Must-Have Apps for the Charge?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up my Droid Charge today... first smartphone ever, so be easy on me!

I'm trying to figure out which Apps you guys find most useful for this device. I already installed Launcher Pro per some recommendations on here... interested in info on more useful Apps. Sounds as though some of you like the NoLED, but I'm going to keep that on the back-burner until I get to try some battery testing for the next few days.

Is there a way to check the remaining battery percentage on the phone? I've had this phone on for 5hrs, and it's looking close to the end, but I have no idea how to check actual percentage.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised... that last 7% lasted an hour of full use last night... hardly turned the display off. I have no idea what the battery was at when I purchased it, looked like 60-70%, which made 6+ hrs after I got it. Hope this battery will get me through a day on normal use!

Downloaded the widgetsoid and lte switch... sweet aps :)
Is the Tapatalk worth the money? I didn't see a free version.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised... that last 7% lasted an hour of full use last night... hardly turned the display off. I have no idea what the battery was at when I purchased it, looked like 60-70%, which made 6+ hrs after I got it. Hope this battery will get me through a day on normal use!

Downloaded the widgetsoid and lte switch... sweet aps :)
Is the Tapatalk worth the money? I didn't see a free version.

Depends how much you use forums. Its like 2 bucks so I'm sure you could get a cheaper meal next time you go out to compensate.

Its the only paid app I have. Thinking about donating to the widgetsoid developer.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't use battery widget, I prefer BatteryIndicator (no space) because it puts a little bubble in the top left of your notification bar so you can free up screen space. It also puts battery temp/voltage in the drop down of the notification bar. Very small, very convenient.

Also, I like Zedge quite a bit. It's an app that gives you access to tens of thousands of wallpapers/ringtones/notification sounds.

You're getting that much battery life OTB? Are you turning your data transfer off when not in use? I'm still trying to figure out why my battery isn't phenomenal like others.

hooskins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed my battery getting a lot better since the 14. The more you let the battery drain down to 20 percent ish and charge it back up the more charge it will hold.

Also if your phone is switching from 3g to 4g to 1x and wifi alot, that drains it too.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
New to Android, new to Charge. Lets begin

I know most of you guys will say just read all the other threads, but meh.

So lets start, what are the must have apps?

I got pandora, i got the amazon app store, now what else.

Lets go bois.

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, what about anything else i need to know that is beneficial to me that i should know about CHarge or Android.

Ill get into the rooting community once i familiarize myself with android some more.
The only main tip I can give is to turn off your Mobile Data (just slide down the notification bar) when you arent using it. You can still receive texts and calls, so unless you are browsing etc. you don't need it. It will really help your battery life. It comes back on right when you click it so its not a big deal at all.

As far as an app, Amazon App Store. Must have, one free app everyday that normally costs money :-$

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I know most of you guys will say just read all the other threads, but meh.

So lets start, what are the must have apps?

I got pandora, i got the amazon app store, now what else.

Lets go bois.

If you listen to podcasts, download Stitcher. One of my favorites. I also use Tweetdeck, Sirius XM, HBO Go for entertainment/social networking. For productivity, I use Dropbox, Google Voice, QuickOffice (paid) and Business Calendar (paid, but MUCH better than the Samsung Calendar). I have a lot of Android apps (like Android Central), but I mainly use Google Reader. I also use the Custom Car app as my car dock, Where's My Droid Power, SeekDroid, and Attachments (for Gmail), which is a must have if you plan to use Gmail exclusively. Finally, don't forget the Brostache!

Have fun!!!!

Last edited:

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Since this is a common theme, maybe we could have a sticky thread with a compiled list of vetted purpose apps. People can post reviews of apps and the list could get updated. It could look something like this (notional list) and mention whether apps are free or pay

note - * indicates pay apps
Podcasts - Stitcher
Twitter - Tweetdeck, Seesmic
Music - Sirius XM, Pandora
Forums - Tapatalk
Video - HBO Go, Youtube
Email - Stock, K9
Games - Angry Birds, Words with Friends
Calendar - Business Calendar*

Just an idea and would be a great place for people looking for apps. If people post reviews of an app in the thread or an article thread exists, the name could link to that post/article too. I just realized there's a member favorites forum in the android apps section (and I plan on reading it) but how often do people actually look there? Especially new to Android folks? Hell, links could also be provided.

Reactions: fundragon

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
Tweetdeck is great becuz it ties your twitter, facebook and foursquare updates together in one widget, dont forget handcent for your messaging, NoLed to make up for the fact that Samsung hates notification lights for some reason. Vignette is a phenomenal camera app with all the customization that Samsung's stock app doesnt have, make your own clock widget is great for building your own homescreen clocks,and Pulse is hands down the best news reader I have encountered on the market!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress