Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Charge: Damaged SD card Error / Won't Mount - Fix??

So in short my Droid Charge's SD card is screwed up.

I keep getting the message Damaged SD Card message in my notifications and I click it every time to format but then it doesnt do anything. When I try to view my photo gallery it says the sd card is blank or that there is no sd card. It wont let me use the camera because theres no sd card.

I'm rooted running Tweaked 3.0 with the latest FP5 updates after unrooting back to stock in order to get them. Tried to Odin back to stock a few times and then reflashing Tweaked a few times and still the same thing. Did factory/data reset, cache wipe, dalvik wipe a thousand times as well.

I am able to mount the sd card briefly in ClockworkMod Recovery, to view the files on the sd card but then about a minute or less later the sd card seems to unmount itself and becomes unrecognizable. Same for when I connect the phone via USB to my Windows 7 PC. If I pull out the physical sd card from the device, put it back in, hit connect to storage...the PC will recognize it for about a minute basically teasing me, letting me transfer a couple small files...and then unmounts itself and stops being read. Because of this I cant seem to partition the sd card in Windows 7 nor can I get it to complete and Check Disk.

I even bit the bullet while trying to format the sd card in CWM, and then while connect to the PC and I cant even get the card to format...

Obviously I'd prefer to some how save all the files on there before having to format if possible.

Tried searching around the forums but nothing seems to be similar to my problem. The ONLY thing I can come up with for the cause was that I mistakenly flashed the charge.PIT file while flashing Tweaked 3 in Odin. Not sure if thats the cause...

Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks!!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-25-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    Angelo Cantos likes this.

Default Re: Damaged Sd card Error / Wont Mount - Fix??

I had the same issue as per vzw sd card slot faulty. If you have a spare device check to see if it reads your sd that will rule out a bad card

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ya I tried using an SD adapter that held the micro SD card, put that directly into my laptop's SD card slot and still had the same experience...it briefly reads and mounts...where i have enough time to dig few a couple folders on there and drag a couple small text docs off...then stops working. Still cant seem to format either in the command prompt, regular windows 7 interface, or clockworkmod recovery.

I also tried it in my Transformer Prime tablet and it shows that theres a micro sd card in there but says that its empty.
    Thanked by:
    jesyu 

Unhappy Re: Damaged Sd card Error / Wont Mount - Fix??

Mine is doing the same thing. It was working fine about 20 minutes ago and I dont know whats wrong with it. I've dropped it some but it's never done this before and I havent dropped it any today.. What do I do? Please help!
    Eric Babilonia likes this.

Are you looking to recover lost and deleted data from damaged or corrupted SD card? Don't worry here is the solution you can by using SD card recovery software. This software helps you to recover all lost and deleted data from SD card. The best thing is that this software is available in free trial version you can and try for recovery.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I had the same problem with my SGS3 using a 64GB SD card. Even when safely ejecting the card from my computer it was always corrupted. So my work around was not to ever remove the card from my phone and I used the WiFi File Explorer PRO found on Google Play. It's quick and easy. Now I can manage all my music and photos without having to reformat my SD card all the time. Hope this helps.

Well I tried the restore lost data from sd card and it's telling to install sd card first. What do i do? It's not even reading that its in. But in the notifications it's telling damaged sd card you may have to reformat it. Please help someonei don't want to loose pics or music.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by DionsGirl View Post
    Well I tried the restore lost data from sd card and it's telling to install sd card first. What do i do? It's not even reading that its in. But in the notifications it's telling damaged sd card you may have to reformat it. Please help someonei don't want to loose pics or music.
    are you trying to recover it from the phone or are you using an adaptor?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

My card is doing the same. I can't go to my gallery. I can't use my camera. And it wont. let me listen to my music. It won'tlet me change anything in my settings for my CD card what do I do.

same issue with a rotted nook....

sd card will freaze and can't dl, install, delete, anything...

any solutions?

same issues,,,,,,followed by abbove users,,,,? sd card damaged, not to format, not to mount, no sd card,,,,,,but i want lost data from sd card.

I have just try this.. on my tablet i have 2 device sd card working on my phone.. but not working in my tablet.... now wandering try to scan my sdcard on theres 1 virus i clean it and now working... this only workd on when comp reads the sd card......
    Thanked by:

Wink Re: Damaged Sd card Error / Wont Mount - Fix??

I think I Got it Finally.
    Recovering Data is not the solution Not even Formatting your SD card.
    I have the same problem after some days it doesn't load some Apps in Android when i check it in the settings it shows "DAMAGED SD CARD"
    I tried to connect with SD CARD Adapter slot in my Laptop but still couldn't detect and it asked to Format it.
    I tried to fix it with "CHKDSK" utility but couldn't do it through windows.
    But could do it with command prompt.
    Not if you have the same problem follow.....

connect your SD card to computer.
    open command prompt.
    How ? .......
    open run from start button
    then type "cmd"
    now type

chkdsk /X /F <SD card drive letter>:

If its K drive then

chkdsk /X /F K:

It will check your card and will repair it.
    Have patience it will take around 10 min.
    when it is done windows will detect your card evn your android phone.
    Have a nice day......
    Thanked by 18:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

I have a transcend SD that I'm trying to fix. Same problems as with all of you.
    Booted up in Fedora, went to disk Utilities. Formatted it perfectly, no problems.
    Back in Windows, I still had issues picking it up.
    Once I got it Windows to see the damn card I ran cmd in admin. chkdsk /X /F U:
    Windows returned:
    "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."

Solution. throw it away. stop the aggravation buy a new one.

You Helped me mukundrathod111 .
    thank alot

mukundrathod111 you are a life saver, or least a irreplaceable picture and video saver

I did basically what you said from the cmd prompt

I used chkdsk G: /f

G: is my drive letter, I think that goes first, then whatever controls (ie /f)

Low and behold my phone is straight again!
    I looked online for helpful chkdsk command breakdowns

thank you, thank you, thank you

PS currently backing all my stuff up to some cloud!

Hey mukundrathod111, thanks a lot! you saved my day. I had exactely this same problem (Android saying "card damaged" and offering to format, but won't succeed). For a couple of hours I was googling and trying to find a solution till I found your post! IT WORKED. I was about to through away my brand new 32GB SD card, you saved my day (and my pocket )

I'm having the same problem !
    I was on the internet then my phone froze so I took the battery out left my phone off for a few min then turned it back on. Then I get a notification on the top of my screen saying damaged external sd card. I tried going to my gallery &' it says no sd card inserted. It says I can mount it &' when I do the same message comes up. I don't want it to delete my pictures or apps
    Any help ?

hey i kept trying to fix my damaged sd card but nothing would work
    until i finally tried something. all you need a another android phone and
    your damaged sd card. and all you do is plug in the sd card in the other phone
    it should say its damaged or something and all you do is touch it in the notifications
    and it will as you to format it so do it and after its done put it back on your
    original phone]
    and there you have a working sd card
    took me a while to figure this out and i can gaurantee it will work on yours.

mukundrathod111

Will this delete the contents of the card?? I have lots pics of my daughter and I am not looking forward to "reformatting"

Did you tried it? Did this deleted your files?

- - - Updated - - -

Will this delete the contents of the card?

hi there,
    to Violeta Chelm ,
    to Megan SorgLoveland,

that process will delete all files....
    after all - its a format process...clears away all things....

hi there,

i am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S Duos GT-S7562
    I SUDDENLY started facing this problem on way back home from a long beach tour with family and had hundreds of pictures on the SD card.

I DID FINALLY MANAGED TO GET BACK ALL THE PICTURES AND VIDEOS AND SONGS, BACKED UP CONTACTS...ALL OF IT...

what was mentioned by mukundrathod111 is what got me to a partial better stand.

i had put my SD card in another phone, that showed it on the computer as an drive that had no files but showed only 1.5 GB free out of the available 3.8GB.

I noted the drive alphabet and went into command prompt and executed chkdsk /X /F H: as explained by mukundrathod111, and when it was about to end, it asked me in terms of a Y or N something about CHAINED FILES or something....as i did not understand what it was, i though giving a YES would be a bad idea and thus pressed NO. and instantly ALL FILES WERE WIPED CLEAN !!!!

I WAS LIKE ****...WOULD DID I DO........!!!
    BUT I DID NOT RUN A FORMAT OR PUT / PASTED NEW FILES THERE EITHER

then, my search changed tracks from a "damaged SD card' to "undelete files deletd by CHKDSK"....

this was my last resort....after reading i a hell lot of blogs and threads and posts, i understood that even after the chkdsk had cleared away the files, they were actually not deleted. the pointers, (for a IT-fathead like me, it translated to simple address plates in front of houses,) are deleted, the actual files remain till the time, next set of fresh files takes their place....SO PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT TRANSFER ANYTHING INTO THE CONCERNED SD CARD UNTILL OR FORMAT IT UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY WANT TO LOOSE ALL THE DATA....

( these steps worked for me....as i am saying it now...one after the other....i have no clue or gaurantee that these steps will also work for you....please take your time....think over it...the corrupt data will not evaporate away if you consult more technical people, proper mobile maintenance shops, read around, ask knowledgeable people, etc )

now, as i come back to my point, after trying many undelete software, some simply stated that there were no files at all, some traced the files but asked for paid membership / registration, etc for the files to be SAVED not just listed...

the one that worked for me was Recuva.
    it can be downloaded from the link -

and the complete recovery process with the SAVE feature is FREE for use......

download it, install it and locate the drive that is concerned SD card drive.....
    let me tell you, it will take time, maybe 3,4,5 hours, but i got my file back after the same wait.....

there are different options to recover only one type of file, say only pictures, only music, only videos,or
    "all files" ...

( here i had selected ONLY PICTURES at the first go as i was very concerned about the many trip pictures, and after it recovered me the pictures, i went for videos and then files...)

after maybe a couple of hours, the result was displayed (THUMBNAIL VIEW), with CHECK BOX for each file.
    on the top left, there is an option for ADVANCED FEATURES....click it....
    the same files are listed like a list, check the TOP MOST check box and mention A DIFFERENT LOCATION (DIFFERENT DRIVE IS BEST)....
    hit RECOVER...

You should have the pictures recovered and saved in the destination drive/folder in a few minutes....
    then you can re run the process for songs or documents, etc......

ALL THIS GOT MY "DAMAGED SD CARD PROBLEM SOLVED WITHOUT LOSING THE DATA"

i also had read that this problem is a SAMSUNG problem....
    for caution, i now use EXTERNAL sd card for only songs....

files and pictures are saved on the phone memory....
    i have apps to sync these to cloud accounts...(all free)...
    files - GOOGLE DRIVE (5 GB) (needs a manual transfer to cloud)
    pictures - DROPBOX (2 GB)..(sync automatically) signup at

for DROPBOX, I periodically download the pics from the cloud to my computer, so i dont run out of cloud memory, and also from the phone....

yes, a bit HECTIC.....but at least i dont have to cry and think of rack my head on LIFE or DEATH situations over pictures of loved ones.... [BOX][/BOX]

i hope all this helps you.......
    take care......

DONT PANIC
    Last edited by Somdk; 06-16-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Having the same problem over and over again with 8 Gb Samsung Cl.4 SD and 32 Gb Adata Cl.4 SD. Sometimes after unmounted/damaged/etc. not working SD in Phone will work on computer or aren't being recognized at all. In Windows or other devices the card is than dead.

However so far with only the program Gparted in Gnu/Linux or the live-cd you can unmount the partition of the SD and repair the SD. The prblem here every time is: FILESYSTEM NEEDS TO BE ENLARGED TO FILL PARTITION COMPLETELY. After that repair the SD's work again every time. Only my Phone does the corrupting of filesystem SD-card, the cards never have problem in other devices.

Could there be the problem ?

Gparted report in Dutch:

Bestandssysteem (fat32) op /dev/sdb1 controleren en repareren 00:01:35 ( GESLAAGD )

/dev/sdb1 kalibreren 00:00:00 ( GESLAAGD )

pad: /dev/sdb1
    begin: 2048
    eind: 62332927
    grootte: 62330880 (29.72 GiB)

bestandssysteem op /dev/sdb1 controleren op fouten en deze (indien mogelijk) repareren 00:00:08 ( GESLAAGD )

dosfsck -a -w -v /dev/sdb1

dosfsck 3.0.12 (29 Oct 2011)
    dosfsck 3.0.12, 29 Oct 2011, FAT32, LFN
    Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
    Boot sector contents:
    System ID "mkdosfs"
    Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
    512 bytes per logical sector
    16384 bytes per cluster
    32 reserved sectors
    First FAT starts at byte 16384 (sector 32)
    2 FATs, 32 bit entries
    7798784 bytes per FAT (= 15232 sectors)
    Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
    Data area starts at byte 15613952 (sector 30496)
    1946887 data clusters (31897796608 bytes)
    32 sectors/track, 64 heads
    0 hidden sectors
    62330880 sectors total
    Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
    Checking free cluster summary.
    /dev/sdb1: 12615 files, 495884/1946887 clusters

bestandssysteem vergroten tot de partitie geheel is opgevuld 00:01:27 ( GESLAAGD )

met gebruik van libparted

Quote Originally Posted by J Bergsma View Post
    Having the same problem over and over again with 8 Gb Samsung Cl.4 SD and 32 Gb Adata Cl.4 SD. Sometimes after unmounted/damaged/etc. not working SD in Phone will work on computer or aren't being recognized at all. In Windows or other devices the card is than dead.

However so far with only the program Gparted in Gnu/Linux or the live-cd you can unmount the partition of the SD and repair the SD. The prblem here every time is: FILESYSTEM NEEDS TO BE ENLARGED TO FILL PARTITION COMPLETELY. After that repair the SD's work again every time. Only my Phone does the corrupting of filesystem SD-card, the cards never have problem in other devices.

Could there be the problem ?

Gparted report in Dutch:

Bestandssysteem (fat32) op /dev/sdb1 controleren en repareren 00:01:35 ( GESLAAGD )

/dev/sdb1 kalibreren 00:00:00 ( GESLAAGD )

pad: /dev/sdb1
    begin: 2048
    eind: 62332927
    grootte: 62330880 (29.72 GiB)

bestandssysteem op /dev/sdb1 controleren op fouten en deze (indien mogelijk) repareren 00:00:08 ( GESLAAGD )

dosfsck -a -w -v /dev/sdb1

dosfsck 3.0.12 (29 Oct 2011)
    dosfsck 3.0.12, 29 Oct 2011, FAT32, LFN
    Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
    Boot sector contents:
    System ID "mkdosfs"
    Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
    512 bytes per logical sector
    16384 bytes per cluster
    32 reserved sectors
    First FAT starts at byte 16384 (sector 32)
    2 FATs, 32 bit entries
    7798784 bytes per FAT (= 15232 sectors)
    Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
    Data area starts at byte 15613952 (sector 30496)
    1946887 data clusters (31897796608 bytes)
    32 sectors/track, 64 heads
    0 hidden sectors
    62330880 sectors total
    Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
    Checking free cluster summary.
    /dev/sdb1: 12615 files, 495884/1946887 clusters

bestandssysteem vergroten tot de partitie geheel is opgevuld 00:01:27 ( GESLAAGD )

met gebruik van libparted
    is the card visible and readable from another phone or sd card adaptr ?
    if yes, then, copy aside all data and discard this concerned sd card and get a new one....

if you know and are well knowledged about ms - dos , read post#13.....

following his way, at one point you need to choose YES or NO - and i had taken NO, and that had cleared all data,
    i then had to use a UNDELETE software to get all of them back, very very time taking, but i got all of it back....
    (this way i think my computer system got a access to the card......before ...it only showed EMPTY....BUT still using up3GB or so.....)
    upto you to decide if you want to try those steps...
    think and judge well...
    consult a few knowledgeable persons....

i know less of all these , and like to thus take precautions nowadays....
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast