INstalling apps on sd card?

billku

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi -- newbie type question, sorry, but given the relatively small 2gb on-board memory, can apps be installed to the large 32gb sd card on a non-rooted Charge? And if so, can you have shortcuts to launch those apps on one of the various homescreens? I ask because I recall reading somewhere that shortcuts to sd-card installed apps aren't allowed in Android.

Thanks in advance for an answer!

lrdiaz

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Install as usual, then navigate to Settings-->Applications. Select any application, and if capable, there will be a button labeled Move to SD Card

billku

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if you can have shortcuts to those applications on the homescreen once they're moved to the sd card? (My Charge is coming tomorrow, FYI, which is why I can't try it myself right now). Thanks for the reply, lrdiaz!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
apps to sdcard is a useless feature that breaks widgets and slows the response time of the apps, 2 gigs should be plenty , i would have to install my largest app 600 times to fill 2gigs of internal storage

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I typically install the largest apps, and for the most part I am done putting games on my Droid, my wife isn't using her iPod Touch so I have all of my previous games on that for casual use. I will just install the quick game or two on my Droid.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
apps to sdcard is a useless feature that breaks widgets and slows the response time of the apps, 2 gigs should be plenty , i would have to install my largest app 600 times to fill 2gigs of internal storage

This is so very true. Also prevents you from using a custom icon shortcut when installed on sd .

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

billku

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. Just finished reading the custom Rom thread, DroidXCon, it sounds great. Quick question: I don't plan on flashing the phone with your rom right away, so in your opinion, is there still plenty of room on the internal storage on a non-rooted phone for plenty of new apps even with all the bloatware?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. Just finished reading the custom Rom thread, DroidXCon, it sounds great. Quick question: I don't plan on flashing the phone with your rom right away, so in your opinion, is there still plenty of room on the internal storage on a non-rooted phone for plenty of new apps even with all the bloatware?

Yeah removable bloatware is maybe 70mb

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you consider bloatware, for me blockbuster, bitbop, cityid, lets golf2, rhapsody, Rockband, slacker, tunewiki, VZNavigtor,

For example I pulled this from the ThunderBolt thread here http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...afe-remove-once-rooted-how-put-them-back.html

Application Icon Name Size (MB)
VZW_Golf.apk Let Golf 2 131.05
SlackerRadio Slacker 123.00
VZW_Rhapsody.apk Rhapsody 5.25
VzNav.apk VZ Navigator 2.67
TuneWiki.apk TuneWiki 2.03
Kindle-OEM Amazon Kindle 1.87
Blockbuster.apk Blockbuster .80
VCast.apk V Cast Apps .76
VVM.apk Verizon Visual Voicemail .74
CityID.apk City ID .64
VZW_Rockbank.apk Rock Band .03
Total 271.03

Those all appear on the Droid Charge and I pull all of them off. You can get another 271MB of space back which is not bad at all. You can take your free internal storage from 1.12GB to 1.34GB. Still low by my standards, but tolerable.

Reactions: fundragon