1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Navigation and Display Screen

I picked up my Charge today and tried out navigation on the way home. It was working fine, but the screen timed out and went blank. When a turn was coming up I would get an audio prompt for the turn. I checked various settings and could not find a way to change it. Is this just the way it is or is there a setting to keep the display on. I had a navigation app on my BB that would turn off the screen and when a turn was coming up it would turn on for a while then turn back off. One thing I have not tried yet was changing the power saver mode.

THX

Update: I found out a magnet is in the desk cradle and the car cradle. If I knew where the magnet was located I could make it think it was in car dock mode. See info below

They’re also selling a multimedia station which turns your phone into an alarm clock and weather display for a bedside sort of experience. Both of these accessories use magnets to determine when/if the phone is docked and your Motorola Droid will automatically enter either “Car Mode” or “Multimedia Mode” when it is connected
    Last edited by barrytest; 05-14-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    I picked up my Charge today and tried out navigation on the way home. It was working fine, but the screen timed out and went blank. When a turn was coming up I would get an audio prompt for the turn. I checked various settings and could not find a way to change it. Is this just the way it is or is there a setting to keep the display on. I had a navigation app on my BB that would turn off the screen and when a turn was coming up it would turn on for a while then turn back off. One thing I have not tried yet was changing the power saver mode.

THX

Update: I found out a magnet is in the desk cradle and the car cradle. If I knew where the magnet was located I could make it think it was in car dock mode. See info below

They’re also selling a multimedia station which turns your phone into an alarm clock and weather display for a bedside sort of experience. Both of these accessories use magnets to determine when/if the phone is docked and your Motorola Droid will automatically enter either “Car Mode” or “Multimedia Mode” when it is connected
    go to
    settings>display settings>screen timeout

i dont think google navi has that option maybe a third party navi has it
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:

Does the Charge use magnets for the car dock? The reason I bring this up is I thought the same thing when I had my Fascinate but that wasn't the case as it was done with electronics in the car dock. Just something to chew on...
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I looked at the screen timeout and there is no choice other than minutes. My bb was also quirky with google maps. I may get the real car dock and see if it makes a difgerence.
    Also thanks about the magnet info

UPDATE: I remember now how I got my BB to stay on. I had to select something like show my location, then the screen would stay lit. There is a mode in Google Maps where it show the driver's point of view. Next time I will try that mode and see if make a difference.

THX DroidXcon and Azturbomini
    Last edited by barrytest; 05-14-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Cool. Let us know!