1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default droid charge will get 2.3 gingerbread or 2.4 icecream?

i sure hope the droid charge gets the 2.4 icecream android OS instead of 2.3 gingerbread. do you guys think it will? and why or why not?

Ice Cream Sandwich won't be release until the end of the year, and Samsung and Verizon will likely take a long time after that to get it ported to the Charge. So, I would like Gingerbread by the end of the summer in the mean time. *shrug* I've given up on hopping for releases, though.

We should get Gingerbread pretty soon, I've heard from several places that Samsung is actively working on it. Considering the international Galaxy S phones already have it, I would expect they're pretty far along with it, as much of the code could be shared. It is a Droid device, and the others are getting GB around now, so I wouldn't worry.

I'm fairly certain it'll get ICS as well, just don't expect it real soon. Google is pushing the manufacturers to update their devices in a more timely manner, and provide support for at least 18 months. There's also the fact that the Nexus S, as a pure Google device, will get ICS soon, and the Nexus S 4G is fairly similar hardware. So its not like Samsung wouldn't be able to get it to run well on it, and its likely to be their flagship VZW device for some time, at least until they can get an LTE version of the GS2 out. Phones with as much marketing behind it as this one tend to get supported very well.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

I would guess that I will have a new phone before I get an update I seem to change phones every 8 months or so and Samsung is a little slow with updates. I know people seem to think this phone will be different but I will believe it when I see it

just my guess
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I hope with GB that Sammy adds an option to calibrate the GPS on the DC.

Excuse my noobness, but what is the huge advantage of Gingerbread or ICS over the current OS, anyways?

It seems this complaint and/or question continues to be raised... I must be missing out on something phenomenal. Sometimes ignorance is bliss..

Quote Originally Posted by ellje View Post
    Excuse my noobness, but what is the huge advantage of Gingerbread or ICS over the current OS, anyways?

It seems this complaint and/or question continues to be raised... I must be missing out on something phenomenal. Sometimes ignorance is bliss..
    Software and security updates that are almost a year old have still not been added to the Charge........that is the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ellje View Post

There's lots of improvements, some of which have been ported in to custom ROMs, and some more applicable to devs than users. Anyways:

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadness View Post
    There's lots of improvements, some of which have been ported in to custom ROMs, and some more applicable to devs than users. Anyways:

"let me google that for you" .......pure awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by barnabyh View Post
    "let me google that for you" .......pure awesomeness.
    I don't know if I would want to upgrade to Gingerbread anyways. I have herd that Verizon is making the manufactures put a type of spyware that tells them if u are tethering with an app or by way of root app and will disable your 4g connection like AT&T has been doing with the new OS. I will suffer with stock OS if this is the case.
    Banned

And that is why I will always have a custom rom

Default Re: droid charge will get 2.3 gingerbread or 2.4 icecream?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer_lite View Post
    And that is why I will always have a custom rom
    I can't figure out how to get a teathering/hotspot app and use it for free. Everywhere i look it says they have been removed....help?

Quote Originally Posted by dhp106 View Post
    I can't figure out how to get a teathering/hotspot app and use it for free. Everywhere i look it says they have been removed....help?
    there are some on the market

Isn't google talk video chat supposed to be supported at 2.3?

Is there a way to video chat now on the Charge w/EE4?

I see that there are a lot of phones out there already running gingerbread with more phones getting the update. I also see phones coming out now with ice cream. When is the charge going to be updated and what version are we going to get, gingerbread or ice cream? From what I have been reading, it has been a while since the charge has received any type of update, mind you I've only had the phone about 2 weeks.

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dhp106 View Post
    wanting to run a tether to a laptop etc.. use PDA.NET,,, always straight to top.. nothing in between..
    just a cabled way to operate cpu..

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    Isn't google talk video chat supposed to be supported at 2.3?

Is there a way to video chat now on the Charge w/EE4?
    There is an app called tango in the market. Awesome app I think and its free.

why is it that most of the phones out today are just now getting 2.3 or higher when the tablets are now running 3.0 and 3.1? What gives?

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by radar320 View Post
    why is it that most of the phones out today are just now getting 2.3 or higher when the tablets are now running 3.0 and 3.1? What gives?
    3.x AKA Honeycomb is strictly for tablets. Starting with 4.x AKA ICS it will merge the phone and tablet android OS together.

I may be wrong, but I've never seen any official VZW statement that claims the Charge will be updated. Many times VZW 'promises' and doesn't deliver, but when they don't promise in the first place, I will surely not hold my breath!

Hopefully that is not the case. I had a droid X that was gingerbread and like it. I was eligible for an upgrade and first tried the X2. It was only running froyo and in ways was a step or 2 back from my Droid X and had heard that there was a possiblity that it wasnt going to be upgraded to gingerbread because of the dual core technology. So I returned it within the 14 day window because of this plus, my area was going 4G and wanted a 4G phone. Even running froyo like it is, the Charge has been faster than my Droid X. Now if you are saying that the Charge may not get gingerbread or even ice cream when it comes out, I wonder, did I make a mistake returning the X2 because contrary to what I was told and read, it now is running gingerbread.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Don't listen to the nay payers. There is no doubt that the charge will get gb. We all ready have two leaks for it. I would guess mid to late August. I would also say we have.a good chance at ICS but that might be stretching it a bit and certainly won't be until next year since it doesn't even get released until late this year

Charged up post!

Default Why even bother with Gingerbread until all the bugs are fixed...

At this time, my Charge with Froyo has no issues. Everything works. I'll wait until all the bugs are fixed and Verizon provides me with the update. I'm ok with that.