1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about the charge and MMS

Well I was hoping to hold out for the Bionic but couldn't wait since I needed to get a smartphone now to lock in unlimited. Loving the charge and everything it can do (upgraded from a Rogue).

The only thing I'm not understanding is when I get a long text where I have to click more... the phone receives it as an MMS and only lets me view it for 5 seconds then goes blank. It will have a 5 second timer at the bottom of the screen and if i hit pause it just causes the screen to go blank. So its really frustrating to try to read.

It also gives me the timer for picture messages too but at least those I can pause if I need too. So is there an option I need to change, or is the person sending them to me sending them wrong? My wife texts me a ton when I am at work so any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Question about the charge and MMS

hmm ...I have never experienced this issue...but I also didn't use the native messaging app for that long...you could try handcent SMS as a replacement for the native messaging app and see if that helps out with your problem

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

I would say it's the phone sending the sms messages. I get long messages all the time and never have a time limit, nor do they come in as mms. You can also try google talk or google + as alternatives. Assuming your wife has an android phone as well

I has the problem of pictures being displayed as video. My biggest hassle with that was I couldnt zoom. I blamed the stock messaging app, since it knew the attachment was a jpg when I selected to save it, but somehow didnt know that when it was displaying.

I would strongly suggest getting Handcent from the marketplace and using that for sms/mms in the future. I heard talk that gingerbread would have fixes for this, but Handcent is free and basic operation takes no setup, so you have nothing to lose by trying it out and having working messaging in about 10 minutes.

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangpanther View Post
    I has the problem of pictures being displayed as video. My biggest hassle with that was I couldnt zoom. I blamed the stock messaging app, since it knew the attachment was a jpg when I selected to save it, but somehow didnt know that when it was displaying.

I would strongly suggest getting Handcent from the marketplace and using that for sms/mms in the future. I heard talk that gingerbread would have fixes for this, but Handcent is free and basic operation takes no setup, so you have nothing to lose by trying it out and having working messaging in about 10 minutes.
    I installed Handcent a few days ago for it's ability to allow me to use voice to text when I reply to an SMS text but . . .

Is there a way to shut off the resident SMS program? Now I get two alerts when someone sends me a text which is annoying because I have to click on each.
    Thx
    Samsung Droid Charge on VZ

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by expidia View Post
    I installed Handcent a few days ago for it's ability to allow me to use voice to text when I reply to an SMS text but . . .

Is there a way to shut off the resident SMS program? Now I get two alerts when someone sends me a text which is annoying because I have to click on each.
    Thx
    yes, open the original message app. push menu and uncheck notification

Thx
    Yes. you need to open the original Messaging app (if you have deleted it from your home screen, you can find it in the Applications section). Once it is open, hit the Menu button, then Settings. Scroll down to the Notification setting and unselect it.

You will then get a notification from Handcent with each incoming SMS/MMS and not the Messaging app.

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4 Rooted

Does anybody know why the native client displays picture messages as videos? That's like... ridiculously moronic -.-

P.S, lol. The word "ret@rded" is filtered on Android Central. Really? *shakes head* xD

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mc21 View Post
    yes, open the original message app. push menu and uncheck notification
    Thx, I had already done that. Actually it's sending the same "text" to both apps (I didn't mean the notification sound). So do I need to actually delete the resident message app?

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangpanther View Post
    Yes. you need to open the original Messaging app (if you have deleted it from your home screen, you can find it in the Applications section). Once it is open, hit the Menu button, then Settings. Scroll down to the Notification setting and unselect it.

You will then get a notification from Handcent with each incoming SMS/MMS and not the Messaging app.
    Can I delete the resident message app? I did see a thread where you can remove the green soft key which I already replaced with the Hancent icon.
    droid charge messaging
    Last edited by expidia; 07-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Can I delete the resident message app? I did see a thread where you can remove the green soft key which I already replaced with the Hancent icon.
    droid charge messaging
    You can take Messaging off your home screen(s) but you cant uninstall base apps with a non-rooted phone. My Messaging is on page under Applications so I dont even notice it there.

I also heard that Handcent makes use of the Messaging app for some of its functionality, so you may lose that if you managed to delete it. This is second hand info though, so no guarantee its right.
    Thanked by:

Here's a question about Handcent.
    I just installed it, tweaked as many tweaks as I could tweak, but can't find the answer to this problem: is there any way to have Handcent project a lock screen puzzle piece when I have incoming texts? I miss that feature of the stock SMS already.