Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 RC2

Default Data Connection Problem

My phone will show that I have a data connection, but when I use anything that requires data I get a pop up that says I have no data connection and then the data icon will disappear. It happens whenever the phone is idle for an extended amount of time or when I have have the data toggled off your a bit. In most cases I can switch in and out of airplane mode to fix but I have had to reboot a few times when airplane mode didn't work. Is this common out do I just have a flaky phone?

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Mine does it too...the stock charge sucks bad and I still can't believe I paid 300 for it

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2183 View Post
    My phone will show that I have a data connection, but when I use anything that requires data I get a pop up that says I have no data connection and then the data icon will disappear. It happens whenever the phone is idle for an extended amount of time or when I have have the data toggled off your a bit. In most cases I can switch in and out of airplane mode to fix but I have had to reboot a few times when airplane mode didn't work. Is this common out do I just have a flaky phone?
    What I have noticed is the data connection is there but as soon as I open a browser or email it disappears. Sometimes it comes back quickly. If it doesn't airplane will sometimes work, if not a reboot is needed. Also the reboot seems to speed up the phone. Is there a battery pull app for the phone like my BB had?

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock w/ Root

This is a network issue, not a charge issue. I had this problem on my Thunderbolt as well, just a lot more often. I just learned to deal with it which SUCKS.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Has anybody figured out a fix for this?

Posted via Tapatalk app for Android & iPhone devices

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

After searching google it looks like people are bringing their handsets into vzw and having them reactivate them...supposedly this is the fix...

Posted via Tapatalk app for Android & iPhone

Default Re: Data Connection Problem

its a glitch

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Found what might be a solution...seems to be working for now...

Go into settings>wifi settings>advanced>wifi sleep policy>when screen turns off

So far 3g is solid without dropping out...haven't tried 4g yet it won't work in my home because I'm in an "extended 4g" area

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Guess that didn't work

Posted via Tapatalk app for Android and iPhone
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by zeus_r6 View Post
    Found what might be a solution...seems to be working for now...

Go into settings>wifi settings>advanced>wifi sleep policy>when screen turns off

So far 3g is solid without dropping out...haven't tried 4g yet it won't work in my home because I'm in an "extended 4g" area

I do not understand how this would work. I made the change and so far the 3G signal seems steady. It would seem like this setting would also save the battery since WIFI would go to sleep whenever the screen turns off.

THX

I just notice this on my phone as well. Even though that im in a solid 3g area i will get a "no network available" message. I have been doing battery pulls to get 3g back up again, but this is starting to get extremely annoying. Also not sure but I really started to notice it after i installed "Juice Defender" app. I have disabled it today and will see how things go.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by neemo6 View Post
    I just notice this on my phone as well. Even though that im in a solid 3g area i will get a "no network available" message. I have been doing battery pulls to get 3g back up again, but this is starting to get extremely annoying. Also not sure but I really started to notice it after i installed "Juice Defender" app. I have disabled it today and will see how things go.
    Juice defender is known to cause connection problems.

If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

I don't have juice defender and I'm getting the 'data connectivity' more and more frequently on my Charge. Just today I had 3 instances of no data. It's totally absurd. To see a solid 3G signal (even though you are allegedly, according to the phony VZW 4G maps, in a 4G area), and get no data for several minutes at a time is just insane. Oh, and try to get tech support on this issue from VZW on their website forum! HA! VZW stays away from any of the threads that discusses connectivity issues (and there are many). They're quick to join threads on issues like 'how to raise the volume on my phone' or 'where is the power switch', but data connectivity? Hello? Can you hear me now?

The 4G network on VZW is a total joke and I'd never recommend it at this stage to my worst enemy. If it's a function of the phones, then VZW should not be offering these phones.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    It would seem like this setting would also save the battery since WIFI would go to sleep whenever the screen turns off.
    Actually, when the phone's data source switches to wifi the phone disables data on the network radio, so it'd save more battery to run off of wifi whenever it's available (especially if you're in a 4G area).

Also, is everyone having this problem while on the 4G network alone? Or are people having it with 3G too? I don't live in a 4G area but I am getting my Charge soon and would definitely like to know if I should be prepared to head back to VZW when issues arrive >.<

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

The problem happens to me in 3g or 4g

As of yesterday and disabling juice defender have not had any issues as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by winnersmw View Post
    Also, is everyone having this problem while on the 4G network alone? Or are people having it with 3G too? I don't live in a 4G area but I am getting my Charge soon and would definitely like to know if I should be prepared to head back to VZW when issues arrive >.<
    4G & 3G. The problem seems to be either the 4G phones and how they recognize the 4G & 3G signals, a less sensitive radio (which one owner said VZW acknowledged in a tech support call...if true there is ZERO hope for any resolution), the 4G network and how it communicates to these phones or a combination of all of the above.

Either way it's a really lousy situation for the buyers that bought in to 4G thinking they were getting a faster network. Yeah, it's faster WHEN you have a solid 4G signal, but nobody ever mentioned the many periods when you have ZERO data. That's a very very poor tradeoff. I'd rather have a solid 3G data connection all the time rather than a fast 4G sometimes, 3G sometimes and NO data sometimes.

On another note, I was getting some quirky behavior over the last several days with the Charge. I deleted Go Launcher and all of that quirkiness is gone. GL worked fine for awhile, but it seems to have had an adverse effect over time. If anything the Charge is faster now. Go figure.

i been having these netweork issues tooo, since i gotten VZ, I was an ATT iphone guy and I think that the 4G service from verizon is a JOKE!!!

ALL 4G PHONES CANNOT MULTITASK~~ MEANING BE ON THE PHONE AND SEARCH THE INTERNET AT THE SAME TIME, OR BE ON THE PHONE AND ACCEPT TEXT.

If you do not have a SOLID 4G connection it wont work, the TB has 2 Radios or antennas for this and can actually work at times.... Im thinking about going back to the TB, as this Charge has a lot of Flaws in my book

Day 2 since removing juice defender and have not had any issues since.

I've had the charge since yesterday.

Today, I have simultaneous 3G icon AND WiFi icons, for almost a minute before 3G goes away, only to come back again.....both of them.

WiFi is on, I'm at work where I only use WiFi with my phone.

How can this be? How can I be pulling data from both simultaneously?

I dont use Juice Defender and have these network issues, i am forced to go onto CDMA as LTE which was rock solid for 2 weeks is now non existent!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I don't use juice defender either...the part that sucks is downloads stall out then never restart because of this network crap. I never had these issues with my incredible

Add me to the list of those with connection problems. Just this morning it has lost connection four times. I am in a 4G coverage area, although in my office it switches from 3G to 4G often.

The connection issue is really annoying.

Per a Verizon rep I spoke with I got the generic "they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix" response
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast