1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Default Best way to close programs like the Browser?

I'm trying to get in the habit of closing programs like the browser when I'm done with it so I don't leave it running in the back ground and running the battery down any more than I have to.

What's the faster way to close the browser? I'm using Google as my home page when browser opens.

But to close an open web page like NY Post.com I seem to have to hold down the home key, which opens to task manager, then click on task manager icon and click on "browser exit or exit all".

Seems to me that when you have the browser open you should be able to press menu and one of the choices should be "exit browser".

Unless there is another method to close the browser (besides power off) I'd hate to have a data plan that "was not" unlimited with this device.

Any tips?
    Samsung Droid Charge on VZ

I use Dolphin browser which tends to suck a lot of juice. If you hold the Home key and click task manager, you can close out running apps like the browser.

ROM
    Altered Beast V4

You should get in the habit of hitting the back key. So you get used to logging out of programs vs letting them run in the background. Or you can hold home down like the above post

ROM
    EE4/Gummy 1.75/PBJ

I always prefer to just give the back key a couple clicks after every app I've opened. It's just something you learn once switching to android and will become second nature in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by mboverst View Post
    I always prefer to just give the back key a couple clicks after every app I've opened. It's just something you learn once switching to android and will become second nature in no time.
    Does anyone know if the iPhone functions the same way as far as exiting apps? If you're in an app and hit the home button, does it exit the app or is the app still running in the background?

I have read you should back out, not use the home key so as to exit programs. This for Android. Don't know about iPhone.

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4 Rooted

Wouldn't it be a little ridiculous to exit the browser by hitting the back button? I mean, you'd have to go back through every page you've visited since you started the browser session... o.o
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by winnersmw View Post
    Wouldn't it be a little ridiculous to exit the browser by hitting the back button? I mean, you'd have to go back through every page you've visited since you started the browser session... o.o
    This is true!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Thx for those replies.
    By the way, I was talking to a Vz support rep today on an issue using mobile hotspot.
    I asked him the best way to exit the browser because when I was using Blackberry with a limited data plan I got hit with an over data $300 bill one month because the browser was running open in the background without me knowing it.
    Vz was nice enough to back date my plan that month to unlimited so I had no over data charges..

Now that I see Vz moving towards tiered and capped data plans I wanted to be sure that I shut off any browser related apps.

He said the Droid OS doesn't work like the BB's in that respect. Once you leave the browser like when using the back space button, it puts the browser into limbo (it's still open but does not continually update web pages (sending packets back and forth).

He said Droid operates this way so you can recall a browser page instantly. Of course one can always hold down the home key and open tasks then exit all or just certain programs that are still running.

Interesting comment from the above poster too, in that if you are deep into various links in the browser you would have to continually keep pressing back space until you could switch out of the browser (but it's still open (but not running) in the background. Like the times you might be on page 3 of a thread here. You would have to back space back through pages 1 and 2 before you are out.

I was just wondering if there was a short cut to closing out of the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by expidia View Post
    I was just wondering if there was a short cut to closing out of the browser.
    Click the settings button then "exit".

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

He said the Droid OS doesn't work like the BB's in that respect. Once you leave the browser like when using the back space button, it puts the browser into limbo (it's still open but does not continually update web pages (sending packets back and forth).
    Rep is correct, just hit the home button and your out and its held in suspension. only apps that run in the background are media or scanning apps like taskkiller(blah)....otherwise you can use settings exit like above poster said or use the samsung task manager. If you are concerned about background data running. go to setting>accounts and sync> uncheck background data, this will stop polling of widgets and emails and anything else collecting data in the background. when you open the email app it will manually update.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    Click the settings button then "exit".
    I don't see access to a "settings" button while in the browser.

If you mean hold down the Home button, then press Task Manager, then Exit . . . I think we've already established that method as the best way to exit other than using back space (which leaves browser in an open, but not running state).
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Rep is correct, just hit the home button and your out and its held in suspension. only apps that run in the background are media or scanning apps like taskkiller(blah)....otherwise you can use settings exit like above poster said or use the samsung task manager. If you are concerned about background data running. go to setting>accounts and sync> uncheck background data, this will stop polling of widgets and emails and anything else collecting data in the background. when you open the email app it will manually update.
    Thx DroidXcon. I don't mind the other stuff running as long as they don't excessively drain the battery.
    I was mostly concerned with the browser continually updating web pages like news sites. As long as I know when I press the back space it goes into suspension I'm good!

ROM
    Zedomax OC 1.6 Ghz

Don't kill tasks with a task manager, Android is Linux based so it frees up RAM when needed. It takes just as much power to hold information you may use as it does to hold nothing, and by clearing that information your CPU actually uses more cycles filling it back up with information. Your best bet is to allow android to do it's thing and not mess with anything.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I'm trying to get in the habit of closing programs like the browser when I'm done with it so I don't leave it running in the back ground and running the battery down any more than I have to.

What's the faster way to close the browser? I'm using Google as my home page when browser opens.

But to close an open web page like NY Post.com I seem to have to hold down the home key, which opens to task manager, then click on task manager icon and click on "browser exit or exit all".

Seems to me that when you have the browser open you should be able to press menu and one of the choices should be "exit browser".

Unless there is another method to close the browser (besides power off) I'd hate to have a data plan that "was not" unlimited with this device.

Any tips?
    Hold down the home button until your 6 most recent apps appear and below it should say task manager. Click on that, and you will see a list of open apps. To close a single one, say browser, click the exit next to it rand to close all, click exit all.

Sent from my DROID Charge

I am using the Dolphin Browser too.
    When exit, just press the menu button, and press exit.

You can also close some of the browser windows by clicking menu/windows while in a browser.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Re: Best way to close programs like the Browser?

I have an EVO 3D and when I hold down HOME , I get "Recent" icons of places I've been...like calandar, people, internet, mail etc....not Task Manager?
    Is there another way to get to Task Manager to shut down the browser?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

You might do better to ask over there, for the Charge (and I am guessing TouchWiz in gereral) is to hold the home key

If you use DolphinHD all you have to do is close all the tabs by clicking the lil x on em then hit the back arrow once and it will ask if you would like to exit the browser and offer to clear history and other goodies. this stops the 100 back click issue. I never used stock browser so I cant help you there.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I hit the menu button then click Windows. I close any windows that are open. That will then by default load up my homepage. When I click the back button at that point, it will exit the browser and it will not be running in the background. I found this to be the easiest and most effective way to close the program without killing it every time. I do notice that it doesn't always work - but often it will with no problems.

This is true!
    Aaah, the simplicity of WebOS. Flick up and the browser and (any app) is closed. None of this back, back, back,back stuff....