Partial internet access with hotspot or usb tether.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed this same issue with my previous HTC Thunderbolt as well. For a while now, whenever I use the mobile hotspot or usb tethering on my PC, I can only browse the internet (ie. Firefox) for a few minutes and then all browsing will state that there is no internet connection available. My PC running Windows 7 will still indicate it is connected. However if I run a torrent, it will run and full speed at that. Is Verizon only blocking me from certain ports on the internet?

I have incurred very high data usage with the Thunderbolt and now Charge which may be causing this issue. However, I find it very strange they'd possibly block web browsing but not torrenting, where the latter which would typically suck much more bandwidth, the last thing Verizon wants!)

Would anyone here be able to explain or if they've experienced this as well? :-\

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com
No personal experience on my part with Verizon throttling my bandwidth usage, but it's very likely from what I've read, especially if you're clearly abusing the network.

The reason it might be blocking you from the Internet and not torrents is simply because it's easy. All they have to do is block traffic on port 80. On the other hand, once they find out what port your torrent client is using, they can block that too. Have you tried accessing a website, say, google using "https://' instead of the regular "http://"? It's an idea.

Dekay09

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
NO USB Tethering

I tried to get USB tethering to work about 4 days ago. NOTHING! Even after the whole glitch with the mobile hotspot thing. I went into the settings and re-set the date manually to May (any day) and the mobile hotspot now works. BUT the tethering still doesn't work????? The first time I tried to do it a few days ago my computer said the drivers were not installed. I am running windows 7 (64-bit). I couldn't get it to work at all then............ and now my phone doesn't even show up on my List of available networks to connect to when tethered to USB cable. Although, when using mobile hotspot (wireless tether) the phone shows up as (Samsung Charge- I renamed it) in the networks list AND connects just fine.

What gives????? How do I get the USB tethering to work?