DNA and SVDO

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I just seen an advertisement for the RAZR HD that said it had simultaneous voice and data capabilities. Which makes me wonder why this question hasn't been raised for the DNA....Will it have SVDO? because that would be a huge selling point in my opinion.

(edit) Was mistaken about what voLTE was. nothing to see here.

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: DNA and volte

The Droid DNA will have simultaneous voice and data if you are in a LTE area (or on Wifi of course). This has nothing to do with voLTE though.

voLTE is Voice over LTE, and is an a new type of high quality voice technology delivered over LTE from one voLTE phone to another. I don't know of any networks that support the service yet (VZW said next year I think?), and very few phones support it as well The Razr Maxx doesn't have it, the GS3 doesn't have it either as far as I know.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Awww thanks for the clarification. I'm happy that the DNA will have voice/data capabilities. I feel like this is often an overlooked feature that is actually really useful. Who knows, maybe the DNA will be the phone to introduce voLTE, even though no other types of phones will work with it. Now that i got the answer i was looking for, how the hell do you delete threads?

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

razr maxxx has SVDO that allows simultaneous voice and data over 3g. the only other phone i know that has that is the thunderbolt. its nice to have in a pinch but slow. by no means a feature to base a decision on. all 4g phones can surf and talk simultaneous while on 4g network.

bryantkd#AC

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
"all 4g phones can surf and talk simultaneous while on 4g network."

Except the iPhone 5. For some reason it is restricted at least on Verizon

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

Simultaneous voice and data is not possible on CDMA (Sprint/Verizon), because of the way it works. That said, the exception here is using a "4G" data connection (such as LTE) because it uses a completely different radio and frequency band that allows data to continue to work while on the phone. Carriers using GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile and most of the rest of the world) have this functionality by default with 3G because of the way that technology works.

It's kind of like the difference between AM and FM radio. AM stands for Amplitude Modulation, which means all stations operate on the same frequency, but at different amplitudes. FM stands for frequency modulation. Different stations are achieved by being on completely different frequencies. When looking a frequency curve (sine wave), amplitude refers to how high "waves" go up from the center, whereas frequency refers to how close the top of the waves are to each other.

CDMA gets better overall voice quality, but at the expense of being able to transmit two signals at the same time. Actually, the reason LTE allows CDMA phones to use voice and data at the same time is because LTE is a GSM technology. And, of course, this is always capable on any phone when you're using WiFi.

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Simultaneous voice and data is not possible on CDMA (Sprint/Verizon), because of the way it works. That said, the exception here is using a "4G" data connection (such as LTE) because it uses a completely different radio and frequency band that allows data to continue to work while on the phone. Carriers using GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile and most of the rest of the world) have this functionality by default with 3G because of the way that technology works.

It's kind of like the difference between AM and FM radio. AM stands for Amplitude Modulation, which means all stations operate on the same frequency, but at different amplitudes. FM stands for frequency modulation. Different stations are achieved by being on completely different frequencies. When looking a frequency curve (sine wave), amplitude refers to how high "waves" go up from the center, whereas frequency refers to how close the top of the waves are to each other.

CDMA gets better overall voice quality, but at the expense of being able to transmit two signals at the same time. Actually, the reason LTE allows CDMA phones to use voice and data at the same time is because LTE is a GSM technology. And, of course, this is always capable on any phone when you're using WiFi.

That use to be the case but as of now you can with some models, it just depends if the phone supports it or not. I can't speak for all of verizons phones but I am more familiar with sprint being that I am a sprint customer. The lg viper can do voice and data simultaneously over 3G as well the evo lte and gs3. Unfortunately the note 2, gnex and iphone 5 can't. Again, we are talking about 3G not 4G.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That use to be the case but as of now you can with some models, it just depends if the phone supports it or not. I can't speak for all of verizons phones but I am more familiar with sprint being that I am a sprint customer. The lg viper can do voice and data simultaneously over 3G as well the evo lte and gs3. Unfortunately the note 2, gnex and iphone 5 can't. Again, we are talking about 3G not 4G.

Also, when he said that the reason it can do data and voice because LTE is a GSM technology, that's not true. It's because there are two different radios running at the same time. CDMA for voice and LTE for data. LTE won't be able to do simultaneous voice and data until they start utilizing voLTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

Your wrong the EVOLTE and the GS3 both do voice and data at the same time. At least on Sprint. Look up a video.

Ugh! As stated previously in this thread, they all do simultaneous voice and data while on 4g or wifi. The issue is that 99% of phones on CDMA do not do simultaneous voice and data while on 3G.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

razr maxxx has SVDO that allows simultaneous voice and data over 3g. the only other phone i know that has that is the thunderbolt. its nice to have in a pinch but slow. by no means a feature to base a decision on. all 4g phones can surf and talk simultaneous while on 4g network.

FYI, my wife has the Razr Maxx, it does NOT do simultaneous data and voice on 3G. The Razr (and every other phone on VZW I know of - other than the rezound and t'bolt) drop to EVDO when on 3G and CANNOT do voice and data together ..

Edit: it occurs to me that you might have meant the Razr Maxx HD, which some say does have SVDO capabilities on 3G.

Last edited:

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

FYI, my wife has the Razr Maxx, it does NOT do simultaneous data and voice on 3G. The Razr (and every other phone on VZW I know of - other than the rezound and t'bolt) drop to EVDO when on 3G and CANNOT do voice and data together ..

Edit: it occurs to me that you might have meant the Razr Maxx HD, which some say does have SVDO capabilities on 3G.

yep meant maxx hd. oops!!!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So what is the consensus guess here then for the DNA? SVDO on 3G or no? I am hoping yes, but I guess we will know soon enough ..

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000