A clue to the 'no data' issue?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This should be for VZW tech support to take note: The pattern I've noticed, is that when I get the dreaded 'no data connectivity' box popping up, my signal strength can be strong but yet I show no signal type by the signal bars (3G, 4G, 1X). Until a signal type shows up, I can never get data regardless of how many bars I've got. This pattern seems to repeat every time I can't get data. This seems to happen in either solid 3G areas or mixed 3G $ 4G areas.

Anyone else notice this?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This should be for VZW tech support to take note: The pattern I've noticed, is that when I get the dreaded 'no data connectivity' box popping up, my signal strength can be strong but yet I show no signal type by the signal bars (3G, 4G, 1X). Until a signal type shows up, I can never get data regardless of how many bars I've got. This pattern seems to repeat every time I can't get data. This seems to happen in either solid 3G areas or mixed 3G $ 4G areas.

Anyone else notice this?

I concur, that's what I have noticed.

WarrenK

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a ticket open and think it is still open to see why my phone was dropping data in strong 4G areas, a replacement phone later, still no 4G!
Asked if they would replace my Sim card(was not replaced in troubleshooting) it solved my data issues and i was able to get LTE again

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have been to Verizon several; times, including them replacing the SIM card, which seemed to help BRIEFLY, now same as always. I am hoping they will push an update that will fix it.

yankees368

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This has nothing to do with Juice Defender. I don't have that app and see this issue as well. It is caused by the phone constantly switching back between a half-assed LTE network and EVDO (or 1x). When the phone drops LTE, it needs to reestablish the connection to CDMA/EVDO for data, and this sometimes takes a little while. With LTE in the 700mhz band, there is no excuse to be dropping LTE this often. The only reason it could be like that is because not all towers in a market have LTE right now, so you constantly lose it. At least that is my case.

AirSushi

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. There is also a forum up at XDA that pertains to the same thing:
[Q] Droid Charge 4g - 3g Signal - xda-developers

I have looked and it seems that this is not an isolated incident. I would also concur that Juice Defender is not the issue as I do not have it installed on my phone.

The Droid Charge has an issue with poor 4g/3g reception and/or switching. Both my home and work locations are well within the 4g network coverage map. My Charge will routinely show a 4g signal until a network load is placed on it (such as speedtest.net, market downloads, etc) which then drops it to 3g or 1x.

I have two co-workers that sit near me who own HTC Thunderbolts. They do not have any issues with 4g coverage and do NOT drop to 3g/1x.

I am worried that this might be hardware such as the GPS hardware that was in the Samsung Galaxy phones.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am on vacation and in a 3g only. My data signal has been rock solid. At home I have the data signal problem as mentioned here. This may indicate network issues. Btw it has been in lte auto mode. Have switched it to cdma only to see if I get different results

AirSushi

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am on vacation and in a 3g only. My data signal has been rock solid. At home I have the data signal problem as mentioned here. This may indicate network issues. Btw it has been in lte auto mode. Have switched it to cdma only to see if I get different results

It would be nice if it were a 'network' issue as that could be resolved fairly quickly on Verizon's end. I doubt that is the case though because the 2 HTC Thunderbolts in my same office have not experienced the same 4g/3g/1x issues. They have been solid on 4g throughout this issue.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue early on, but it seems to have gone away. It was bad on ED1 and with Juice Defender. Uninstalling JD helped a little, as it wasn't having to re-sync as often, but it didn't seem to be the cause. Anyway, that issue went away entirely with the EE4 update and everything was strong and reliable. It seemed to return when I flashed the 2.3.3 leak with EG2 basebands, though not as bad as ED1. Now that I'm on 2.3.4 with the EP1F radio, its just as reliable as EE4, though the signal isn't quite as strong at times. But that's only occasionally true, and doesn't affect data speeds much.

My guess is that it has to do with various baseband radio software not accurately reflecting the network in every area. Many of us had the problem with the poor ED1 software, and many saw an improvement with EE4, yet some did not. This leads me to believe that a future radio update will correct the issue for many who are still having problems. Verizon plans to bring a huge amount of new LTE markets online on the 21st, and since we already have a stable GB leak, I would expect we'll see the GB OTA with a newer radio (beyond EP1F) that will reflect the more widespread network in a week or two.

Please note that I have absolutely no inside info, I just have leaked GB and it works fine, and the July 21st date is from their Twitter feed. Anything regarding the OTA release is my speculation, but its just what makes sense to me.

Raring

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Anyone else notice this?

Absolutely.

And it clearly isn't Juice Defender since some of us don't even have that app.

Phone seems rather sensitive to the way I hold it for data reception, but that is probably just my perception since the data kicks out so often anyway. Really kills the battery. I'll take it out of my pocket and I'll have 3 bars for phone reception but no data and the phone is very warm.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Not sure how it could be a network issue when other 4G phones as well as 3G phones have no trouble with data in the exact same areas at the exact same time. The fact that the radio in the Charge is less sensitive would appear to be a far more logical conclusion given the clues. I can be right next to my wife's VZW Iphone and she gets data and I get 'no data connectivity' for minutes on end.

Nope, something is wrong with the hardware IMO and as Raring noted, it has absolutely nothing to do with Juice Defender...never even heard of that software. When is the Bionic coming out?

Last edited:

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how it could be a network issue when other 4G phones as well as 3G phones have no trouble with data in the exact same areas at the exact same time. The fact that the radio in the Charge is less sensitive would appear to be a far more logical conclusion given the clues. I can be right next to my wife's VZW Iphone and she gets data and I get 'no data connectivity' for minutes on end.

Nope, something is wrong with the hardware IMO and as Raring noted, it has absolutely nothing to do with Juice Defender...never even heard of that software. When is the Bionic coming out?

Yeah, who knows what causes it. My old BB 9650 had the exact same problem in my home. When I would go out of town it worked great. Maybe I need to get my next phone out of town to see if it works in my home town.:D

AirSushi

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue early on, but it seems to have gone away. It was bad on ED1 and with Juice Defender. Uninstalling JD helped a little, as it wasn't having to re-sync as often, but it didn't seem to be the cause. Anyway, that issue went away entirely with the EE4 update and everything was strong and reliable. It seemed to return when I flashed the 2.3.3 leak with EG2 basebands, though not as bad as ED1. Now that I'm on 2.3.4 with the EP1F radio, its just as reliable as EE4, though the signal isn't quite as strong at times. But that's only occasionally true, and doesn't affect data speeds much.

My guess is that it has to do with various baseband radio software not accurately reflecting the network in every area. Many of us had the problem with the poor ED1 software, and many saw an improvement with EE4, yet some did not. This leads me to believe that a future radio update will correct the issue for many who are still having problems. Verizon plans to bring a huge amount of new LTE markets online on the 21st, and since we already have a stable GB leak, I would expect we'll see the GB OTA with a newer radio (beyond EP1F) that will reflect the more widespread network in a week or two.

Please note that I have absolutely no inside info, I just have leaked GB and it works fine, and the July 21st date is from their Twitter feed. Anything regarding the OTA release is my speculation, but its just what makes sense to me.

Just to clarify:

When Verizon 'turns on LTE or enhances it's network' does an update need to be sent to the LTE phones similar to pressing *228 option & #2 to update roaming capabilities on the 3g network?
Or are you saying this just happens to coincide with the upcoming (hopefully soon) release of Gingerbread?

When I first purchased the phone I attempted to *228 #2 before I found out you were not supposed to.