$300.00 price tag?!?!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
i paid 749 for the TB off contract, what site are you going to ?!?!?!

For the life of me, I cannot find the @#$! website I found that on. I KNOW I saw it somewhere. I'm NOT mental?? lol

But for someone who just saw something without a link is pretty lame, so I respectfully withdraw that statement I made.
Sorry you paid so much for your TB.

@Davey verizon (not sure about other carriers) charges tax on the retail price of the phone. I'm just guessing that a subsidized $300 would be outrageously high off contract is didn't actually do any math. Too lazy for that right now but it would be way too high for me to drop on this thing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

For sure $300 on contract sux, but like I said, I am (sorta) prepared for full pop.

I got my fascinate from wirefly for free, and no sales tax on contract. The catch is on wirefly they have a 6 month period in which you cannot alter your contract with VZW, or pay a $300 penalty. Maybe you would consider wirefly, unless you're in VA where they are hq'ed. The out of state no tax thing.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
For someone like me that has paid $500+ for a Blackberry before it was in stores, $300 on contract isn't as much of a kick in the wallet. At work I'm known as the phone whore as I'm getting a new one every few months, but whatever I get now will have to hold me over until my contract is up in Sept. of 12.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why this phone should be $50 more than the thunderbolt because the specs are so similar.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why this phone should be $50 more than the thunderbolt because the specs are so similar.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Everyone says this and I don't understand why. Just because numbers look the same doesn't mean they are..for instance just the screen same size same resolutions. But samoled has more subpixels better contrast , brighter more efficient, and newest technology.

Ram size is also very untelling . They don't tell us what kind of ram so you can't use that as an indicator.

Not all processors are created equal..

And they are the same price , I bought the TB for 699 & and the charge is 700.

Just verizons way of directing traffic towards TB . Notice how everything with verizon and samsung just doesn't mesh well

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the higher price is partly a result of the screen; Samsung wants to launch the super amoled plus screens worldwide in the Galaxy SII and so they will be in short supply for awhile.

The other part of the reason is Verizon price-discriminating against the earliest adopters. Verizon seems to just now be figuring out all these little tricks for getting more profit... I wonder if they just hired some new talent or something.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the higher price is partly a result of the screen; Samsung wants to launch the super amoled plus screens worldwide in the Galaxy SII and so they will be in short supply for awhile.

The other part of the reason is Verizon price-discriminating against the earliest adopters. Verizon seems to just now be figuring out all these little tricks for getting more profit... I wonder if they just hired some new talent or something.

screen has nothing to do with it, this is all verizon's call. TB and Droid Charge are the exact same cost retail. if the screen was boosting the price it wouls be $800

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
screen has nothing to do with it, this is all verizon's call. TB and Droid Charge are the exact same cost retail. if the screen was boosting the price it wouls be $800

I had to think about this for awhile to make sense of it. It assumes that Verizon's cost is directly related to our full retail price, neither of which is directly related to our contract price. It's easy to see that full retail is not directly related to contract price and I don't know what Verizon's cost is so... I have to go with you and say it's Verizon's call.

Thunderbolt is showing $569 now for me online.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking...yes $300 is steep, but that is the exact same price as a 32gb iPhone.
Isn't the charge coming with a 32 sd card?

Think how much better a charge will be than an Iphone.
Much bigger, brighter screen, LTE, 8meg camera, not stuck with inferior OS etc etc

Doesn't that make you feel better?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking...yes $300 is steep, but that is the exact same price as a 32gb iPhone.
Isn't the charge coming with a 32 sd card?

Think how much better a charge will be than an Iphone.
Much bigger, brighter screen, LTE, 8meg camera, not stuck with inferior OS etc etc

Doesn't that make you feel better?

i Think its 16, upto 32

its a manipulation by verizon to direct sales where they want just like not getting froyo to fassy,,,look at the samsung infuse, 4.5inch screen 1.2ghz processor, yet its only 178 on contract on ATT,, something in this picture doesnt fit

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The charge does come with 32
Since the TB comes with 32, this phone should also have it for the price.

droid-charge-specs.png

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So that brings the obvious question relative to what we get for $300... Has anyone seen the full specs released?

I don't know that we've even seen things like
* Weight and size
* Which Bluetooth profiles are supported (I want to see HID profile included, to allow keyboard and mouse)
* Does Netflix run on it?

Unless I missed it, the specs above don't even list HDMI, which is supposed to be a distinction between the Charge and Thunderbolt.

Also, I've heard conflicting information about things like the amount of RAM. I'd be quite disappointed if it turns out to only offer 512meg as shown above, and didn't we hear more way back in January based on CES?

So, is it worth $300 in light of the Thunderbolt's price? I think some of the details, like confirmation of an included 32g SD card and the amount of RAM have a lot to do with the answer.

I'm eager to buy, but there are some (limited) alternatives. Even if the Thunderbolt isn't your cup of tea, there's always a cheaper 3G solution in the Droid X to carry some of us over to the next generation of phones. Heck, I am currently using a Palm Treo 700p, so just about anything will feel like a "superphone" from my perspective!

Last edited:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy the price justification for having a 32GB SD card included (no pun intended). Didn't buy it for the Thunderbolt and won't for the Charge, regardless of what it ends up having. Yes, if you went out and tried to buy a 32GB SD card yourself, you'd pay anywhere between $60 and $100, depending on the type and deal that you get. But, is Verizon paying retail price for it? Absolutely not. Verizon is probably paying around $10 or less for it. The same goes for every part of the phone. And justifying the price jump because of the card is accepting that Verizon can charge retail for individual parts. That to me, is bogus.

Look at it this way, if the customer tried to buy all of the individual parts to make the device, they'd be paying retail for each part and the phone would cost considerably more than buying the pre-built phone at retail. Why? Because the retailer is buying all of the parts wholesale (or less) and marking up the price of the entire phone for retail while considering all of the parts, labor, etc. They're not marking up each part for retail individually and then "summing" it all up to come up with a retail price. They're marking up the phone as a whole. So, charging retail for the phone while also charging retail for the card (as would be the case using the justification of what it would cost to buy separately), is like paying retail markup twice.

That said, do I think that the phone should cost more if there's a 32GB card versus a 2GB card? Yes. But, the difference shouldn't be what one would pay for it at retail. It should be what it would cost wholesale because the markup is already on the entire phone, not each part.

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung site has Droid Charge Page

I can't tell if this is "new news" or "old news", but there is now a page out there for the Droid Charge on the Samsung site. Not much new info, but does at least have a few things I haven't seen before...
  • Standby Time up to 280 hrs
  • Usage time up to 660 minutes
  • Size 5.11" x 2.66" x 0.46"
  • Weight 5.04 ounces

Features and Specifications - Droid Charge by Samsung | Samsung Mobile

It also shows some accessories, but nothing exciting like a multimedia dock.

The pictures are very nice, by the way, including close shots of the sides. And they do show an extended battery - the Galaxy S Extended Battery (2600mA). Item number is EB124465YZBSTD. That's good news because it probably means better aviailability than if it was specific to the Charge.

And in case you're wondering, here is the Thunderbolt size/weight per PhoneArena...
* Dimensions: 4.75 x 2.44 x 0.56 (121 x 62 x 14 mm)
* Weight: 6.23 oz (177 g)
So it looks like the Charge is a bit bulkier, but also a fair bit lighter.

One more additional bit of info... the included battery, according to a phonearena article is 1500mAh. That means that the extended battery at 2600mAh is almost 75% bigger capacity. Compare that to the Thunderbolt battery, which bumps that device up from 1400 mAh to 2750 mAh. My impression is that, aside from the bulk and weight, people are really happy about that extended battery. I'm quite pleased to see something similar for the Charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: DolfanCole

w00tw00twhat

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I love inductive charging. Excited that this phone will be getting one. Only reason why i dont want to give my pre+ up was because of this. But seeing how more n more phones seem be getting these its a good thing for me cuz i love that kinda tech for phones. Site doesnt give off any real specs of the phone, i wonder if there holding the official specs from us for some reason so we dont understand why its priced at $299 until released or well there just over pricing the phone. If the specs stay the same im still buying this phone regardless. But hey if they put more ram or something in it that would be cool. But i think the screen is worth the price.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy the price justification for having a 32GB SD card included (no pun intended). Didn't buy it for the Thunderbolt and won't for the Charge, regardless of what it ends up having. Yes, if you went out and tried to buy a 32GB SD card yourself, you'd pay anywhere between $60 and $100, depending on the type and deal that you get. But, is Verizon paying retail price for it? Absolutely not. Verizon is probably paying around $10 or less for it. The same goes for every part of the phone. And justifying the price jump because of the card is accepting that Verizon can charge retail for individual parts. That to me, is bogus.

Look at it this way, if the customer tried to buy all of the individual parts to make the device, they'd be paying retail for each part and the phone would cost considerably more than buying the pre-built phone at retail. Why? Because the retailer is buying all of the parts wholesale (or less) and marking up the price of the entire phone for retail while considering all of the parts, labor, etc. They're not marking up each part for retail individually and then "summing" it all up to come up with a retail price. They're marking up the phone as a whole. So, charging retail for the phone while also charging retail for the card (as would be the case using the justification of what it would cost to buy separately), is like paying retail markup twice.

That said, do I think that the phone should cost more if there's a 32GB card versus a 2GB card? Yes. But, the difference shouldn't be what one would pay for it at retail. It should be what it would cost wholesale because the markup is already on the entire phone, not each part.

We were talking about how favorable the charge would stack up to an iphone 32gb is all.
They are the same price...and I'd much rather get the charge at the same price.
I just thought knowing a yucky iphone was same price would make ppl feel better.

:)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
We were talking about how favorable the charge would stack up to an iphone 32gb is all.
They are the same price...and I'd much rather get the charge at the same price.
I just thought knowing a yucky iphone was same price would make ppl feel better.

:)

I wasn't trying to combat your post. It's just that when the price of the Thunderbolt came out, people thought it was quite high (or too high), but yet many people then justified the high price because it came with a 32GB card. I just think that's bogus.

That said, I would point out that the image you posted just shows what the Charge is capable of supporting, not what it comes with. It may yet come with a 32GB card, but you can't conclude that from the specs comparison image.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't trying to combat your post. It's just that when the price of the Thunderbolt came out, people thought it was quite high (or too high), but yet many people then justified the high price because it came with a 32GB card. I just think that's bogus.

That said, I would point out that the image you posted just shows what the Charge is capable of supporting, not what it comes with. It may yet come with a 32GB card, but you can't conclude that from the specs comparison image.

I pose this to you...

The fascinate above shows 16gb, which it did come with...yet supports 32
Nowhere in the removable memory line says the word support, or would say "up to 32gb".
The TB came with 32, so wouldn't it be fair to say the charge will come with 32?
You gotta admit, that is a pretty official looking document.

This is not to argue with you, just healthy discussion

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So that brings the obvious question relative to what we get for $300... Has anyone seen the full specs released?

I don't know that we've even seen things like
* Weight and size
* Which Bluetooth profiles are supported (I want to see HID profile included, to allow keyboard and mouse)
* Does Netflix run on it?

Unless I missed it, the specs above don't even list HDMI, which is supposed to be a distinction between the Charge and Thunderbolt.

Also, I've heard conflicting information about things like the amount of RAM. I'd be quite disappointed if it turns out to only offer 512meg as shown above, and didn't we hear more way back in January based on CES?

So, is it worth $300 in light of the Thunderbolt's price? I think some of the details, like confirmation of an included 32g SD card and the amount of RAM have a lot to do with the answer.

I'm eager to buy, but there are some (limited) alternatives. Even if the Thunderbolt isn't your cup of tea, there's always a cheaper 3G solution in the Droid X to carry some of us over to the next generation of phones. Heck, I am currently using a Palm Treo 700p, so just about anything will feel like a "superphone" from my perspective!

No netflix. Hummingbird doesn't support it.