Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    xRodo's Avatar

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

    Default Negotiating Price at Verizon

    I was eligible for an upgrade in January, and I have been waiting on the Charge/Bionic. I have decided to go with the Charge for various reasons. Has anyone had experience negotiating the price down at a Verizon store? Amazon currently has the phone for $200 with a new contract, but Verizon.com still has it at $250. I would prefer to buy it from the Verizon store. Does anyone think they will come down to $200 if I renew for 2 years with the unlimited data plan, or will the insist that $250 is the best they can do? Does anyone have any ideas or advice on how to go about negotiating? Thanks.
  2. #2  
    jkeene81's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

    Default

    I tried that approach and got shut down however on my way out to order from amazon a rep stopped me and said that weekend the charge would be on sale for $200 that weekend so just waited a couple of days. It def wouldnt hurt to bring up the amazon deal maybe you will get a sympathetic ear!
    Droid Charge
    Eclipse v1.2/ imnuts PBJ OTB Edn
    If you like what I say, hit the Thanks button!
    Thanked by:
    xRodo 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    xRodo's Avatar

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

    Default

    I appreciate it. If I can't get them to come down to $200, I'll do the Amazon deal. I refuse to pay $50 extra. I need that for the Otter Box so I don't have to buy a new one in two weeks.
  4. #4  
    jkeene81's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

    Default

    My only issue with using Amazon was if I wanted to return the phone I couldnt just walk back into Verizon and hand it over, would have to mail it back in. After a week with the phone I found I could not part with it and went ahead and rooted and am not looking back. You will def love it!
    Droid Charge
    Eclipse v1.2/ imnuts PBJ OTB Edn
    If you like what I say, hit the Thanks button!
  5. #5  
    stranula's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy Charged FE 1.9.1

    Default

    I've also tried negotiating at verizon with no luck. If you are going to take this approach, also try verizon's 800 number. I can't say with certainty, but I think they have more leeway than the actual stores do, I've gotten them to do things for me that the verizon store reps said couldn't be done period. I ended up using amazon, because after tax and the price difference its over $100 saved. Like the post above me says, its not so great if you have to return the phone for a replacement, but Amazon has great customer service, from my experience they've been far more helpful and knowledgeable than verizon customer service. They also overnight replacements or anything you need after your initial purchase.
  6. #6  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkeene81 View Post
    My only issue with using Amazon was if I wanted to return the phone I couldnt just walk back into Verizon and hand it over, would have to mail it back in. After a week with the phone I found I could not part with it and went ahead and rooted and am not looking back. You will def love it!
    after the first 14 days all warrenty returns must be done though vzw call center.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    xRodo's Avatar

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

    Default

    Another questions you guys might can answer.

    If I go to purchase this at the Verizon store, can they charge it to my account? I would like to go ahead and get the phone now, but I will not have the money to pay for it for about three more days. Do I have to pay for the phone when I purchase it or can it be charged until the end of the month?
  8. #8  

    Default

    I charged my to my account . I did it online but I am pretty sure they will let you instore too.
    Live, Laugh and Love Everyday.
    Thanked by:
    xRodo 
  9. #9  

    Default

    You can get the phone at Costco for $180, which includes a 90-day exchange policy with no fees for exchange, either...
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ellje View Post
    You can get the phone at Costco for $180, which includes a 90-day exchange policy with no fees for exchange, either...
    That is exactly what I did and I love it...that is the best way to go...buy it today and if the bionic comes out between now and September (which is an eternity for new electronics) and you decide you want that instead....go get it....LOL!!! I can chamge every 3 months if I want....LOL!!!!
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nismo View Post
    That is exactly what I did and I love it...that is the best way to go...buy it today and if the bionic comes out between now and September (which is an eternity for new electronics) and you decide you want that instead....go get it....LOL!!! I can chamge every 3 months if I want....LOL!!!!
    That's not quite how it works. You have 90 days from the original purchase date - NOT 90 days from each exchange. However, you can exchange as many times as you want in that 90 day window (provided you pay the difference in price or get back money if the new one is cheaper)
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckstou View Post
    That's not quite how it works. You have 90 days from the original purchase date - NOT 90 days from each exchange. However, you can exchange as many times as you want in that 90 day window (provided you pay the difference in price or get back money if the new one is cheaper)
    From what I understand that is correct, also this seems like the best price out there.
  13. #13  

    Default

    I got my charge from Costco about 2-3 weeks ago when it was $250. went in yesterday and talked with the rep and was told they would refund the price difference/change up to 90 days from purchase. So i got $70 back. You can't beat Costco on the price of the Charge!
  14. #14  

    Default

    There are many things that Costco can't be beat for. As a small business owner, my expenses for routine office supplies and technology would be 30% higher without Costco. Plus their AmEx card gives me 5% rebates on fuel and 2% on most other purchases.

    IMO, any small businessperson should be a Costco Executive member. It's a great deal.

    And yes, I got my Charge at Costco!
  15. #15  
    caelius's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    ROM
    BB 6.2.1 on OG Droid

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Turtle View Post
    Another questions you guys might can answer.

    If I go to purchase this at the Verizon store, can they charge it to my account? I would like to go ahead and get the phone now, but I will not have the money to pay for it for about three more days. Do I have to pay for the phone when I purchase it or can it be charged until the end of the month?
    They will offer to charge the phone's price to your account in-store.
  16. #16  
    Menno's Avatar
    Coffee Addict

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

    Default

    Prices on high end phones are typically hard to change because the retail cost for these devices is so high, so the margins are slimmer than normal. Because of this, most stores are unwilling to modify the price (unless you are doing a multi-smartphone line business deal or something crazy) though a lot of them could offer you a discount on accessories.

    Going over the phone you might have a better chance, but in reality, the prices on phones are pretty much set in stone, the accessories are where you have some wiggle room.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
  17. #17  
    expidia's Avatar

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

    Default

    Ya, I paid $299 at the VZ store 2 days ago because the manager let me up grade after a year and a half into a 2 year plan. Which I thought was a win/win for the store and myself. They get me for another 2 year plan.

    The first clerk I talked with wanted to charge me the full retail $570 haha. I said I'd rather pay the $250 term fee and go with a new plan on ATT for another device and I'd still come in a lot cheaper.

    I figure at least the Charge is 4G and for the extra $50 or so at least it finally got me away from my BB Bold device.
    Funny how some go with a $49 iphone which is already 2 years old and then lock into another 2 year plan which puts them now 4 years behind the technology curve. And VZ will not have new every two anymore anyway.

    $200-250 is a fair deal for this latest technology IMO.
    Samsung Droid Charge on VZ
  18. #18  

    Default

    I've had zero luch negotiating price with verizon. ZERO. I did get lucky and hit up the LetsTalk.com memorial day sale, and stacked with a 20% coupon, and got the phone for $150. Sick price. The problem is the same with Amazon, where you have to send back to them for exchanges. I actually had to send the first one back due to a bad screen. I was w/o phone for 10 days. Small price to pay for $100 off.
  19. #19  
    expidia's Avatar

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rolltidewall View Post
    I've had zero luck negotiating price with verizon. ZERO. I did get lucky and hit up the LetsTalk.com memorial day sale, and stacked with a 20% coupon, and got the phone for $150. Sick price. The problem is the same with Amazon, where you have to send back to them for exchanges. I actually had to send the first one back due to a bad screen. I was w/o phone for 10 days. Small price to pay for $100 off.
    Ya, when I bought mine at the VZ store a few days ago, the first Charge they took out of the box had no wrappings so she got another one. Then after 4 reps couldn't get it to activate and after me waiting 2 hours the store manager finally came over and told the reps to go take another one out of their stock. That one activated right away.

    They said their tech support said my activation was stuck in the switch at VZ's circuitry. I don't buy that excuse. I think it was a defective "Charge" .

    So I'd be worried about a good deal online because any new device can have issues especially being a new "4G" device.

    Even VZ charges like 30 or 35 bucks to swap a phone you don't like during the first 14 days. I'd hate to pay shipping plus maybe a restock fee and then find your Charge defective or that you don't like it.

    In my opinion it's cheaper in the long run to buy at a local VZ retailer store or a Costco etc.
    Samsung Droid Charge on VZ
  20. #20  

    Default No discounts at corporate stores.

    Hello everyone,

    Just some clarification on negotiating the price of the Droid Charge. Currently Verizon doesn't allow any discounts on 4G devices or iPhones. I know because I work there and know that if we discount it, the manager will get a "nice" email from leadership asking for an explanation as to why the device was discounted.

    However, don't be discouraged. If you happen to have an employee discount on your account, then most likely you are able to get a discount on the phone. I've noticed that as much as $50 are being discounted. Just ask your sales rep. Also if you're buying accessories, try getting a discount on those; it shouldn't be difficult.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsilva87 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    Just some clarification on negotiating the price of the Droid Charge. Currently Verizon doesn't allow any discounts on 4G devices or iPhones. I know because I work there and know that if we discount it, the manager will get a "nice" email from leadership asking for an explanation as to why the device was discounted.

    However, don't be discouraged. If you happen to have an employee discount on your account, then most likely you are able to get a discount on the phone. I've noticed that as much as $50 are being discounted. Just ask your sales rep. Also if you're buying accessories, try getting a discount on those; it shouldn't be difficult.
    would this include my Government Employee (aka mil discount) to discount the phone????
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazen View Post
    would this include my Government Employee (aka mil discount) to discount the phone????
    Yeah, your government discount would give you about $30 off on the phone.

Posting Permissions