Droid Charge ED2 system update

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
droid-charge-media-hub-fix.jpg

• A software change was made to the Media Hub application to prevent downloading content over the 3G network. This application will only work in the 4G network or when using Wi-Fi to ensure quality and speed.
  • A pop up message was added to the Media Hub application to inform customers of the size of the download when in a 4G coverage area before downloading.
http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-charge-gets-ed2-system-update-affects-media-hub-only

DMZoh

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much heard the phone was being released on Sat and assumed I'd have an OTA when waking up... Correct. I assumed if there was no OTA I'd goto the nearest store to replace mine due to the silent call issue.

So for me here's what it has done:
-Silent Calls: 100% resolved. I was easily able to replicate it previously and have attempted to all morning long.

-4G/3G is faster. 4G was fast no doubt, just a hair off from the TB. 4G Test: In a fringe area here 3G: 640 kbps/499 kbps (no numbers on prior but it felt like circa 1997 AOL dialup) 1X: 128kbps/up test failed (Awesome I caught it)

-Reception a tad up. I complained about it in another thread where my wife's kin would always be 2 bars up on my. Now it's 100% of the time only 1 bar.

-Data coverage. Seems my phone is more more willing to jump around 4G/3G/1X, a little different form before but whatever.

But I've already had to pull the batt once since and a dark screen out of nowhere..

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Once you root it you can use a root file manager to change a few filenames from ED1 to ED2 so it won't bother you, you can search around for that. But honestly Gingerbreak is very easy to use if you're still ED1, and I still get the OTA update messages, but I just ignore them. Until I decide for sure that I'm keeping the phone and that is has no issues, I like the fact that it keeps telling me ED2 is available. If I have a problem, I don't even need to be near a computer to take it to Verizon, I can just uninstall my root apps and do the update without having to be near a computer.

Hondo88

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got my phone and don't plan on rooting my phone for some time, 6 months atleast.
If I let the phone update to ED2, do I loose the option to root?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21