Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Default Gorilla Glass

Any word if this thing has gorilla glass?

yeah it is according to the original CES announcement in January. also seeing how pretty much every Samsung phone in the past year has had it it's not a huge surprise.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jaylrichardson View Post
    yeah it is according to the original CES announcement in January. also seeing how pretty much every Samsung phone in the past year has had it it's not a huge surprise.
    Does this mean a screen protector is not needed?
    Sorry if this is noob question

not needed vs unnecessary... I dont use them, but i dont want to say there worthless.. i hate the texture change they produce.. the screen feels "sticky" to me and the "protector" gets dingy after a while i dont htink there worth it but i know some people will disagree

not needed vs unnecessary... I dont use them, but i dont want to say there worthless.. i hate the texture change they produce.. the screen feels "sticky" to me and the "protector" gets dingy after a while i dont htink there worth it but i know some people will disagree
    The thing I noticed is the protector greatly reduces the look of the display. Its hard to describe. When the display is tilted distortion appears. Whats the use of having a great display ruined by a protector. Its like putting $10 tires on a Porsche

ROM
    Stock

Invisible shield by zag neither distorts texture or clarity significantly.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.

I would agree on a normal dry screen but i think it does affect texture IMO when moisture is on your finger or screen. Gorilla Glass is great for a reason ... utilize it that is why it is on there...

Let me get this straight, a screen protector is not useful for this type of glass? I know nothing of this gorilla glass you speak of...

ROM
    Stocked out! Whoo!!!

I remember seeing that gorilla glass is basically melted down gorillas. It's like making katanas. You do the right amount of heat treatment and you get gorilla glass.
    Thanked by:

ok gorilla glass is a company that makes a acrylic type "glass" it is super scratch resistant and doesn't break easily.... If you YouTube the stuff form CES they put it through some CRAZY tests. I do not believe it is "necessary" to use a screen protector at all.. in fact i hate them! but as with many accessories people will debate their usefulness. If you have never used a Gorilla glass device before i recommend not getting a protector right off. Use the device for a week or so then try one if you want. See what works best for you, but i will tell you form my experience with gorilla glass devices, (past 3 devices) I find a screen protector to be a pain to use.

Please let us know what your final decision is as multiple opinions are always better than 1

Gorilla glass is a company? I thought it was made by Corning.

This message was sent via Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    Gorilla glass is a company? I thought it was made by Corning.

This message was sent via Tapatalk

Your right. It is made by Corning.

My fault i mislead.. I meant product not company...

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

I purchased a Zagg full screen protector before even having the phone. Then I see where this phone is supposed to have GG. I love the way my finger slides across the glass screen. The Zagg Invisible Screen protector is a good one and if put on correctly there is no screen distortion, but there are times that it seems like your finger doesn't slide as smoothly across the screen. Might be returning the protector to Best Buy and goign without!

Bryan

I handle over a dozen smart phones per day so I'll lay out what I consider a well balanced diet of info.

I've seen gorilla glass scratched LIKE CRAZY to the point the phone's touch screen starts malfunctioning. It had never been out of the ladies purse beyond use and phone calls. She wore one diamond ring, and had a set of very nice diamond earrings.

Gorilla glass is not invincible.

You can run car keys over it all day with no issue, but with diamond jewelery, hand tools (like screw drivers, chisels, pocket knives, etc. anything with hardened steel) rock chips, sand, other stuff like that, will scratch the hell out of it.

Weigh your usage and exposure to these items when considering a screen protector.
    Anything you can do iCandobetter

If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π

True any material harder than that of the "glass" can indeed scratch it. I just prefer to take car of my devices as much as possible and keep away from the alt. textures.. If you work on a construction site you may want to use a protector but from my home office I'll just play nice with my things

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    I handle over a dozen smart phones per day so I'll lay out what I consider a well balanced diet of info.

I've seen gorilla glass scratched LIKE CRAZY to the point the phone's touch screen starts malfunctioning. It had never been out of the ladies purse beyond use and phone calls. She wore one diamond ring, and had a set of very nice diamond earrings.

Gorilla glass is not invincible.

You can run car keys over it all day with no issue, but with diamond jewelery, hand tools (like screw drivers, chisels, pocket knives, etc. anything with hardened steel) rock chips, sand, other stuff like that, will scratch the hell out of it.

Weigh your usage and exposure to these items when considering a screen protector.
    Would a screen protector really do anything for you if you were rubbing diamonds and hand tools against your phone?

I'll try to keep my bling away from the phone...
    Thanked by:

Thank goodness, I don't have any bling, bling, or would keep my phone next to any hand tools lying around.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Gorilla Glass:

Actually a flexible AluminoSilicate Glass, extremely durable ...... not a plastic/acrylic.

True any material harder than that of the "glass" can indeed scratch it. I just prefer to take car of my devices as much as possible and keep away from the alt. textures.. If you work on a construction site you may want to use a protector but from my home office I'll just play nice with my things
    For me, I keep mine in a pocket that does not contain sharp objects like car keys etc. One screen protector I do not recommend is the anti-glare protectors from VZW. They make the screen look awful.

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    For me, I keep mine in a pocket that does not contain sharp objects like car keys etc. One screen protector I do not recommend is the anti-glare protectors from VZW. They make the screen look awful.
    Agreed. I got a pack of them without paying attention to what they were. Definitely getting a different one.

ROM
    None

HTC Thunderbolt is, Samsung Charge is not listed but I would guess it is. Click below.

Also worth noting: Don't rely on Gorilla Glass to protect your screen if you put your phone in your pocket with other devices that could put pressure on the screen and crack it... See http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...-dropping.html

I was in the store and ran my key accross the screen on the demo unit. It did not scratch. However my g/f likes going to the beach, so needless to say I will be getting a screen protector because sand will scratch your phone. I will go to the mall and have invisisheild installed.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Well crap on a stick!!! After hearing that this thing had guerilla glass I was convinced that I did not need a screen protector. I love the silky smooth feeling of the screen when gliding your finger across. But if yall are saying it probably needs one, well then I guess I gotta get one. I am a facilities manager of 8 commercial buildings, although I am the manager and do very little labor intensive work, there are still times that I need to break out my tools and show my maintenance guys how things need to be done. I woudl hate to hit this thing with a carbide drill tip or a screw driver.

So I guess I gotta wait for ghost armor to realease a protector for the charge and get it. IMO when ghost armor is applied correctly it the cleanest looking of the bunch, I have used Zagg on several devices and the other major brands as well, and I always go back to ghost armor.. Thanks for the great info guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast