Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Navigation and Display Screen

I picked up my Charge today and tried out navigation on the way home. It was working fine, but the screen timed out and went blank. When a turn was coming up I would get an audio prompt for the turn. I checked various settings and could not find a way to change it. Is this just the way it is or is there a setting to keep the display on. I had a navigation app on my BB that would turn off the screen and when a turn was coming up it would turn on for a while then turn back off. One thing I have not tried yet was changing the power saver mode.

THX

Update: I found out a magnet is in the desk cradle and the car cradle. If I knew where the magnet was located I could make it think it was in car dock mode. See info below

They’re also selling a multimedia station which turns your phone into an alarm clock and weather display for a bedside sort of experience. Both of these accessories use magnets to determine when/if the phone is docked and your Motorola Droid will automatically enter either “Car Mode” or “Multimedia Mode” when it is connected

Global Posts
    11,645 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    I picked up my Charge today and tried out navigation on the way home. It was working fine, but the screen timed out and went blank. When a turn was coming up I would get an audio prompt for the turn. I checked various settings and could not find a way to change it. Is this just the way it is or is there a setting to keep the display on. I had a navigation app on my BB that would turn off the screen and when a turn was coming up it would turn on for a while then turn back off. One thing I have not tried yet was changing the power saver mode.

THX

Update: I found out a magnet is in the desk cradle and the car cradle. If I knew where the magnet was located I could make it think it was in car dock mode. See info below

They’re also selling a multimedia station which turns your phone into an alarm clock and weather display for a bedside sort of experience. Both of these accessories use magnets to determine when/if the phone is docked and your Motorola Droid will automatically enter either “Car Mode” or “Multimedia Mode” when it is connected
    go to
    settings>display settings>screen timeout

i dont think google navi has that option maybe a third party navi has it
    barrycinti likes this.

Does the Charge use magnets for the car dock? The reason I bring this up is I thought the same thing when I had my Fascinate but that wasn't the case as it was done with electronics in the car dock. Just something to chew on...
    barrycinti likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I looked at the screen timeout and there is no choice other than minutes. My bb was also quirky with google maps. I may get the real car dock and see if it makes a difgerence.
    Also thanks about the magnet info

UPDATE: I remember now how I got my BB to stay on. I had to select something like show my location, then the screen would stay lit. There is a mode in Google Maps where it show the driver's point of view. Next time I will try that mode and see if make a difference.

THX DroidXcon and Azturbomini

Cool. Let us know!