Dropping data?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've started to notice that my charge has been dropping data over the last couple of days. The problem seems to be getting more consistent as time goes on. This problem first occurred on 4g, and a quick toggle seemed to resolve the issue. Now I've seen the phone drop data on 3g/4g and wifi. Each time I lose it a simple toggle resolves the issue... but I still question if I have a more severe issue at hand. I've had consistent 3-4 bars each time this has occurred.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Where do you live?? VZW has been issuing things about "network updates" with the impending 4G updates..are you in a area possibly that is getting 4G soon, or maybe a improvement to the 4G network??

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Where do you live?? VZW has been issuing things about "network updates" with the impending 4G updates..are you in a area possibly that is getting 4G soon, or maybe a improvement to the 4G network??

That's a good possibility as I live in Denver... and they are extending the network further here. However, this doesn't explain the issue with wifi, does it?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I keep the background data toggled on at all times. I did turn it off this morning simply because I was not familiar with what it actually did (still trying to learn on this). Should I be toggling the data off when on wifi?

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
no i was just seeing if it was causing you to loose ALL connections w/ whatever VZW may be doing in your area..( I cant tell you the logistics between the different data connections on this device) but for testing sake if you can turn off data completely and see what it does w/ you issue of dropping WiFi then at least we have more data to try and troubleshoot

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I keep the background data toggled on at all times. I did turn it off this morning simply because I was not familiar with what it actually did (still trying to learn on this). Should I be toggling the data off when on wifi?

I also would like to know how the switching works between WIFI and VZ's network. It seems like it uses WIFI if it is available in place of 3G/4G/1X. If WIFI is turned off then 3G/4G/1X is used.

In my area, Cincinnati, it seems like the carrier signal may be improving. I am in an area where no cell phone gets a strong signal, however VZ seems to have the strongest.

Sidenote: I have a network extender and when it is available my location is not always correct in the weatherbug widget. I am guessing the extender cannot tell the phone its location.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... 3hrs into my day and I've had to reboot the phone twice to pick up data when trying to switch from wifi/4g and from 4g/3g. Both switches lost data and I wasn't able to toggle it back on either time.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
odd... are your issues mainly during the day? or have you tried it late at night?
trying to see if it is a 9-5 thing which would be more likely if network is being serviced, or overrun

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
All hours of the day. The biggest issue seems to be when I try to toggle between connections... the phone just decides that it doesn't want to turn data back on. I typically have 3-4 bars of service, but can't get data back unless I reboot.

That may be a separate issue... the other is that I can have good data signal, and all of the sudden my apps whicch require data will stop functioning. Data still shows in the status bar, but I can not connect to servers.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
the app thing is consistent w/ a drop in data... bad news I cant give you a reason it happens to the point of a battery pull being necessary,, I will research but to be honest i'm stumped..

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm strongly considering returning this phone as its not even a week old. Ill try to go back to touchwiz and stop using widgetsoid to see if either it or launcher pro are causing my issues.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
All hours of the day. The biggest issue seems to be when I try to toggle between connections... the phone just decides that it doesn't want to turn data back on. I typically have 3-4 bars of service, but can't get data back unless I reboot.

That may be a separate issue... the other is that I can have good data signal, and all of the sudden my apps whicch require data will stop functioning. Data still shows in the status bar, but I can not connect to servers.

I think this is more related to the network than the Charge. Many are having the exact same issue on the Bolt. I've been considering getting a charge because of the data connection issue on my Bolt but it looks like you and others are experiencing the exact same things. It appears Verizon is experiencing growing pains with all these new devices and a new network. Unfortunately the best option we may have is to wait for Verizon to iron out the issues since they seem to be present with both LTE phones currently available.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I anyone around Long Island, NY or similar? I heard we get great 4G in my area, as it was one of the first areas to get it, as well as adopt all of Verizon's goodies (ala FiOS).

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems it is network related, but in my area I dont seems to drop coverage, but a friend or 2 with the TB say they drop "every now and then" So i would say it is a combination of device and network with he charge being less likely than TB but still not "perfect" on the network yet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2