted?

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I unrooted and went back to stock, did the updates (ending at FP5), and attempted to root again but keep getting hung up during the GingerBreak part. The GingerSnap method doesn't work either.