Best ways to prevent/do away with lagging on the charge?

Gravytrain

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid charge being sent to me to replace my disastrous thunderbolt. I'm pumped about having a stable device again but I am concerned about the lagging issues. What are some ways, tips and tricks, whatever you want to call it, ways to prevent or do away with lagging?? Non rooted by the way. I would love to root but I get very intimidated just when reading the root instructions... Anyways... TIA

elucid

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Install alternate launcher lp or adw. Disable all window animations. Those two got rid of my lag.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
The kernel, in any system, is the software layer between the hardware and the rest of the software. It contains the drivers and initializes the hardware, providing prioritized access for the rest of the software. You can make improvements to the kernel that make a big difference in hardware clock speed and voltage, how efficiently the hardware is used, and add support for new codecs, filesystems, etc used by a ROM.

A ROM, in this case, refers to the higher levels of the OS that you actually interact with. Its called that because its the other piece of software that's written to the read only memory NAND flash on the device, other than the kernel and baseband software. But changing the ROM allows you to change the look and feel of the OS on every level, change basic installed applications, change how different parts of the OS interact with one another, remove carrier and manufacturer bloat and launchers, and change to a more efficient filesystem, if your kernel supports it.

There's more, but those are the basics. Hope that helps you understand it a little better.

Reactions: saillling4life

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I too had the Tbolt when they first came out but sent back within the trial period so I’d could consider the next 2. I waited until the Rev came out to decide and The Charge one and man I am not disappointed. This thing is so cool. I like it way better than the Tbolt. With the VZW clamshell/holster it just looks better to me and it’s a head turner for sure. Like you, my main concern was UI lag and browser performance. Anyone holding back from getting this phone because of TW, let me tell you right now, do not let that hold you back. I loaded and tested several launchers and Go Launcher is by far the best for me. It eliminates any UI lag, in fact is very fast, and the amount of personalization and operational options is unreal to a novice like my self. It has a setting called Themes with a button that takes you right to the market for more Themes and a good portion of them are free. Launcher Pro didn’t seem to have very many free Themes or widgets and it was no where near as customizable for me. Anyway, I thought I was going to miss Sense UI personalization but I was way wrong. You can do anything with Go L. 30 home screens, screen transitions, customized icons, scrolling dock bar that holds up to 15 icons instead of 2 or 3. Nothings rooted and it works like a charm. Oh and did I say most of it was FREE. You can’t say that about the SPB 3D Shell. BTY, the battery is doing much better than the Tbolt. Very noticeable difference and I like it. I'm not going back to HTC anytime soon. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Im running Go Launcher and I have buttery smooth performance. Ive run Launcher pro as well. I think Go is smoother imho.

I completely agree with what he said. I used launcher pro for two weeks and am now using go launcher... for about a week. Go launcher is far superior, imo

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add that I'm now seeing high 900's (just got 986) in Quadrant on a stock ED1 ROM and kernel, and the phone is much quicker. All I did was root, freeze a bunch of apks that came preloaded that I wasn't using, and made sure to change the settings of any program that was unnecessarily running in the background all the time. I do NOT use a task killer, though I do manually close programs and clear running services from time to time. Most of my apps are on the Class 4 card the phone came with, and I'm running Go Launcher without any widgets. I keep everything turned off in the TW power settings in the drawer until I need it, as everything comes right back on when I want it.

With these changes, I've noticed a dramatic improvement in performance, speed, and battery life, considering this is still all stock. So for those like myself who have to wait a bit before taking advantage of all the great stuff the devs give us because our situation requires our phones to be 100% stable and we can't always be near our computers, take heart. It's very easy to make serious improvements without flashing anything at all, provided you're ED1. And by the time those improvements fail to satisfy, the devs' work will be stable enough for all of us to try!

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got a 955 ED1 completely stock. I use touchwiz with no widgets and it is perfectly quick and smooth for me! Still wondering whether or not I should let the sumb!tch upgrade to ED2

Reactions: whaites

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My lag issues are generally at various startups... When turning on, I have tovwait before entering my numeric lock code. When docking it takes a moment to finish whatever it is doing. And when hitting the home button, I have to wait before I can navigate launcher screens.

Do alternate launchers help with this kind of lag? (I figured it might be a result of RAM limitation.)

Also real time music programs are an issue, but I think that's a universal Android issue.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My lag issues are generally at various startups... When turning on, I have tovwait before entering my numeric lock code. When docking it takes a moment to finish whatever it is doing. And when hitting the home button, I have to wait before I can navigate launcher screens.

Do alternate launchers help with this kind of lag? (I figured it might be a result of RAM limitation.)

Also real time music programs are an issue, but I think that's a universal Android issue.

start up lag is due to memory card scanning, try backing up all the contents of your memory card to your computer, then format the card and startup should be alot faster

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
start up lag is due to memory card scanning, try backing up all the contents of your memory card to your computer, then format the card and startup should be alot faster

Than what would be the point of a memory card? Especially when some apps need the memory card to work, like medscape for example.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I got a 955 ED1 completely stock. I use touchwiz with no widgets and it is perfectly quick and smooth for me! Still wondering whether or not I should let the sumb!tch upgrade to ED2

Mine was automatically updated and I honestly don't see any lag issues or problems with speed.

brian3541

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, I allowed my charge to update and its plenty fast without rooting or a launcher. Maybe I am not used to a faster phone though...

Farabomb

May 23, 2011
www.azpinstalls.com
I completely agree with what he said. I used launcher pro for two weeks and am now using go launcher... for about a week. Go launcher is far superior, imo

I didn't hate TW but I can't have something and not screw with it. Launcher Pro for a week and had some issues with it. Downloaded Go and haven't looked back.

Reactions: rbess1965

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad