Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How's your GPS?

I'm reading a mixed bag on the GPS front... curious if there are simply a few bad phones out there, or if this is a Fascinate all over again?

ROM
    EE4/Gummy 1.75/PBJ

My GPS takes 1-3 seconds to lock on and is perfect. I purchased my Charge on the Saturday release and running ED2. I'm on day two of driving around and testing it with no issues. In case it matters, I'm located in Dallas.

It seems with each update that Samsung pushes out, GPS gets slightly better. I don't know if they're making the service more reliable, or what they're doing. I'm sure that once we can flash ROMs and get root again on ED2, we may be able to improve it slightly with some of the mods that were used on the Fascinate.
    DROID Charge in hand, now to get to work...

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

My gps is slightly better than my thunderbolt. Nothing to write home about.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

My GPS is off, how did you guys fix yours?

ROM
    EE4/Gummy 1.8.1/PBJT

I've only started dabbling with the GPS last few days and I am noticing issues. Takes a long time to search for GPS. Like 30 secs to a few minutes long. Was able to use the d1 from the same places with little to no issue. Now I'm always running wifi indoor and soon as I step outside I hit up the nav right as its connecting to data. Tomorrow morning I will switch off my wifi, establish my data connection and then try nav.

I was wondering the same thing. My GPS was working GREAT and now it is taking several minutes to connect even if it does. Im not sure what the problem is, but I would like to find a resolve to the issue. I don't use the feature very often, but I have needed to use it the last couple of days and gave up after about 5-7 min.

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by ellje View Post
    I'm reading a mixed bag on the GPS front... curious if there are simply a few bad phones out there, or if this is a Fascinate all over again?
    Mine is spotty at best. Takes a good long while to lock in then usually is about 25 to 50 feet off target.
    Last edited by AndroidXTC; 06-04-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Global Posts
    726 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bellison41 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. My GPS was working GREAT and now it is taking several minutes to connect even if it does. Im not sure what the problem is, but I would like to find a resolve to the issue. I don't use the feature very often, but I have needed to use it the last couple of days and gave up after about 5-7 min.
    Mine seems to have issues when I'm using 4g. I usually have to turn 4g off and clear gps cached data using the program GPS Status. After doing that it usually locks on within seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

The few times I have used mine it has worked great. I keep the GPS radio turned off normally, and just use the network for location-based services, but I can turn it on and it syncs within 10 seconds or so, even inside, and navigation works perfectly after that. Knock on wood though, I really don't wanna jinx it!

My gps is inaccurate it used to work great. Powered off, will try again.

UPDATE: After the power cycle NAV now works. I do not know why it was inaccurate before. When I first got the Charge it worked great. Later on I noticed it would be off by about 1000 ft. The only problem it has now is when you arrive at the destination it says problem loading image, I can live with that. I am going to try reinstalling Google maps to see it it makes a difference. I guess in the future I will cycle power before using NAV.

PS: The GPS appears to lock on quickly so I do not think the GPS is the problem.
    Last edited by barrytest; 06-04-2011 at 06:47 PM.

I have tried about everything I know to do (other than WiFi at work can't connect) i waited over 8 min and still no connection. The "Searching for GPS" is getting old.

ROM
    Stock

Yeah. It's really hit or miss. sometimes it locks fast. There was a way to reset the gps on the evo. ##gpsclrx#. I wonder if there is a way to do the same on our phones.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

The first few tries it takes a min or two to lock on but after a week of use it locks on right away.

ROM
    Stock

Mine worked beautifully on a long rip today on long island. First using it on this phone

Quote Originally Posted by mylasthope View Post
    Yeah. It's really hit or miss. sometimes it locks fast. There was a way to reset the gps on the evo. ##gpsclrx#. I wonder if there is a way to do the same on our phones.

Your da man!! Tried the code in your message and it works!! GPS now locks on indoors in about 15-30 seconds.

THX

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

So far it has worked well for me.so far. It almost sounds like for you guys having problems they are similar to what I was having with Thunderbolt. I'm wondering if some of the problems are associated with 4g more so than the phones themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mylasthope View Post

Are those #s you'd dial from the phone keypad and then hit send...or is that a really dumb question???

Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    Are those #s you'd dial from the phone keypad and then hit send...or is that a really dumb question???
    Yes, enter the #s from the phone keypad. Enter 000000 (six zeroes) for the unlock code. It will respond with a prompt that something like reset GPS? Click OK

The only dumb question is the one not asked

OK, maybe it's just me, but when I dial ##4772579# and hit 'send', I get 'your call can't be completed as dialed'. If I don't hit 'send', the screen does nothing. Am I missing something?

im having trouble with my GPS. it constantly is like 4or5 streets away from my location... and also when i use an app such as Grindr,or any other location app, it doesnt even show me in the same state that i actually am in.. if i go to maps it shows ,me in at least the correct state... but not in app. anyone know what could help??...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    OK, maybe it's just me, but when I dial ##4772579# and hit 'send', I get 'your call can't be completed as dialed'. If I don't hit 'send', the screen does nothing. Am I missing something?
    You are entering the correct string. Try not pressing send. When I enter the string it pops up with enter SPC. I then enter 000000 (six zeroes).

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1288 View Post
    im having trouble with my GPS. it constantly is like 4or5 streets away from my location... and also when i use an app such as Grindr,or any other location app, it doesnt even show me in the same state that i actually am in.. if i go to maps it shows ,me in at least the correct state... but not in app. anyone know what could help??...
    I was having the same problem when trying to find a Starbucks. It took me to a subdivision

I power cycled and entered the GPS reset code and now it works fine. Not sure which one fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    You are entering the correct string. Try not pressing send. When I enter the string it pops up with enter SPC. I then enter 000000 (six zeroes).
    Thanks Barry, but it looks like that doesn't work on the Charge. Without hitting 'send', the phone keyboard just sits there with the entered #s, I get no prompt or any verbiage at all.

ROM
    HumbleComb 1.5/PPJ OC

Yep, same here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast