How About the Audio Performance?

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Tell us about the audio characteristics of the Charge folks.

The first thing I check out on a device is the audio.
  • If I have to have the ear piece volume maxed as a default setting (for quiet or average ambient background noise), I don't want it.
  • If I have to strain to hear it I don't want it.
  • If the hands free speaker is too weak to hear from the console or passenger seat in a moving car, I don't want it.
  • If I cannot hear the ringtone in a front pants pocket or feel the vibration, I don't want it.

I have tried phones that had wimpy playback volumes when maxed out and am curious about the ringtone, vibration and ear piece volume levels of the Charge.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
My $0.02:

-Earpiece volume is on par with my previous android devices and I can hear very easily in a hectic work environment (trading floor) with no issues and not on full blast.
-The hands free speaker is one of the louder ones I've had and I can set it down and move around the kitchen making lunch and hear everything easily (and the party on the other end can also hear me fine) while only half way turned up.
-I've had no issue hearing the ringer at all. Some of the tones on full blast will jolt you out of sleep like a drill sergeant at boot camp.
-Just testing it out on random youtube videos, the volume is fairly clear and loud. Much better than I expected.

I have not used the vibrate option very much, but from what I can tell it's fine. I'd suggest just going and playing with it at the store for five minutes to get a better feel for it. This is one of those things that varies depending on the person. For me, it's working just fine.

*EDIT* Just saw you were on the OG Droid. I have owned that handset (and my wife still uses it). I do believe that the Charge is a major step-up from it in all the things you questioned.

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The Charge uses the same audio processor as the SGS series, WM8994 codec, and can benefit from Voodoo Sound. Everything I've heard from people says that SGS+Voodoo Sound is one of the best sounding audio devices out there.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I strayed and tried and returned a Dinc2 and it was horrid audio wise in every way, I don't know what I was thinking. I want a bigger and faster phone now.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
just remember the aux in is a "snap" in connection (pretty secure)

also the audio playback when using the cam on the front is pretty good no matter how i hold the phone...some devices you can tell when your hand is near the mic but it seems to be solid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC