Chances of a STABLE AOSP ROM?

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Thunderbolt, I have an upgrade available. I like AOSP ROMs. GB is a bit long in the tooth, and none of the current ICS ROMs are stable (major radio issues, 'white screen' on apps). I want a ~5" multiprocessor phone.

My options are:
- SGS3 - both AOKP & CM10 appear quite usable as daily drivers. Sprint JB update means even more stable VZW JB ROMs.
- Wait for HTC DLX - hires screen and quad-core, but performance unknown at this time
- (Razr HD is out because of bootloader, and SGS3 trumps it anyways, in my opinion)

I was planning to get the SGS3 through Costco. Because I'm in CA, tax kills getting it from anywhere else. Plus, I have 90 days to exchange for a new phone, which would be the DLX if the bootloader gets unlocked and good ROMs come out.

However, Worst Buy has a sale tomorrow - VZW SGS3 for $100 (+ tax). This would be ~$50 less than the total Costo price. If the DLX has a good chance at getting a GOOD AOSP JB ROM, I'll swallow that $50 for the chance at a possible upgrade to the DLX.

Any thoughts?

MG386

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 4 might not be available for verizon, although I hope I'm wrong. I'm using CM10 on my S3 and it is nearly perfect. I was thinking about nexus, but all the rumors so far it looks like no LTE for the initial nexus4. if possible I'd wait till at least monday so we will have more info on nexi...

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Nexus - the S4 Pro is an upgrade, but the SGS3 trumps it in everything else, especially with the 8GB memory limitation.

Question is moot. Bought the SGS3 from Costco. Having tons of fun. Further comments on the VZW GS3 forum.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
AOKP and CM10 will have many more options that don't come on stock ROMs, IMO rooting and running custom ROMS is the only way to go.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Running the recent JB VZW leak, debloated, on the S3. Fast, smooth, with no cruft. This is really ideal for me.

Now we'll have to see how long it takes to crack the bootloader on the DNA and what the battery life will be like. However, considering the poor experience with my last HTC phone, color me skeptical.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
After leaving the Thunderbolt because of radio problems and now having a gnexus I thought I would always go nexus. But this might change my mind. It just really depends on the battery life. It seemed HTC didn't put a big enough battery in the Thunderbolt and from reports this battery doesn't seem big enough for that screen size.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Running the recent JB VZW leak, debloated, on the S3. Fast, smooth, with no cruft. This is really ideal for me.

Now we'll have to see how long it takes to crack the bootloader on the DNA and what the battery life will be like. However, considering the poor experience with my last HTC phone, color me skeptical.

But the point is you only really rooted / ROM'ed in order to get an upgraded version of Android which if this phone ships with the latest and greatest then what is the need?

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
But the point is you only really rooted / ROM'ed in order to get an upgraded version of Android which if this phone ships with the latest and greatest then what is the need?

The ROM in question is debloated (VZW stuff stripped) and has some tweaks. It's more stable than the AOSP hacked ROMS, just as fast, and you can keep whatever Samsung stuff you want (like the excellent camera) while getting rid of what you don't want (TouchWiz launcher). Best of both worlds.

If Sense on the DNA were to be lightning fast, then, yes, "what is the need". However, history has proved this is not likely. However, 1080p & quad-core are mighty enticing.

Arizone

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, having the latest on launch is nice, but what about down the line? Two or three Android versions later, will it still be supported? That is my concern, since my current Droid Charge is horrible in that regard. Also, the rumors show the DLX only having 4.1.1 on release.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I root and ROM because I prefer roms to the software that phones ship with. I would rather have AOKP than stock Android so I would definitely prefer it to any skin out there. If the bootloader is unlocked I might pick one of these up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Schwermzilla

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I just hope the DNA gets an unlockable boot loader. HTC has been pretty good in the past with this but the dinc 4G is still locked and HTC has offered no help in unlocking it. More or less finger pointing at vzw as to why they won't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have root on my Droid Razr and I don't really see the benefit besides a small few things here and there (ad-blocker, backup, etc) especially if the DNA ships with one of the newer builds of Android.

A device that size with almost stock android (cm10 or anything besides sense) makes it so much better.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey