Display Draining Battery

mjbigelow

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I've read a few reviews that rave about the Charge's battery life. Some of these show the display taking 49% of battery power and even less than 15%. I've never seen mine below 71% and usually a little higher.

I have my display set for auto-adjust and I can't figure out why the battery usage is so high.

Would really appreciate some help. I'm still in the 14-day window, so I can return if I need to.

Thanks!

barnabyh

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I have found that using auto adjust drains the battery more than just setting it low until you need it brighter, like when you are outside. I am guessing that maybe using the sensor to adjust the brightness drains the battery more? Don't know.

rmanaka

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Turn off auto display brightness and when you want to turn it up or down hold your fingertip on the notification bar just until it drops down. Slide left to turn down, slide right to turn up. Alternatively hold your fingertip on the bar approximately where you want to set the brightness level... On the left side for dim, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

mjbigelow

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Excellent suggestions, thanks! On the lowest setting, however, I got to 67% of battery consumption by the display.

I just did a restart and now I'm at 35%. We'll see how long that holds. It still seems to be draining pretty quickly.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm always at 60%+... if I'm not streaming, I'm very likey to be in the high 70%s...

If I'm not streaming, I can get a full day without much issue. If I stream music on 4G... well, that's another story.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Consider that a low number, mine is always above 80%. That may be because most of my time is spent texting and playing offline games, though.

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
What percentage of battery drain is showing for the display is really meaningless. It just depends on what you are doing. If you shut down everything and just leave your display on, it will be over 90%, but that has nothing to do with battery life, that just shows how much of the battery drain is happening because of your display, versus apps or other battery drains.

Reactions: NHLou

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Turn off auto display brightness and when you want to turn it up or down hold your fingertip on the notification bar just until it drops down. Slide left to turn down, slide right to turn up. Alternatively hold your fingertip on the bar approximately where you want to set the brightness level... On the left side for dim, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Ya, nice tip on the sliding your finger on the notification bar left ot right. That's sure easier than screwing around tapping several times on the power widget. First time I've seen that tip mentioned to control screen brightness.

Reactions: Gulbane

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Apparently people knew about this issue long before it hit the smart phone market. Google Latitude: Will it Kill your Phone?s Battery? — Mobile Technology News

So turn off Google Location Services or at least make sure Latitude is not running. If you don?t want to do that, at minimum, remove any widgets that use location services like weather or ?Rate this place?.

Nexus S Battery Drain: Google Maps - Google Mobile Help

Google services drains battery at 38% on Nexus One? - Google Mobile Help

I?ve had my Droid Charge for about 2 months now and personally, I was averaging 11-12 hours of basic use which I thought was good. Yesterday I turned off my Google Location Services for the first time. Took the unit off the charger at 6:30pm yesterday and I?m now looking at 21% of battery left after 22hrs. Additionally, I never have VZW location on and only use GPS occasionally in the car. I also turned off Background Data in Sync but may switch those back on after this test to see what affect it really has. Running it dry tonight to see how far it will go

I use ?My Profiles Lite? to have one touch controls for Home, Car, Work & Night modes. Works great. If you try other apps that do this automatically, catch22, they require location services to sense where you are.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007