Cant leave email on server ?? charge returned

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought and returned Charge today after finding that I could not leave email on the server if read in the Charge.This has to be the dumbest thing going.. Verizon was unable to find any setting that would allow it nor could I.. 2.. Unable to set up an account with different incoming and outgoing servers and different passwords.. Not usual but you should be able to do it. 3 could not set timer to poll the email servers..just choice of :push" or never.. 4 after set up there is no way to edit the server settings..
Thus the phone went back

spinball

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The emails will stay on your server unless you delete them from the phone. If you leave them or mark them as "read", they will remain on the server.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Really?? How much time did you put into trying to make it work?

First off, you could have downloaded a 3rd party app like Touchdown and have been able to do everything you just mentioned.

Secondly, I can't imagine why every other Android phone would have the capability to control the push settings, and the Charge wouldn't...

I set up all the phones at my law firm, so I've seen every flavor of Android...I know you can control the push/frequency settings..

Leaving the email as unread...like I said, you might need to use a 3rd party app if you want that capability.

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I hope Rorkin is wrong cuz I'm getting a charge today and must be able to keep e-mail on the server so I can review it later for work.

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Really?? How much time did you put into trying to make it work?

First off, you could have downloaded a 3rd party app like Touchdown and have been able to do everything you just mentioned.

Secondly, I can't imagine why every other Android phone would have the capability to control the push settings, and the Charge wouldn't...

I set up all the phones at my law firm, so I've seen every flavor of Android...I know you can control the push/frequency settings..

Leaving the email as unread...like I said, you might need to use a 3rd party app if you want that capability.

Well I spent hours on it and then took to the verizon store who could not accomplish the leave on server.
Go look at the phone b4 you tell me I am wrong about the push.. Only 2 settings .. Push or nothing

3rd party app.. sheesh.. What I need is a simple switch that is available on any PC based email account setup.
what I am asking for is available native in other phones (please no bashing)
bberry and iphone

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope Rorkin is wrong cuz I'm getting a charge today and must be able to keep e-mail on the server so I can review it later for work.

My problem exactly.. Check it out.. But neither or the verizon "expert" :) could figure out how.

Leaving message undeleted as suggested on phone is a pretty poor way to save on server till downloaded at work.. Don't think I am asking too much for a "Mature e-mail client"

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I just youtubed Touchdown and it appears to be the answer. looks like it can do everything necessary to "act" like a Blackberry. Check it out

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like i'm bashing..I'm just so surprised that you returned the phone because of this issue...

I'm also surprised the stock email program doesn't let you change the push frequency...
It's hard to guess at where the settings are, its been different on all the phones. If you are already returned it, I guess its a moot point now. But for (I think) $20, the program Touchdown is excellent and will do just about anything email related that you could ask for..

Wait..let me understand this..you are saying you read the email on the phone, and it disappears from the server? or you want it to stay as "unread" on the server...

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like i'm bashing..I'm just so surprised that you returned the phone because of this issue...

I'm also surprised the stock email program doesn't let you change the push frequency...
It's hard to guess at where the settings are, its been different on all the phones. If you are already returned it, I guess its a moot point now. But for (I think) $20, the program Touchdown is excellent and will do just about anything email related that you could ask for..

Wait..let me understand this..you are saying you read the email on the phone, and it disappears from the server? or you want it to stay as "unread" on the server...

Whatever status allows me to read it and delete it on my phone and then download at home/work later.

I get a lot of emails on road and then need to follow up at home/office.

edit: Looked at the Touchdown video and was not sure if it required Msft exchange.. these are simple Pop3 accounts

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I just youtubed Touchdown and it appears to be the answer. looks like it can do everything necessary to "act" like a Blackberry. Check it out

I've been using touchdown for exchange about ten months now . I freaking love it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Whatever status allows me to read it and delete it on my phone and then download at home/work later.

edit: Looked at the Touchdown video and was not sure if it required Msft exchange.. these are simple Pop3 accounts

Since you're using POP3, your options are going to be limited. You would have a lot more flexibility with an IMAP GMail account. Exchange not required. Plus, GMail is free.

From what you describe, a simple change in methodology would serve you better.

Instead of deleting the email from your phone after you've read it, why not just file it in a folder/label for review later when at home? You can move it from your Inbox (if you don't want to "see" it on the phone) and then review it from your desktop when you get home. It's everything you say you want, but without having to delete anything.

Google calls GMail folders "labels", because you can actually have an email "labeled" in multiple folders at once without making multiple copies of the same email. If you use the GMail app on your phone it's really easy. After you finish reading an email on your phone, simply hit MENU and choose CHANGE LABELS. Then uncheck "Inbox" and put a check next to your "Review Later" label (or whatever folder label you decide to call it). That will hide it from your Inbox and put it in the "Review Later" folder. Then you can go into GMail when you get home and re-read/review everything in your "Review Later" folder, and then do whatever housekeeping you want with it from your desktop.

The point is, POP3 is an ancient email protocol that isn't very good for sophisticated email management. Try GMail. It even allows you to funnel POP3 accounts to your GMail account so that everything is centralized.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Now its making more sense..well from what I just read, it sounds like Touchdown might not be the solution for POP3 email accounts..but that might be a better question for someone from the company to answer, haha.

This is also probably the reason you arent getting as many options...I just looked it up...you have less control when setting up a POP3 account, versus an Exchange account.

Unfortunately, a lot of the forum answers are telling people to use gmail instead of the pop3...
check out this thread: I found a bunch of suggestions in here...just ignore the people telling the OP to use Gmail, haha

I hope this link is not bad to post...it is to a thread on HF... I apologize in advance to the mods if so...
Computers: In need of a third-party POP3 email service

You said you returned it anyway though right? I think this is more of an Android limitation rather than a problem with the Charge. I wonder if an iphone would be any better?

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
"You said you returned it anyway though right? I think this is more of an Android limitation rather than a problem with the Charge. I wonder if an iphone would be any better?"

My wife has an Iphone and I went through her settings and it seems to do what I want..
I wanted to get an LTE phone though

rorkin

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Since you're using POP3, your options are going to be limited. You would have a lot more flexibility with an IMAP GMail account. Exchange not required. Plus, GMail is free.

From what you describe, a simple change in methodology would serve you better.

Instead of deleting the email from your phone after you've read it, why not just file it in a folder/label for review later when at home? You can move it from your Inbox (if you don't want to "see" it on the phone) and then review it from your desktop when you get home. It's everything you say you want, but without having to delete anything.

Google calls GMail folders "labels", because you can actually have an email "labeled" in multiple folders at once without making multiple copies of the same email. If you use the GMail app on your phone it's really easy. After you finish reading an email on your phone, simply hit MENU and choose CHANGE LABELS. Then uncheck "Inbox" and put a check next to your "Review Later" label (or whatever folder label you decide to call it). That will hide it from your Inbox and put it in the "Review Later" folder. Then you can go into GMail when you get home and re-read/review everything in your "Review Later" folder, and then do whatever housekeeping you want with it from your desktop.

The point is, POP3 is an ancient email protocol that isn't very good for sophisticated email management. Try GMail. It even allows you to funnel POP3 accounts to your GMail account so that everything is centralized.

All reasonable.. Just trying to replicate the simplicity of what I am doing now with the blackberry.

Blanco954

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I use commontime because my IT runs Lotus Notes (geeez!!) but that what I have to deal with and lucky for me I get all the features I am looking for and no IT involved to tell me it can't be done. I have full push and x download intervals the I can even set it up on the charge to push email to my device with peak and off peak time settings this software is very good. I highly recommend! surf over to their site hope this helps.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Touchdown will work on simple POP3 for you... I am not a fan of most 3rd part "integration" apps cause they are mostly bulky and slow but touchdown is quite minimal and would fix your issue..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz