Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Humble Froyo v1.51 w/pb&j

Default Getting texts from OZMAIL?

I searched the entire forum and all threads for "ozmail", but nothing came up. After the past week I've been receiving numerous texts that states "OZMAIL CI=(then a lot of numerical and alpha characters.). The number that it sends from is: 118012222357

I've yet to call Verizon about this matter, but figured someone around here may be experiencing the same thing.

Not yet but since getting my charge I have gotten 2 span text messages from companies I don't know.

Sent from my Droid Charge

It is internet email to sms text spam. Here is how to stop it (be sure to scroll down and read the details):

You can call Verizon and 1) ask for a credit on the SMS spam and 2) ask them to block internet-to-sms emails to your phone. That way the only sms messages you will receive will be from smartphones.
    Last edited by geochemical; 06-06-2011 at 12:16 AM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by geochemical View Post
    It is internet email to sms text spam. Here is how to stop it (be sure to scroll down and read the details):

You can call Verizon and 1) ask for a credit on the SMS spam and 2) ask them to block internet-to-sms emails to your phone. That way the only sms messages you will receive will be from smartphones.
    I may just try having them block the number. I actually use internet-to-sms emails for some of my sports teams. I'll give that site a looksie. Thanks.

I have received some from OZMAIL too. Just deleted them too. Have had any in about a week now though.
    Live, Laugh and Love Everyday.

funny you guys mention this...my buddy came home with a phone over the weekend with the same thing.

It's relating to leaving something (aim or email) running on an old phone..and not shutting it off. Something to do with data stored on Verizon's servers (im assuming some sort of cache). I found it looking for him.

"That's because OZmail is not spam. It's a function built by your carrier to allow SMS alerts for new email to be sent to your phone by a third-party email service provider" Copied from a site I found searching google for OZmail.

Read more: How to Stop Ozmail Text on Verizon | eHow.com

The funny thing is the verizon store told him it was an app he downloaded...haha. He didn't even have one on his phone yet.

ROM
    Altered Beast V4

I came from a feature phone from a feature phone to my first droid. Within 2 hours of setting my phone up I started getting ozmail sms. I ended up with about 25 in the first 3 days. Googled ozmail and came up with all the headache's people have had with getting it to stop. So I called VZ CS. Told them about it the guy looked up ozmail and there was a notice about it. Asked if I had email set up on my old phone. I did not said not to worry they would handle it. 2 weeks go by then i start getting the ozmail crap again. I called VZ back they transferred me to tier 2 support. The young lady said it was a Verizon service they use. She said reply "STOP" she did some stuff in my account and I have been oz free for a few more weeks now. Hope this helps.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by rescueswimmer View Post
    I came from a feature phone from a feature phone to my first droid. Within 2 hours of setting my phone up I started getting ozmail sms. I ended up with about 25 in the first 3 days. Googled ozmail and came up with all the headache's people have had with getting it to stop. So I called VZ CS. Told them about it the guy looked up ozmail and there was a notice about it. Asked if I had email set up on my old phone. I did not said not to worry they would handle it. 2 weeks go by then i start getting the ozmail crap again. I called VZ back they transferred me to tier 2 support. The young lady said it was a Verizon service they use. She said reply "STOP" she did some stuff in my account and I have been oz free for a few more weeks now. Hope this helps.
    I've tried replying back with "stop" but no dice...Guess I'll just keep replying...

Quote Originally Posted by tkm20 View Post
    I've tried replying back with "stop" but no dice...Guess I'll just keep replying...
    I'm pretty sure verizon has to do something with it...

ROM
    Altered Beast V4

Make sure you contact Verizon and have them document it. Call back until you get a tech that knows of the OZmail issue then have them do there magic.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM

Just got off the phone with vzw cs. They ended up transferring me to a tech where they then searched my number in some sort of system to make sure I have been removed from the list. She also told me to reply to the OZMAIL message with a all caps "STOP" no quotes. So I'll give it until I get back from Bonnaroo to say if this is a solution to the problem.

ROM
    stock

I'm speaking to VZW tech support, and they are telling me that it is because I had mobile email on a pre-existing device, and that these are notifications from that. This is why by going into whatever email accounts you had set up on your mobile email, and disabling notifications, they should stop. Hope this helps.
    I did have to have them issue a trouble ticket.. and they should be able to put a stop to it. I also did go into my yahoo mail and deleted my cell phone number from all my settings.

ROM
    Altered Beast V4

They told me the same thing about the mobile email, but I had never set it up on my old phone, but the problem seems to have stopped.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM

I just have my email setup on my blackberry curve. I activated it a week or two ago to test if the phone still worked. No way I'll be taking my Charge to Bonnaroo. Once I get back from the festival I'll wipe the blackberry and see if it helps as well. Thanks guys.

ROM
    Rooted Debloated Stock

I just started getting these on my Charge since the EE1 or EE4 update (can't say for sure because I applied both the same day). When I try to open the message it disappears from the list. I'm using Go SMS Pro instead of the stock Messaging application (it's effectively disabled so I don't know if it would be giving me the same problems). The culprit (at least for me) seems to be syncing Yahoo! Mail to the stock Email app on the phone (though it's just a guess).

I did see "Yahoo! Mail for Verizon" under my Yahoo account info "Manage App and Website Connections". When I delete it I get an error on the phone that I have to re-authenticate, but none of those texts. I've switched to using the Yahoo! Mail app from the market and so far so good.

I got a few sms's from them a few weeks ago, but haven't since. Hopefully replying "stop" worked...? I'm just using the Gmail app that came with the phone, and haven't used any other non-stock email apps, so I'm not sure why I got them to begin with.
    Droid Charge- imnuts's CWM/voodoo lagfix, PBJ Time kernel= super fast and sexy
    Samsung Fascinate- Rooted...

i just started getting the ozmail texts also last week.
    VZW told me to reply "stop" I did it and 1 hour later i received another ozmail text. I called vzw back and the next rep told me i may need to wait a billing cycle for it to stop.....

Default Text Messages from 118012222357 OzMail

After the 1st couple of Text messages, I called Verizon. I had switched from a Charge to a Thunderbolt and Verizon told me it was because of one of the apps that I had downloaded for the Charge but was not using on the Thunderbolt. I contacted the developer and informed him of the problem. He was helpfull and said he would work on it. I have since uploaded the app on the Thunderbolt and hope this solves the problem.

Good luck!

I searched the entire forum and all threads for "ozmail", but nothing came up. After the past week I've been receiving numerous texts that states "OZMAIL CI=(then a lot of numerical and alpha characters.). The number that it sends from is: 118012222357

I've yet to call Verizon about this matter, but figured someone around here may be experiencing the same thing.

ROM
    EE4/Gummy 1.75/PBJ

I got one after the EE4 update? I'm not sure Verizon has any clue why these are showing up and the reasons they suggest don't apply to me.

Anyway, I responded with 'stop' and so far so good.

Default Re: Getting texts from OZMAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by mboverst View Post
    I got one after the EE4 update? I'm not sure Verizon has any clue why these are showing up and the reasons they suggest don't apply to me.

Anyway, I responded with 'stop' and so far so good.
    I bought a new charge, transferred my sim card and ad card from a tb. First time the charge booted was the first time I got such a text. I've since gone back to the tb and am now getting them on that. How could vz allow such a thing. I don't want to pay any additional charges. Help, please?

Just called Verizon. Just tell them its about OZMAIL and they need to send you to a level 2 tech. Mine found 2 instances in my account that were calling for these notifications. He disabled both of them. No more 2-4am messages. (I hope).

ROM
    Stock for now!

Has anybody had this issue resolved? I started getting these texts with my 2nd replacement charge. I'm on number 4 now and still have this issue. I have called Verizon 7 times now and they don't know what to do!!!!!!!

I rooted and installed gummycharged 2.0 yesterday on my charge, at some point during the day I started receiving the texts. Poked around online and found it was something to do with email getting forwarded to text or some such. I assumed it was gmail since that was the only account i had setup so far.

doing some more poking around i looked at the string of odd numbers and noticed MC=xxxx and during my checking around of email accounts and settings online - I was looking for anything to do with sms forwarding so i could disable it - I noticed the number was the same number as my AOL email inbox. I sent a few emails to that account and sure enough, I got the same amount of texts back and each time the MC=xxxx count increased.

I then deleted my inbox, and sent myself an email and bam. MC=1. I knew it was tied to my AOL account, and on a whim I went ahead and sent "STOP" no quotes to the text I received. I sent a few more texts to my gmail and AOL accounts, and so far so good. I have no idea if this is an AOL specific thing, or just general email. So I suppose you could check the MC=xxxx and compare it to whatever inboxes you have set up to figure out which email service is the culprit. But all in all sending STOP seemed to work for me so far.

Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock for now!

I will try to reply with STOP again and see if it works this time. Thanks for the help !

I isolated my texts to hotmail so i enabled text notification(which weren't enabled) and changed the notifications to none. Pretty frusrating but that stopped them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast