Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Display Draining Battery

I've read a few reviews that rave about the Charge's battery life. Some of these show the display taking 49% of battery power and even less than 15%. I've never seen mine below 71% and usually a little higher.

I have my display set for auto-adjust and I can't figure out why the battery usage is so high.

Would really appreciate some help. I'm still in the 14-day window, so I can return if I need to.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Re: Display Draining Battery

I have found that using auto adjust drains the battery more than just setting it low until you need it brighter, like when you are outside. I am guessing that maybe using the sensor to adjust the brightness drains the battery more? Don't know.

Turn off auto display brightness and when you want to turn it up or down hold your fingertip on the notification bar just until it drops down. Slide left to turn down, slide right to turn up. Alternatively hold your fingertip on the bar approximately where you want to set the brightness level... On the left side for dim, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 3:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Excellent suggestions, thanks! On the lowest setting, however, I got to 67% of battery consumption by the display.

I just did a restart and now I'm at 35%. We'll see how long that holds. It still seems to be draining pretty quickly.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm back up to 63%. Not sure why. Any ideas? Thanks!

ROM
    Altered Beast V4

Quote Originally Posted by mjbigelow View Post
    I'm back up to 63%. Not sure why. Any ideas? Thanks!
    The screen will always consume the most power. No matter what. Im at 12Hours 50% battery and 67% screen use. That is the norm. Don't worry about it.
    Last edited by rescueswimmer; 06-28-2011 at 12:51 PM.

I'm always at 60%+... if I'm not streaming, I'm very likey to be in the high 70%s...

If I'm not streaming, I can get a full day without much issue. If I stream music on 4G... well, that's another story.

ROM
    GummyCHARGED FE 2.0

Consider that a low number, mine is always above 80%. That may be because most of my time is spent texting and playing offline games, though.

What percentage of battery drain is showing for the display is really meaningless. It just depends on what you are doing. If you shut down everything and just leave your display on, it will be over 90%, but that has nothing to do with battery life, that just shows how much of the battery drain is happening because of your display, versus apps or other battery drains.
    Thanked by:
    NHLou 

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rmanaka View Post
    Turn off auto display brightness and when you want to turn it up or down hold your fingertip on the notification bar just until it drops down. Slide left to turn down, slide right to turn up. Alternatively hold your fingertip on the bar approximately where you want to set the brightness level... On the left side for dim, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Ya, nice tip on the sliding your finger on the notification bar left ot right. That's sure easier than screwing around tapping several times on the power widget. First time I've seen that tip mentioned to control screen brightness.
    Samsung Droid Charge on VZ
    Thanked by:

Apparently people knew about this issue long before it hit the smart phone market. Google Latitude: Will it Kill your Phones Battery? — Mobile Technology News

So turn off Google Location Services or at least make sure Latitude is not running. If you dont want to do that, at minimum, remove any widgets that use location services like weather or Rate this place.

Nexus S Battery Drain: Google Maps - Google Mobile Help

Google services drains battery at 38% on Nexus One? - Google Mobile Help

Ive had my Droid Charge for about 2 months now and personally, I was averaging 11-12 hours of basic use which I thought was good. Yesterday I turned off my Google Location Services for the first time. Took the unit off the charger at 6:30pm yesterday and Im now looking at 21% of battery left after 22hrs. Additionally, I never have VZW location on and only use GPS occasionally in the car. I also turned off Background Data in Sync but may switch those back on after this test to see what affect it really has. Running it dry tonight to see how far it will go

I use My Profiles Lite to have one touch controls for Home, Car, Work & Night modes. Works great. If you try other apps that do this automatically, catch22, they require location services to sense where you are.
    Last edited by rbess1965; 07-13-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I have mine set a 33% brightness and auto.

here are my stats see attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Display Draining Battery-sc20110719-150526.jpg   Display Draining Battery-sc20110719-150540.jpg