$120 off at Costco... any way to get this back?

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So I talked to a rep on Verizon's customer support chat on their website, and she said that they don't offer insurance/extended warranties on phones purchased from BestBuy/Costco/the like. However, I really think she was talking out her ass considering I've found multiple other posts on other sites saying you can add insurance within 30 days of purchase... regardless of where you purchased from. Can anyone confirm this?

P.S, a second rep on the site said the same thing, but this time I told them I'd already purchased. Wtf -.-

I got my DC from Costco and have the warranty from VZ on the account.

neverdye

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the salesperson at Costco told me that they do indeed have a 90 day RETURN policy. The way he explained it to me was that you can RETURN the phone up to 90 days, but not exchange it. They will take the phone back, and give you your money back, but at that time, you have already used your upgrade.
Like I said, not 100% sure if that is correct, just what I was told.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the salesperson at Costco told me that they do indeed have a 90 day RETURN policy. The way he explained it to me was that you can RETURN the phone up to 90 days, but not exchange it. They will take the phone back, and give you your money back, but at that time, you have already used your upgrade.
Like I said, not 100% sure if that is correct, just what I was told.

That's the way I understood it. You have to return the phone w/in 14 days to NOT use your upgrade.

rumors

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone post the written terms for Costco's return policy. That has to explain the return policy and is what one should probably read and go by rather than what some sales persons claims the policy to be. It should state under what circumstances you may return the item (e.g. on a whim or must it be defective), whether you return the item for your money back or for an exchange, what happens to any other contracts entered into as part of your initial purchase, etc...
You should be able to read the terms prior to purchase and can hold Costco to those written terms. It works better than putting yourself out there based on what a salesperson says or what you read on a forum.

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone post the written terms for Costco's return policy.

This is from their online store, so I'm assuming it's at least similar in policy:

Costco.com's return policy for any Wireless Advocates merchandise obtained through this website is 90 days from the original date of purchase. You must ship your merchandise back to Wireless Advocates for a full refund. Merchandise should not be returned to a Costco store. All returns must be accompanied by a return authorization form which can be obtained from our Customer Service Team. Our distribution center is not able to process refunds for returns received without a return authorization.

Within 90 days you may receive a refund on the handset itself. However, you will still be responsible for any applicable early termination fees if service is canceled after the Trial Period. The Trial Period varies by carrier and State. See carrier Cancellation Policy for details.

Once the product is received back at our distribution center, a refund for the full purchase amount will be credited back to the card used for payment. <

Damaged or Defective Merchandise Returns

If your merchandise arrives damaged or defective, please contact our customer service representatives immediately. We will send a return authorization form to you to return the damaged or defective merchandise back to us.

Once the product is received back at our distribution center, a refund for the full purchase amount will be credited back to the card used for payment.

Service Agreements

Costco.com only sells cellular phones to customers who sign a new activation agreement, or who qualify for an upgrade and sign a qualified contract extension with their respective carrier. Costco is unable to exchange or sell a replacement phone after the Carrier Trial Period ends.

The handset(s) you purchased reflects a discount based on activation of a service agreement with a wireless carrier. If for any reason you cancel your service or your service is terminated within 90 days of activation, the handset(s) you purchased must be returned in accordance with this return policy so we can continue to offer a value to Costco.com customers.

Obtained here

rumors

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is from their online store, so I'm assuming it's at least similar in policy:

Costco.com's return policy for any Wireless Advocates merchandise obtained through this website is 90 days from the original date of purchase. You must ship your merchandise back to Wireless Advocates for a full refund. Merchandise should not be returned to a Costco store. All returns must be accompanied by a return authorization form which can be obtained from our Customer Service Team. Our distribution center is not able to process refunds for returns received without a return authorization.

Within 90 days you may receive a refund on the handset itself. However, you will still be responsible for any applicable early termination fees if service is canceled after the Trial Period. The Trial Period varies by carrier and State. See carrier Cancellation Policy for details.

Once the product is received back at our distribution center, a refund for the full purchase amount will be credited back to the card used for payment. <

Damaged or Defective Merchandise Returns

If your merchandise arrives damaged or defective, please contact our customer service representatives immediately. We will send a return authorization form to you to return the damaged or defective merchandise back to us.

Once the product is received back at our distribution center, a refund for the full purchase amount will be credited back to the card used for payment.

Service Agreements

Costco.com only sells cellular phones to customers who sign a new activation agreement, or who qualify for an upgrade and sign a qualified contract extension with their respective carrier. Costco is unable to exchange or sell a replacement phone after the Carrier Trial Period ends.

The handset(s) you purchased reflects a discount based on activation of a service agreement with a wireless carrier. If for any reason you cancel your service or your service is terminated within 90 days of activation, the handset(s) you purchased must be returned in accordance with this return policy so we can continue to offer a value to Costco.com customers.

Obtained here
Thanks! I could not get that at work - we do not have access to all web sites.

It reads like there are no exchanges after the Verizon trial period of 14 days. But I think the policy leaves a few open questions.

Such as: what is "full purchase amount"? Is that the full price of the phone or only the amount you paid, which is subsidized as part of entering the 2 year contract? I expect it is only the amount you paid.
If Costco refunds only the amount you paid, will Costco then allow you to buy an alternate handset at a subsidized price. At that point you would no longer be entering a new contract because you are still locked into the first one.

I would not help me to return the Charge in August, receive $199 or whatever as a refund and have to pay $600 to buy a Bionic or whatever may come out without a new contract

Last edited:

sbrec06

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
So if I go buy the charge today at costco, I will be locked into the 4G unlimited data. But if the Bionic comes out within 90 days I could exchange the Charge for the Bionic, but will my plan still stay the same? or will I have to switch my plan?

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So if I go buy the charge today at costco, I will be locked into the 4G unlimited data. But if the Bionic comes out within 90 days I could exchange the Charge for the Bionic, but will my plan still stay the same? or will I have to switch my plan?

Your contract is regardless of phone, you just need to maintain 2 years of data. I got a DC and and talke dot VZ they say the copntract is not tied toa specific phone so you can flip phones any time. From what is being leaked now 3G and 4G data plans will be the same. I too am considering a Bionic eventually if it is as good as it pretends to be. I got the DC for $179 at Costco so it is almost dispoable at that price.

EasyP

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So I am going to buy a charge right now... Got best buy to price match (they did it from costco website but YMMV) and I believe their return policy is a good medium between costco and verizon. I would hate to be without a phone as long as Id imagine would happen with Costco. Hopefully all goes well and I will be a rooting machine in a month. First smartphone can only imagine the possibilities.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
so I can print out the 179.99 from Costco and take it to best buy and they will price match?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

EasyP

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I would call...

But yeah it was really easy, but again i confirmed over the phone before I wasted a trip. THey even looked it up online as verification and I now have a 30 day window as opposed to the unknown of Costco. So far im pretty happy i just need to figure out my accessories.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
But yeah it was really easy, but again i confirmed over the phone before I wasted a trip. THey even looked it up online as verification and I now have a 30 day window as opposed to the unknown of Costco. So far im pretty happy i just need to figure out my accessories.

Its not unknown.....its posted in their booth as 90 days and its printed on my sales receipt as 90 days.

EasyP

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It is unknown to me, from what i got reading their info you can return up to 90 days not exchange... Thats the only reason i would ever return the charge is to get the Bionic. I also heard about a 14 day window in addition to multiple people who said it took forever for costco to process the return leaving you without a phone and again from what i understand having used your upgrade past 14 days. I could be wrong, but at least I KNOW i have 30 with Best Buy and i read multiple places that its an easy exchange process. To each their own, but i dont think that a little reticence towards costco is all that bad.

RiotShooter

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Ive been to multiple Costco's and from what they told me is that the 90 day exchange is only on the device that you've purchased. I asked exactly if i bought the charge and wanted to get the bionic would i be able to exchange for that device and the sales rep said no. Go figure because multiple people on here have said that their sales person said they would do the exchange no problem. YMMV.

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh my god, the fiasco I just went through with Wireless Advocates because they screwed up. I received my Charge today and the phone wouldn't activate. The instructions in the box said nothing but to dial *228 to activate... obviously that's incorrect. Booted the phone up with the SIM card in and it said activation failed. Called up Wireless Advocates and they said that the SIM card that they shipped with the phone was "retired". The rep at Verizon didn't even know what the hell that meant. Wireless Advocates are shipping out a replacement SIM that should arrive on Monday. When I asked why they couldn't rush it out (being that THEY screwed up... what if I was a business customer leaving the country and needed my device TODAY?), they said they couldn't ship the device out overnight for Saturday delivery. When I asked the customer service lady why, she simply said "I'm sorry sir, I can't do that."?same response I got when I then asked her why, specifically, she can't. Sounded like a broken record.

Needless to say I'm pissed. WTF Wireless Advocates, I'll never purchase through you again. Anybody know how to access the device without it being activated? -.-

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary