Does S4 Pro have built in LTE ? or will there be 2 Radios

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There's quite a bit of concern on battery issues in the forums.. very hot button issue for many. As a Tbolt user I understand, it was the price I paid to have one of the first 2core/lte phones and a larger screen. That said my understanding was alot of battery is used due to it having two radio chips, I've read that some of the newer Chips now include LTE in the single silicon package. If this is the case I suspect that with improved SLCD3 power consumption that a 2500 ma would not be a issue at all.
(my biggest battery drain is the radios trying to sync to service as I move around, my work location has pitiable cell coverage and I get alot of battery drain with the phone 'sitting' there.)

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This would then become more of a power consumption issue, while the cores/gpu themselves and display use less power it means when using LTE you'll be running 2 radios. Ok good to know all bit and pieces makes for better understanding my choices, thanks !

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This would then become more of a power consumption issue, while the cores/gpu themselves and display use less power it means when using LTE you'll be running 2 radios. Ok good to know all bit and pieces makes for better understanding my choices, thanks !

Actually the entire baseband is a separate chip. LTE, GSM, CDMA, it's all handled by an external baseband chip (mdm96xx i think), which is built on the same 28nm processor as the Krait core. Power efficiency should be good, since optimizations should be there to maximize performance between the two chips.

In other words, Qualcomm designed it to be this way from the get-go.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The baseband chipset is separated from the SoC, it's MDM9615, smaller 28nm, and it handles voice, so there is no need for the secondary modem (fusion).
That said, S4 dual had an integrated modem, but used the same exact ip stack from MDM9615, so there shouldn't be any difference in performance and battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude