Droid Charge: Damaged SD card Error / Won't Mount - Fix??

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Damaged Sd card Error / Wont Mount - Fix??

hi there,

i am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S Duos GT-S7562
I SUDDENLY started facing this problem on way back home from a long beach tour with family and had hundreds of pictures on the SD card.

I DID FINALLY MANAGED TO GET BACK ALL THE PICTURES AND VIDEOS AND SONGS, BACKED UP CONTACTS...ALL OF IT...

what was mentioned by mukundrathod111 is what got me to a partial better stand.

i had put my SD card in another phone, that showed it on the computer as an drive that had no files but showed only 1.5 GB free out of the available 3.8GB.

I noted the drive alphabet and went into command prompt and executed chkdsk /X /F H: as explained by mukundrathod111, and when it was about to end, it asked me in terms of a Y or N something about CHAINED FILES or something....as i did not understand what it was, i though giving a YES would be a bad idea and thus pressed NO. and instantly ALL FILES WERE WIPED CLEAN !!!!

I WAS LIKE ****...WOULD DID I DO........!!!
BUT I DID NOT RUN A FORMAT OR PUT / PASTED NEW FILES THERE EITHER

then, my search changed tracks from a "damaged SD card' to "undelete files deletd by CHKDSK"....

this was my last resort....after reading i a hell lot of blogs and threads and posts, i understood that even after the chkdsk had cleared away the files, they were actually not deleted. the pointers, (for a IT-fathead like me, it translated to simple address plates in front of houses,) are deleted, the actual files remain till the time, next set of fresh files takes their place....SO PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT TRANSFER ANYTHING INTO THE CONCERNED SD CARD UNTILL OR FORMAT IT UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY WANT TO LOOSE ALL THE DATA....

( these steps worked for me....as i am saying it now...one after the other....i have no clue or gaurantee that these steps will also work for you....please take your time....think over it...the corrupt data will not evaporate away if you consult more technical people, proper mobile maintenance shops, read around, ask knowledgeable people, etc )

now, as i come back to my point, after trying many undelete software, some simply stated that there were no files at all, some traced the files but asked for paid membership / registration, etc for the files to be SAVED not just listed...

the one that worked for me was Recuva.
it can be downloaded from the link -
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
and the complete recovery process with the SAVE feature is FREE for use......

download it, install it and locate the drive that is concerned SD card drive.....
let me tell you, it will take time, maybe 3,4,5 hours, but i got my file back after the same wait.....

there are different options to recover only one type of file, say only pictures, only music, only videos,or
"all files" ...

( here i had selected ONLY PICTURES at the first go as i was very concerned about the many trip pictures, and after it recovered me the pictures, i went for videos and then files...)

after maybe a couple of hours, the result was displayed (THUMBNAIL VIEW), with CHECK BOX for each file.
on the top left, there is an option for ADVANCED FEATURES....click it....
the same files are listed like a list, check the TOP MOST check box and mention A DIFFERENT LOCATION (DIFFERENT DRIVE IS BEST)....
hit RECOVER...

You should have the pictures recovered and saved in the destination drive/folder in a few minutes....
then you can re run the process for songs or documents, etc......

ALL THIS GOT MY "DAMAGED SD CARD PROBLEM SOLVED WITHOUT LOSING THE DATA"

i also had read that this problem is a SAMSUNG problem....
for caution, i now use EXTERNAL sd card for only songs....

files and pictures are saved on the phone memory....
i have apps to sync these to cloud accounts...(all free)...
files - GOOGLE DRIVE (5 GB) (needs a manual transfer to cloud)
pictures - DROPBOX (2 GB)..(sync automatically) signup at http://db.tt/yXHyyS2B

for DROPBOX, I periodically download the pics from the cloud to my computer, so i dont run out of cloud memory, and also from the phone....

yes, a bit HECTIC.....but at least i dont have to cry and think of rack my head on LIFE or DEATH situations over pictures of loved ones.... [BOX]:):):):)[/BOX]

i hope all this helps you.......
take care......

DONT PANIC :)

Last edited:

J Bergsma

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Having the same problem over and over again with 8 Gb Samsung Cl.4 SD and 32 Gb Adata Cl.4 SD. Sometimes after unmounted/damaged/etc. not working SD in Phone will work on computer or aren't being recognized at all. In Windows or other devices the card is than dead.

However so far with only the program Gparted in Gnu/Linux or the live-cd you can unmount the partition of the SD and repair the SD. The prblem here every time is: FILESYSTEM NEEDS TO BE ENLARGED TO FILL PARTITION COMPLETELY. After that repair the SD's work again every time. Only my Phone does the corrupting of filesystem SD-card, the cards never have problem in other devices.

Could there be the problem ?

Gparted report in Dutch:

Bestandssysteem (fat32) op /dev/sdb1 controleren en repareren 00:01:35 ( GESLAAGD )

/dev/sdb1 kalibreren 00:00:00 ( GESLAAGD )

pad: /dev/sdb1
begin: 2048
eind: 62332927
grootte: 62330880 (29.72 GiB)

bestandssysteem op /dev/sdb1 controleren op fouten en deze (indien mogelijk) repareren 00:00:08 ( GESLAAGD )

dosfsck -a -w -v /dev/sdb1

dosfsck 3.0.12 (29 Oct 2011)
dosfsck 3.0.12, 29 Oct 2011, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID "mkdosfs"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
512 bytes per logical sector
16384 bytes per cluster
32 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 16384 (sector 32)
2 FATs, 32 bit entries
7798784 bytes per FAT (= 15232 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 15613952 (sector 30496)
1946887 data clusters (31897796608 bytes)
32 sectors/track, 64 heads
0 hidden sectors
62330880 sectors total
Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/sdb1: 12615 files, 495884/1946887 clusters

bestandssysteem vergroten tot de partitie geheel is opgevuld 00:01:27 ( GESLAAGD )

met gebruik van libparted

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Having the same problem over and over again with 8 Gb Samsung Cl.4 SD and 32 Gb Adata Cl.4 SD. Sometimes after unmounted/damaged/etc. not working SD in Phone will work on computer or aren't being recognized at all. In Windows or other devices the card is than dead.

However so far with only the program Gparted in Gnu/Linux or the live-cd you can unmount the partition of the SD and repair the SD. The prblem here every time is: FILESYSTEM NEEDS TO BE ENLARGED TO FILL PARTITION COMPLETELY. After that repair the SD's work again every time. Only my Phone does the corrupting of filesystem SD-card, the cards never have problem in other devices.

Could there be the problem ?

Gparted report in Dutch:

Bestandssysteem (fat32) op /dev/sdb1 controleren en repareren 00:01:35 ( GESLAAGD )

/dev/sdb1 kalibreren 00:00:00 ( GESLAAGD )

pad: /dev/sdb1
begin: 2048
eind: 62332927
grootte: 62330880 (29.72 GiB)

bestandssysteem op /dev/sdb1 controleren op fouten en deze (indien mogelijk) repareren 00:00:08 ( GESLAAGD )

dosfsck -a -w -v /dev/sdb1

dosfsck 3.0.12 (29 Oct 2011)
dosfsck 3.0.12, 29 Oct 2011, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID "mkdosfs"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
512 bytes per logical sector
16384 bytes per cluster
32 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 16384 (sector 32)
2 FATs, 32 bit entries
7798784 bytes per FAT (= 15232 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 15613952 (sector 30496)
1946887 data clusters (31897796608 bytes)
32 sectors/track, 64 heads
0 hidden sectors
62330880 sectors total
Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/sdb1: 12615 files, 495884/1946887 clusters

bestandssysteem vergroten tot de partitie geheel is opgevuld 00:01:27 ( GESLAAGD )

met gebruik van libparted

is the card visible and readable from another phone or sd card adaptr ?
if yes, then, copy aside all data and discard this concerned sd card and get a new one....

if you know and are well knowledged about ms - dos , read post#13.....

following his way, at one point you need to choose YES or NO - and i had taken NO, and that had cleared all data,
i then had to use a UNDELETE software to get all of them back, very very time taking, but i got all of it back....
(this way i think my computer system got a access to the card......before ...it only showed EMPTY....BUT still using up3GB or so.....)
upto you to decide if you want to try those steps...
think and judge well...
consult a few knowledgeable persons....

i know less of all these , and like to thus take precautions nowadays....

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

@Stevevets

would you kind to share your experience and way out of the problem.......
for the sake of sharing and benefit of people who might have the same problem you you....:)

devenkalra

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Photorec is a great free (donation ware) software from cgsecurity.org. Worked great for me to recover vacation videos from corrupted SD camera card.

Highly recommended it.

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

i tried this.. it worked..It was a problem occurring often in my android SD card..I always formatted it and installed applications once again..Thanks a lot for ur post...it was very useful

Carmela Garcia

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Hello there. i typed this chkdsk/X/F D: which is my sd card drive and when i press enter it says"cannot open volume for direct access" does this mean that there's no way for me to retrieve my files ever again;? I really don't want to format my sd card because of all my pics

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

@ Carmela Garcia

Mukund's post had helped a few people i think. There is a point when u need to comfirm Yes or No in the DOS approach.

Now when i had the prob, i went for No, and the whole card got formatted. Then i had to use a formatted data recovery software (Recuva) yo get the data back. Yes, it seemd ironical to me, as i dont know much of the technical reasons, but after the dos thing, the recovery software got access to the card (which was connected to the computer through an old phone of mine) and within an hour i had my 680 pics back.

BUT I MUST SAY THIS TO YOU, YOU MIGHT GET THE DATA BACK FOLLOWING ANY STEP HERE, BUT BEFORE THAT, DO IN DEPTH READING ABOUT ALL THE STEPS, INSTRUCTIONS, ETC MENTIONED HERE. ESPECIALLY THAT THE DOS PART. ASK SOMEONE WHO IS WELL VERSED ABOUT DOS ONCE ABOUT THE COMMAND MENTIONED HERE.

Last edited:

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Hello there. i typed this chkdsk/X/F D: which is my sd card drive and when i press enter it says"cannot open volume for direct access" does this mean that there's no way for me to retrieve my files ever again;? I really don't want to format my sd card because of all my pics
Mukund's post had helped a few people i think. There is a point when u need to comfirm Yes or No in the DOS approach.

Now when i had the prob, i went for No, and the whole card got formatted. Then i had to use a formatted data recovery software (Recuva) yo get the data back. Yes, it seemd ironical to me, as i dont know much of the technical reasons, but after the dos thing, the recovery software got access to the card (which was connected to the computer through an old phone of mine) and within an hour i had my 680 pics back.

BUT I MUST SAY THIS TO YOU, YOU MIGHT GET THE DATA BACK FOLLOWING ANY STEP HERE, BUT BEFORE THAT, DO IN DEPTH READING ABOUT ALL THE STEPS, INSTRUCTIONS, ETC MENTIONED HERE. ESPECIALLY THAT THE DOS PART. ASK SOMEONE WHO IS WELL VERSED ABOUT DOS ONCE ABOUT THE COMMAND MENTIONED HERE.

Please be sure as to what you decide to do, be cautious, and informed what yuo do with the card. There is no surity that the steps mentioned here are a sure solution. Its all based and derived from personal experience. Please take your time. Leaving the card as it is and doing reading wont be any harm. Be carefull.

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Did you try again ? What is it saying ? Did you try it on some other phone / sd card reader ?

Nexed26

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

mine says: The type of the file file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

please help me :(

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Buddy, i dont see any one else visiting this thread.....and i know just the basics of all this....i would say hold on...try...look around, now that you are in Android Central, go post a thread to get some held....here in another thread....see if it helps...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...elp-micro-sd-card-got-corrupted-my-phone.html

Nexed26

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Noting all, i am still asking, urs is a mirco sd card right ? It is visible as a drive on your computer but CHKDSK cannot read it, right ?

Nexed26

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Noting all, i am still asking, urs is a mirco sd card right ? It is visible as a drive on your computer but CHKDSK cannot read it, right ?
yes it is and i use some software recovering stuff to get some files luckily i recovered some but im still trying to fix it.it is visible on the my computer and yes CHKDSK didnt read it cause its says its unavailable for RAW drives.btw is CHKDSK some sort of disk protocol or something like the ones u used for hidden drive files?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude