WiFi to 4G issues

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having major issues when going from WiFi to 4G LTE. When I leave a WiFi area, or simply turn it off I see the 4G LTE symbol appear and have good signal strength (3-4 bars), but when I try and open the market place and/or surf, nothing happens.

I have Use Packet Data and Data Roaming enabled, and the only way for me to get the phone back into a good 4G mode is to change from LTE automatic to CDMA mode, then back to LTE automatic.

Anyone else experiencing this going from WiFi to 4G and back?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having major issues when going from WiFi to 4G LTE. When I leave a WiFi area, or simply turn it off I see the 4G LTE symbol appear and have good signal strength (3-4 bars), but when I try and open the market place and/or surf, nothing happens.

I have Use Packet Data and Data Roaming enabled, and the only way for me to get the phone back into a good 4G mode is to change from LTE automatic to CDMA mode, then back to LTE automatic.

Anyone else experiencing this going from WiFi to 4G and back?

I have not been in 4g area long enough to try this out but wifi to 3g is solid, i have yet to have a moment without data which i love

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
this happened with my thunderbolt when I first got it. I would turn off wi-fi and the 4G would appear but the up and down arrows (signifying data transfer) would not light up. Fortunately for me after 2-3 days it seemed to resolve the issue on its own and I haven't had this problem since.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
4G hand off is a issue in some areas with spotty LTE coverage. This phone is a 1000 X better than the Thunderbolt about the exchange though... quick tip (pain but it works) add a icon to toggle airplane mode. when you loose a connection toggle airplane off then back on. It will pick up the towers almost instantly ;)

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Good tip, thanks, I do have a TB which never did that and the 4G signal is strong here in SoCal.

Ill try airplane mode though and I agree, this phone is much better then the TB.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah SoCal has solid 4G like Mid Tenn. The airplane trick is still nice when going in / out a place that has crap signal due to the bldg. design.

webedelic

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Similar issues, without wifi switch in Vegas

My wife and I both got a Charge and we are in Las vegas (Summerlin) and we only get 3g in our sub division. Anywhere else it reads 4g, but there is no network. I cannot connect to the internet on either phone when it claims to be in 4g range. I called verizon and they set up a trouble ticket. I do not believe both phones doing this it is the phone, but they are claiming no one else is complaining about no network when in 4g in vegas. We both got the same defect? I doubt it. I love the phone, but I don't think asking for the internet is asking for too much.

killjoylm1

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have been having this problem pretty regularly and it sucks, but I'm hoping that a software update will solve the problem. Did anyone hold on to the thunderbolt till after the last update? I know I had on opening day, but returned it because of the 4 hour battery. It dropped signal really often. My concern is that this is a hardware issue and not a software issue!

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have been having this issue... and right now it doesn't seem to be related only to 4G... I've had troubles getting the phone to 3G when coming off of wifi as well.

I did two restarts of the phone this morning due to this issue. I'm considering bringing it in to swap with a different phone to see if it has the same issue.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
4G hand off is a issue in some areas with spotty LTE coverage. This phone is a 1000 X better than the Thunderbolt about the exchange though... quick tip (pain but it works) add a icon to toggle airplane mode. when you loose a connection toggle airplane off then back on. It will pick up the towers almost instantly ;)

I'm at the edge of a 4g area and experiencing the same issues. Toggling from airplane mode and back works great. Takes two seconds, especially with a widget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007