Netflix on Charge

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my phone 2 days ago one rep said he had downloaded Netflix off the web and altered it to make it work, but said it's probably another few months or maybe with the next update. But reps don't know much anyway.

The 4G LG Droid which was displayed next to the Charge I bought had the Netflix app already preloaded on it.

So I can't see Samsung not giving us access to it for very long as they will lose business to other devices as people upgrade to the $G network.

It's probably a matter of them springing for the royalty fee that they have to probably pay to Netflix!

Both devices had HDMI out so Netflix app shouldn't be long.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my phone 2 days ago one rep said he had downloaded Netflix off the web and altered it to make it work, but said it's probably another few months or maybe with the next update. But reps don't know much anyway.

The 4G LG Droid which was displayed next to the Charge I bought had the Netflix app already preloaded on it.

So I can't see Samsung not giving us access to it for very long as they will lose business to other devices as people upgrade to the $G network.

It's probably a matter of them springing for the royalty fee that they have to probably pay to Netflix!

Both devices had HDMI out so Netflix app shouldn't be long.

A big part of it is having Netflix certify that the DRM works.

zman6900

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe the LG Revolution is technically a Droid. It does run Android OS but not to be considered a Droid. The brand "Droid" is reserved for top notch devices like the most recent - the Droid X2, Droid Charge, etc...

Just wanted to clear that up. :)
(mostly because I dislike LG)

hrdc69

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Until Netflix is officially supported on the Droid, there is a easy work-around. Just download the application "PlayOn" from the market and you can then have access to NEtflix, Hulu and a host of other site all for the low fee of $4.99 a month. Netflix works just fine when you access it through the PlayOn application.

zman6900

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yea, I here ya. I personally don't like the idea of having to pay extra for something I'm already paying for. I'll wait patiently for the release.

SleepyTheDon

Q&A Team
Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe the LG Revolution is technically a Droid. It does run Android OS but not to be considered a Droid. The brand "Droid" is reserved for top notch devices like the most recent - the Droid X2, Droid Charge, etc...

Just wanted to clear that up. :)
(mostly because I dislike LG)

Thats correct its not a Droid but most people i know call all android phones a droid because they dont know the difference

Reactions: zman6900

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thats correct its not a Droid but most people i know call all android phones a droid because they dont know the difference

Wow, I'm glad I chose the sammy. I almost went for the Revolution as the rep said that was their latest one and it ran Netflix.

Even the brochure I took out of the VZ bag when I got home shows only 3 4G models with the Droid Incredible 4G coming soon.

That's amazing that VZ doesn't tell you that the Revolution is not actually a Droid yet their comparison page shows all their 4G offerrings running the Droid OS.

Can you point me to an article that shows the LG version not actually being a Droid. Just incase someone asks me the difference because I know friends are going to ask me which model is better and why?

Thx to you and another poster above, pointing out to me that the LG is not actually a Droid because I almost took the LG model because it had Netflix Then I would have had to fight with VZ on a restock fee when I went and returned it for the Charge.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you point me to an article that shows the LG version not actually being a Droid. Jsut incase someone asks me the difference because I know friends are going to ask me which model is better.

The better model is the one that fits them. Droid is not inherently better than Android, it's more marketing than anything else.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you point me to an article that shows the LG version not actually being a Droid. Jsut incase someone asks me the difference because I know friends are going to ask me which model is better.

The better model is the one that fits them. Droid is not inherently better than Android, it's more marketing than anything else.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm glad I chose the sammy. I almost went for the Revolution as the rep said that was their latest one and it ran Netflix.

Even the brochure I took out of the VZ bag when I got home shows only 3 4G models with the Droid Incredible 4G coming soon.

That's amazing that VZ doesn't tell you that the Revolution is not actually a Droid yet their comparison page shows all their 4G offerrings running the Droid OS.

Can you point me to an article that shows the LG version not actually being a Droid. Just incase someone asks me the difference because I know friends are going to ask me which model is better and why?

Thx to you and another poster above, pointing out to me that the LG is not actually a Droid because I almost took the LG model because it had Netflix Then I would have had to fight with VZ on a restock fee when I went and returned it for the Charge.

You know it's not a Droid because it doesn't have that in the name. But, just so you know, the term "Droid" doesn't mean anything - it's only a name. These are all phones running a version of the Android operating system. The term "Droid" doesn't even correspond to which version of Android is on the phone. Verizon just reserves the name "Droid" for their most expensive flagship phones because they have to pay Lucasarts a royalty on each one sold to use the term "Droid".

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Its actually the sane marketing effect apple has. Slap a brand and increase the price by 2 to make a profit. Btw I hate it when people who think every android phone is called a Droid.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

ferricoxide

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

Simple: if it ain't a Motorola handset on Verizon, it ain't a Droid. "Droid" is a trademarked name owned by Lucas Films. Verizon and Motorola jointly licensed its use from Lucas Films. The "Droid" trade-name can't be used in the U.S. outside of that context (i.e., in the U.S. you can't call a cellular handset a "Droid" unless the licensors - Lucas, VZW and Motorola - allow it).

pnicho

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Simple: if it ain't a Motorola handset on Verizon, it ain't a Droid. "Droid" is a trademarked name owned by Lucas Films. Verizon and Motorola jointly licensed its use from Lucas Films. The "Droid" trade-name can't be used in the U.S. outside of that context (i.e., in the U.S. you can't call a cellular handset a "Droid" unless the licensors - Lucas, VZW and Motorola - allow it).

That's not true either. It's not just Motorola. There's the Droid Incredible 1&2 which were both HTC. And of course the Droid Charge by Samsung.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com

You know you posted to this thread in the Samsung Droid Charge forum right?

timnyc

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I am happy to hear that there is a netflix application from the droid store told to me by samsung tech.

SO it is time to open the box today and download it!

thank you for the thread,
new forum member Tim

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
someguyredeye