How do you get voice commands in messages etc.?

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I've watched the video, but how do I direct voice commands and have the command go first into the to: and then the message into the: body.

Same thing happens to me for trying to voice command text messages too!

New york has really toughened up the hands free laws for using "any" device while driving. I never used voice on my BB's but I need to try and get used to it now.

Thx

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Bump. update. . . no responses in this forum hmmm
So I Goog'ld for the same question and was pointed to another thread which asked the exact same question in another Droid forum:
Create text messages from voice? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

This was asked back in 2009 and several responses said: Handcent

I looked in Marketplace and it's there as "Handcent SMS". Installed it and so far it works great when you don't want to type out a response to a messaging text. Especially while driving.

Check it out it's a free download. I've placed the Handsent icon right above the green messaging icon on my Charge's desktop. When in a text message within Handcent, just press the menu (bottom left on charge) and press the mic icon.
Opens up a nice screen too with the text message displayed even though your Charge is locked.

So far, it looks to be just what I was looking for to convert voice text into a message. Has not missed a letter yet, on converting my verbally spoken words!

I'm amazed that there seems to be no resident program to do the same on the Charge. There is a program in the Market place that's called Voice Text and there are others but they are paid programs. I hate to pay and then find out the program is poor. The reviews were not that great for Voice Text. And Google Voice seems to need you to create a Google phone number, Handcent seems a lot simpler.

Last edited:

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You can say "send text to (name)" and then hit the mic button again and then record your message.
Tried that before I went on a search for a decent voice to text app.

The resident voice search app in the Charge is awful in my opinion. It's very inaccurate hit and miss.

Handcent has been great so far.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have found the speech to text option is very accurate you may want to try speaking at different distances to see if it improves.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have found the speech to text option is very accurate you may want to try speaking at different distances to see if it improves.

Ya but it doesn't place the to: correctly all the time and same for the body of the message. Which is really annoying (and dangerous) while driving. I'm more concerned with messaging than emailing

I've asked about the resident voice program before with no responses, so finding Handcent was great as it's been extremely accurrate so far. Has other options too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781