Can't Download from Market

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I could really use some help. I have a rooted Verizon Charge and I recently tried the "fix" posted in THIS thread. As I understand it, it modified the build.prop file. I do now have a file called build.prop.bak, although I have run the "fix" apk many times so the .bak file may not contain the "old" market?

Anyway, I can get to the market just fine, and I can see all the apps, including the ones I couldn't see before the "fix". The problem is I can't download anything from the market. When I click "install" I get a message that says:

This application has access to the following:

STORAGE
Modify or delete SD card contents

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
Full Internet Access

PHONE CALLS
Read Phone State

SYSTEM TOOLS
Prevent Phone From Sleeping

When I say ok that screen disappears it then shows a status bar and says "starting download", that shows for about 1 second and then I am right back to my list of "downloads".

It gives me that same list of permissions regardless of what app I try to install, which I don't recall being the case with the last market.

I only have a couple of file exploring apps installed, ES File explorer and My files. Several suggestions have revolved around different file utilities but since I can't install anything from the market, I seem kinda stuck.

I'm a total noob so please excuse my ignorance but I did search for an answer before posting this.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Joe

Last edited:

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
I had some similar issues where I couldn't download and then it would freeze trying to open.

I went into Settings>Apps>Manage Apps>Market then I cleared the cache and data. I then did a battery pull and reset the phone. After the reboot the market was working fine. Hopefully this works for you, sometimes the best fix is the easiest!

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I had some similar issues where I couldn't download and then it would freeze trying to open.

I went into Settings>Apps>Manage Apps>Market then I cleared the cache and data. I then did a battery pull and reset the phone. After the reboot the market was working fine. Hopefully this works for you, sometimes the best fix is the easiest!

Well, maybe this is a clue that can help....at Settings>Apps>Manages Apps I don't have Market. I have "market fixer" which is the fix I ran but no market. When I look at the "regular" applications list it has both "Market & Market Fixer" listed but in the Manage Apps area not the case.....

Joe

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, maybe this is a clue that can help....at Settings>Apps>Manages Apps I don't have Market. I have "market fixer" which is the fix I ran but no market. When I look at the "regular" applications list it has both "Market & Market Fixer" listed but in the Manage Apps area not the case.....

Joe
Just double checking, but you're looking at the "All" category and not the default third-party one, correct? i assume so. Sounds like you've got an issue there and need to get a new copy of the market app. Then you can use Root Explorer to copy it in to /system/apps.

Can someone grab that .apk file for him?

Alternately, you could just flash a new ROM. I'm trying to remember which one you have loaded, but what I'd recommend is to follow the last part of the instructions here and load up GummyCHARGED 1.75. This will load all new system .apk files.

Reactions: junksecret

brpost

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I've not been able to download today, either. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with disabling lagfix, which I did yesterday. Everything else seems ok, but I can't download or update from the Market.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
Just double checking, but you're looking at the "All" category and not the default third-party one, correct? i assume so. Sounds like you've got an issue there and need to get a new copy of the market app. Then you can use Root Explorer to copy it in to /system/apps.

Can someone grab that .apk file for him?

Alternately, you could just flash a new ROM. I'm trying to remember which one you have loaded, but what I'd recommend is to follow the last part of the instructions here and load up GummyCHARGED 1.75. This will load all new system .apk files.

I'm going with chad on this one. I would reboot to CWM and clear the cache/data and load GummyCharged 1.75 and start off fresh. This should fix your problems and give you the most up to date EE4 ROM to boot! Otherwise, I'd ask one of the dev's to pull a fresh market .apk for you. I would, but I'm out of town for the weekend.

Good luck Joe, I hope this will solve your problems.

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna give the gummy route a try, thanks a lot guys....I'll report the results. I hope to have time this weekend to attack this. Do you think that the gummy/pb&j route is better than the CWM/Voodoo/AB route?

Joe

Last edited:

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
I'm gonna give the gummy route a try, thanks a lot guys....I'll report the results. I hope to have time this weekend to attack this. Do you think that the gummy/pb&j route is better than the CWM/Voodoo/AB route?

Joe

Both are fantastic options, but until DroidXcon releases his EE4 AB, I would stick with the 1.75 release of Gummy Charge and PB&J. I'm not biased either way, both are great ROM's and I only ran AB on EE2 and switched to Gummy for EE4.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's my understanding the 'no download' issue has been fixed...at least on the part of Verizon/Android/Whoever. I've seen many people post that they are no longer having that issue. I had that problem with my unrooted Charge and it cleared up yesterday with no intervention by me.

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, I ended up doing a fresh EE2 AB/Voodoo/CWM install and all is well. For the time being I changed all the instances of EE2 to EE4 in the build.prop file so it's not constantly trying to push it OTA.

I expect DroidXcon et al will have a flash for the EE4 pretty soon and I will reflash then.

Thanks again to all, this is a great group of people.

Joe

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm