Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: Damaged Sd card Error / Wont Mount - Fix??

Dude you are amazing!!!!!!! Thank you so much!

@Stevevets

would you kind to share your experience and way out of the problem.......
    for the sake of sharing and benefit of people who might have the same problem you you....

Photorec is a great free (donation ware) software from cgsecurity.org. Worked great for me to recover vacation videos from corrupted SD camera card.

Highly recommended it.
    Thanked by:

i tried this.. it worked..It was a problem occurring often in my android SD card..I always formatted it and installed applications once again..Thanks a lot for ur post...it was very useful

Hello there. i typed this chkdsk/X/F D: which is my sd card drive and when i press enter it says"cannot open volume for direct access" does this mean that there's no way for me to retrieve my files ever again;? I really don't want to format my sd card because of all my pics

@ Carmela Garcia

Mukund's post had helped a few people i think. There is a point when u need to comfirm Yes or No in the DOS approach.

Now when i had the prob, i went for No, and the whole card got formatted. Then i had to use a formatted data recovery software (Recuva) yo get the data back. Yes, it seemd ironical to me, as i dont know much of the technical reasons, but after the dos thing, the recovery software got access to the card (which was connected to the computer through an old phone of mine) and within an hour i had my 680 pics back.

BUT I MUST SAY THIS TO YOU, YOU MIGHT GET THE DATA BACK FOLLOWING ANY STEP HERE, BUT BEFORE THAT, DO IN DEPTH READING ABOUT ALL THE STEPS, INSTRUCTIONS, ETC MENTIONED HERE. ESPECIALLY THAT THE DOS PART. ASK SOMEONE WHO IS WELL VERSED ABOUT DOS ONCE ABOUT THE COMMAND MENTIONED HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmela Garcia View Post
    Hello there. i typed this chkdsk/X/F D: which is my sd card drive and when i press enter it says"cannot open volume for direct access" does this mean that there's no way for me to retrieve my files ever again;? I really don't want to format my sd card because of all my pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Somdk View Post
    Mukund's post had helped a few people i think. There is a point when u need to comfirm Yes or No in the DOS approach.

Now when i had the prob, i went for No, and the whole card got formatted. Then i had to use a formatted data recovery software (Recuva) yo get the data back. Yes, it seemd ironical to me, as i dont know much of the technical reasons, but after the dos thing, the recovery software got access to the card (which was connected to the computer through an old phone of mine) and within an hour i had my 680 pics back.

BUT I MUST SAY THIS TO YOU, YOU MIGHT GET THE DATA BACK FOLLOWING ANY STEP HERE, BUT BEFORE THAT, DO IN DEPTH READING ABOUT ALL THE STEPS, INSTRUCTIONS, ETC MENTIONED HERE. ESPECIALLY THAT THE DOS PART. ASK SOMEONE WHO IS WELL VERSED ABOUT DOS ONCE ABOUT THE COMMAND MENTIONED HERE.
    Please be sure as to what you decide to do, be cautious, and informed what yuo do with the card. There is no surity that the steps mentioned here are a sure solution. Its all based and derived from personal experience. Please take your time. Leaving the card as it is and doing reading wont be any harm. Be carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmela Garcia View Post
    Did you try again ? What is it saying ? Did you try it on some other phone / sd card reader ?

mine says: The type of the file file system is RAW.
    CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

please help me

Quote Originally Posted by Nexed26 View Post

please help me
    Buddy, i dont see any one else visiting this thread.....and i know just the basics of all this....i would say hold on...try...look around, now that you are in Android Central, go post a thread to get some held....here in another thread....see if it helps...
    Need help with a Micro SD card. Got corrupted in my phone.

Buddy, i dont see any one else visiting this thread.....and i know just the basics of all this....i would say hold on...try...look around, now that you are in Android Central, go post a thread to get some held....here in another thread....see if it helps...
    Need help with a Micro SD card. Got corrupted in my phone.
    oh sorry bud its my first time here

oh sorry bud its my first time here
    Did you get your sd card issue solved ?

Did you get your sd card issue solved ?
    nope not yet i did recover some files (mostly photos) but im still really hoping of fixing it

nope not yet i did recover some files (mostly photos) but im still really hoping of fixing it
    How did you find a work around for the RAW problem ?

How did you find a work around for the RAW problem ?
    still working on it altho i got some files back ,im still trying to fix it

please help me
    Noting all, i am still asking, urs is a mirco sd card right ? It is visible as a drive on your computer but CHKDSK cannot read it, right ?

Noting all, i am still asking, urs is a mirco sd card right ? It is visible as a drive on your computer but CHKDSK cannot read it, right ?
    yes it is and i use some software recovering stuff to get some files luckily i recovered some but im still trying to fix it.it is visible on the my computer and yes CHKDSK didnt read it cause its says its unavailable for RAW drives.btw is CHKDSK some sort of disk protocol or something like the ones u used for hidden drive files?

yes it is and i use some software recovering stuff to get some files luckily i recovered some but im still trying to fix it.it is visible on the my computer and yes CHKDSK didnt read it cause its says its unavailable for RAW drives.btw is CHKDSK some sort of disk protocol or something like the ones u used for hidden drive files?
    I will not say it myself, but CHKDSK checks for errors on disks, as the name suggests. You read more about it on Google. Also in dos/command key in HELP CHKDSK to know more about its functions, i think thats the proper code. Also have you tried Recuva, it only saved me when my memory card went currpt.
    Thanked by:
    Nexed26 likes this.

I will not say it myself, but CHKDSK checks for errors on disks, as the name suggests. You read more about it on Google. Also in dos/command key in HELP CHKDSK to know more about its functions, i think thats the proper code. Also have you tried Recuva, it only saved me when my memory card went currpt.
    Recuva?ok amma try it later.so does it also recover phone files saved in te sd card?im really hoping on recovering them anyways thanks buddy

Recuva?ok amma try it later.so does it also recover phone files saved in te sd card?im really hoping on recovering them anyways thanks buddy
    I had kept only media files on the card. Yes got it all back after i accidentally formatted the card . But i am not very sure, what do you mean by phone files ? I remember choosing the wanted files types to be picked up by the Recuva software.

I had kept only media files on the card. Yes got it all back after i accidentally formatted the card . But i am not very sure, what do you mean by phone files ? I remember choosing the wanted files types to be picked up by the Recuva software.
    for some reasons i installed my phone files/applications on my sd card i really dont know why and what made me do but yeah it happened and now im still hoping of somewhat recovering it

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I just wanted to share my SD card recovery story to those who might need it. I had a unreadable/damaged SD card that when I put the card into my camera and it said "Card Error. Needs to be formatted before use." I tried reading it in Windows and it would ask me to format before usage.

I tried to download several programs to try to recover the photos/videos. They all have one caveat: they all work if the listed size of your card in Windows is the same as the actual listed size on the card itself. I had many great photos from a recent trip to Hong Kong that I would want back. We had thought about going again on the trip to recover the photos. I had seen on some forums that Recoverfab was helpful (fix repair CF SD SDHC memory card/flash drive-format error software). The owner of the site said that this was a problem he could readily fix for me, so I sent him the card via USPS Priority Mail. (On a side note, USPS is really slow to ship to Germany, so I would recommend something else). Upon receipt, it only took 2 days to recover all the photos from my card. I really recommend you guys give this guy a shot if self-fixing solutions don't work.

I ended up having a very simple fix.

I'm running OS X and I used an adaptor to plug in my microSD card to my laptop.
    1. When I first opened Disk Utility (in Applications>Utilities), the SD card showed up but the "NO NAME" partition was grayed out.
    2. So, I selected the SD card and ejected it, then pulled it out and reinserted it into the reader.
    3. This time, the "NO NAME" partition was black. I held my breath and clicked the Repair Disk button and, voila, my Samsung GS3 displayed all my pictures and videos once more (after putting it back in my phone - don't forget to eject!)

I turned on WiFi sync on Dropbox again.
    Thanked by:

My sd card wont mount so in words it wont read.

Quote Originally Posted by Trae Long View Post
    My sd card wont mount so in words it wont read.
    Have you tried all the preliminary checks mentioned in all the posts above ?

Posted via Android Central App
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast