HDMI output

tradercj

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to do anything to make video output from the HDMI?

I am trying to troubleshoot why it is not working. I am doing a mini HDMI cable to HDMI, then my TV only has DVI, so I have a HDMI to DVI adapter. I get no video when I turn the TV to the DVI port.

So it is something I have to do to the TV, to the Charge or does this setup just not work? Thanks

tradercj

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping it was the adapter, when I purchased the first one at Tiger Direct they had 2 different manufacturers, but one had more pins than the other. I went back and purchased the other one, still no luck.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Although i dont have a Droid Charge, i did have an HTC EVO. I know with the HDMI out on that only a few programs actually output any video to it.
Either i had to be watching a movie, or have slideshow enabled.
Just plugging it in did ntohing. The software would not dispaly normal screen images from places like the home screen or games and most apps.
But once i started a movie, it would then launch the HDMI software and change the out put from the EVO screen to the HDMI for my TV.

Maybe the Charge is like that. You just need to make sure the app is pushing video to the port.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
So i tried the mini HDMI last night as promised. worked great. Something else to think about is what kind of DVI adapter you are using... there are DVI-D DVI-A and DVO-I... they have different properties and can be identified by the pin structure on the ends of the cable. I am not sure on this device but it is possible your adapter is "good" but will not work on this type of device or for this purpose... what Kind are you using??

tradercj

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying the TV with You Tube, I didn't think about trying a movie.
The TV is a 55" mitsubishi medallion hd 1080, I purchased in 2004.

das7771

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I used my old Droid X HDMI cable that I had laying around. You can get one from the vzw store not sure how much they cost as I bought mine a year ago. It will display automatically with nothing to be done on your end. I have it hooked up to my insignia receiver which is what I have my projector hooked up to and it works perfectly and automiatically.

das7771

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Although i dont have a Droid Charge, i did have an HTC EVO. I know with the HDMI out on that only a few programs actually output any video to it.
Either i had to be watching a movie, or have slideshow enabled.
Just plugging it in did ntohing. The software would not dispaly normal screen images from places like the home screen or games and most apps.
But once i started a movie, it would then launch the HDMI software and change the out put from the EVO screen to the HDMI for my TV.

Maybe the Charge is like that. You just need to make sure the app is pushing video to the port.

Nope, it displays every thing. The os, video games, browser, what ever. It mirrors what you see on your device which is what I like about it. My droid x was like your Evo, it was very limited, but the Charge has displayed every thing I have thrown at it, with the exception of a movie from the hub app, but I moved the file and the licensing was lost so I think that was my fault, gonna try and fix that tonight to make sure it works as well.

mike pertz

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Nope, it displays every thing. The os, video games, browser, what ever. It mirrors what you see on your device which is what I like about it. My droid x was like your Evo, it was very limited, but the Charge has displayed every thing I have thrown at it, with the exception of a movie from the hub app, but I moved the file and the licensing was lost so I think that was my fault, gonna try and fix that tonight to make sure it works as well.

Let me know if it works, and how/where you moved the file to/from.

Thanks

das7771

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if it works, and how/where you moved the file to/from.

Thanks

no it does not...apparently anything downloaded from media hub is copyright protected and will not display via hdmi out...that is the dumbest thing i have seen...how is some one going to spend up to 18 bucks on a movie and be forced to watch it only on the phones display. thankfully i used my credit and not my hard earned money. the movie file is a. pyv extension..i wonder if their is a way to convert it. i have plenty of movies on my comp that i transferred to my charge and can now easily watch them in any room...media hub is a fail in my opinion and i will no longer be using it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
SO i tried this last night, let me tell you its the most useless feature ever, when will i use this.

With that being said ITS AWESOME!!!! LOL i will never play angry birds on my tv from my phone as i have a PS3 and better things to do, but knowing i can is freaking great lol

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The output would be much more useful if you could download and watch HD movies from the media hub, or via some other method. I always wondered why there was a need for HDMI out anyway, how many people actually use it on a regular basis?

If I needed a TV, I'd likely have burned whatever it was to a DVD or CD, and if I was doing a presentation or something, it'd be on a USB drive or somewhere I could play it from a computer.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
where i see my self using this is;
rainy days when i am up north
I have a small 1080p projector and a great small set of computer speakers.
Now if i could just get the sound to come out of the 3.5mm AUX jack instead of the HDMI cable, I would have a portable movie theater in a duffel bag.
The projector i have will not output audio while using HDMI in, So as of right now i can get no sound.

have tried everything to make this happen, but so far no luck.

any ideas?

Last edited:

Mode1guy

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
HDMI Out to Monitor

Thanks for your info on this. I have the HP 24" computer monitor that pivots up from landscape to portrait view, and I thought it would be a 24" Droid Charge screen! All because of this Pachinko Frenzy app. :) No, really it's for movies.

Mode1guy

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this discussion. I just bought a micro HDMI to HDMI cable, and connected it to my HP 24" HD Monitor. This monitor has a base that allows me to pivot the entire monitor vertical, or leave it horizontal. So if I can get it to work properly, I would have a 24" tall Droid Charge.
I could leave my monitor horizontal, so I could watch movies and videos.

I connect my Droid Charge to my monitor's HDMI input, changed to the HDMI input on my monitor, and there was my Droid Charge on my monitor. BUT, it is sideways when my Monitor is vertical.
When my monitor is horizontal, my Droid Charge fills the center of the screen and the phone's screen is vertical.

I am trying to figure out how to rotate the HDMI input, using my Nvidia Control Panel, and my monitors menu. I can easily rotate the input of my computer to monitor using the Nvidia Control Panel.

I am working on this, trying different settings on my monitor.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
For me I'm expecting once we have the Netflix app we will to be able to HDMI to a hotel tv and watch a movie on a big screen.

A 6 ft HDMI to micro HDMI is only around 3 to 5 dollars on Amazon. I just bought this one with free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P5...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1017369
170 reviews with 4 star average!

I wanted to stream Slingbox too but the sling media program I paid $30 for I don't think runs on Android. And even if I get the Android Sling Media mobile app for another $30 I'd have to upgrade my original Slingbox Classic model (which works fine) to a newer version for like $150+. I'm not about to do that!

I canceled most of my Time Warner pay stations (I only have Showtime now) because Netflix is only $8a month for unlimited use.

I'm told there are Netflix apps available on the web that will run on the Charge without rooting it.
I have not checked them out yet because I figure the Netflix app for Droids can't be that far off!

So I could see the HDMI cable coming in real handy for Netflix!

Ticks me off that when I picked out this Charge at the VZ store last week that the LG Revolution which the rep was trying to steer me into was being displayed right next to the Charge and it already had the Netflix app pre-installed on it :mad:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair