Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 146
Like Tree47Likes
  1. #26  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,964 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    LULZ. I wasn't aware that battery life was determined strictly by battery capacity. Also, as was pointed out, no other phone has used this display. EVER. So even a phone with the same proc, ram, etc can't be used as a comparison.

    Neither can any other phone that has completely different internals (One X, S3, RAZR whatever).

    I would like to think common sense would prevail here, but now I'm not so sure. In other words....can't you wait until the phone is actually out and people start reporting the REAL world battery life? (yeah, even then, YOUR'S will be different)

    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    paulmike3 and Rizz1-2 like this.
  2. #27  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    I will just say that if the battery isn't at least as good as the S3 then HTC will be in serious trouble. And considering that they already are in serious trouble they will be in dire straights.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by nimrodity View Post
    no need to wait and see.
    HTC cant beat the laws of physics.Look at the OneX slighlty smaller battery which hasnt good battery life.
    And no matter how efficient the DNA will be,the battery will drain very quickly just by this awesome but power hungry display.2020mah is lower than Nexus G with similar specs,so take the battery life of the nexus 4 and subtact about 10-20% more for the display...it just CANT be enough to really satisfy someone
    One X gets pretty good battery life.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery-uploadfromtaptalk1353051463082.jpg  
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by iknownothing View Post
    One X gets pretty good battery life.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    But what is your screen on time? That is the stat to look at.
  5. #30  
    ulnek's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    it's a lamborghini with a 1 liter gas tank. sad. if this phone does not get 8 hours on heavy use, htc really does deserve do go down.
    Motorola Droid Maxx
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    But what is your screen on time? That is the stat to look at.
    Yep!

    People that don't really use their phone get great battery life

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Thanked by:
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    But what is your screen on time? That is the stat to look at.
    A little more than 3 hours at the time I posted.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums
  8. #33  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,964 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I will just say that if the battery isn't at least as good as the S3 then HTC will be in serious trouble. And considering that they already are in serious trouble they will be in dire straights.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Not a fair comparison since the S3 has a user replaceable battery.

    Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    But what is your screen on time? That is the stat to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Yep!

    People that don't really use their phone get great battery life

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

    I kind of don't understand why everybody cares about screen on time. Guess what? Battery life is always going to be worse if your screen is on. Is this not common sense? And seriously who sits there and is actively using their phone for 8 hours straight with the screen on AND can't charge it at some point during that use? Maybe navigation, but then you have a car charger.

    All this talk about the battery life being terrible is bothering me. I just don't get it. The phone isn't even out yet.

    I also wonder how many people complain about not having a user replaceable battery, but then NEVER actually swap the battery on a phone that does have one.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  9. #34  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by ulnek View Post
    it's a lamborghini with a 1 liter gas tank. sad. if this phone does not get 8 hours on heavy use, htc really does deserve do go down.
    I used this exact analogy yesterday when chatting with an employee. It's the fastest car on earth but you can only drive it for half a day.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  10. #35  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Not a fair comparison since the S3 has a user replaceable battery.

    I kind of don't understand why everybody cares about screen on time. Guess what? Battery life is always going to be worse if your screen is on. Is this not common sense? And seriously who sits there and is actively using their phone for 8 hours straight with the screen on AND can't charge it at some point during that use? Maybe navigation, but then you have a car charger.

    All this talk about the battery life being terrible is bothering me. I just don't get it. The phone isn't even out yet.

    I also wonder how many people complain about not having a user replaceable battery, but then NEVER actually swap the battery on a phone that does have one.
    I wouldn't care about the swappable part. Even if it was similar to the stock battery in the S3 I think people would be okay with it. I rarely swap my battery in my SGS2 but it is nice when I need it.

    I think all the disappointment about battery really stems from what people are seeing in other phones of this size. The Maxx and Note 2 are comparable phones that have much larger batteries. I don't care about the technology that allows me to squeak a day out with moderate use. I hate having to plug my phone in 2 and 3 times a day. I only want to plug it in when I go to bed. It's not too much to ask.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy108 View Post
    Exactly! I have had my Evo 4G for exactly two years and I am already on my third official HTC battery. After awhile the batteries just do not hold a charge anymore.
    Both Myself and wife have gotten two plus full years from our orig tbolt batteries.. and as you know they drain like crazy so in regards
    to your comment some do and some don't...
    Thanked by:
  12. #37  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,964 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I wouldn't care about the swappable part. Even if it was similar to the stock battery in the S3 I think people would be okay with it. I rarely swap my battery in my SGS2 but it is nice when I need it.

    I think all the disappointment about battery really stems from what people are seeing in other phones of this size. The Maxx and Note 2 are comparable phones that have much larger batteries. I don't care about the technology that allows me to squeak a day out with moderate use. I hate having to plug my phone in 2 and 3 times a day. I only want to plug it in when I go to bed. It's not too much to ask.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Out of curiosity what's your battery life like now? Can you go a full day without having to charge it?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by a2thejay23 View Post
    iphone 5 has less than a 1500mah battery and still gets awesome battery life with LTE..

    my point in mentioning this, is its not neccessarily the mah that matters, its how the phone consumes it. CNET's review and a few other peoples personal posts who've had the phone for a little while all say that battery life is pretty good and some say better than S3.
    The iPhone 5 is a 4" screen and Apple doesn't have a reputation of poor battery life like HTC. The GS3 allows you to carry a spare battery or replace the stock battery with one in excess of 3500 mAh.
    I doubt if the DNA battery life will be horrible but I want great battery life. With that screen and camera I don't want to have to cripple features to make it through the day.
    A moderate to heavy user will have to ration use of this phone because you don't have OPTIONS.
    I have a Thunderbolt which is not an efficient phone battery wise. I am a moderate to heavy user so I exercised the option of getting an extended battery so I wouldn't have to ration my use or turn all of the features of the phone down. Some other T-Bolt users opt to carry a replacement battery and others turn everything down and cripple their phones. But there are options.
    The DNA limits your options.
    If you are a heavy user you may not be able to watch a couple of movies on a long flight, browse the web or stream music all day.
    The same is true with on-board storage.
    We all know that the cloud is becoming more and more prevalent but I want options. I don't want to be forced to use cloud storage.
    I like being able to carry a large library or music, pictures, movie clips and films on my sd card.
    Both of my sons swim and I am able to record their events and keep them on my phone. Those 30 second to 2 minute races take a lot of space on my phone but are not a concern because of the 64gb card in the sd slot. I have options.
    If you are a low to moderate user this phone is great.
    Or if you are willing to carry external usb drives and move data between your cloud and the DNA then you are fine.
    You can also turn down the brightness, try to stay on wifi, limit your updates, syncs and screen time to extend battery life EVERYDAY.
    But I want a powerful, full featured smartphone that I can use to it's full capabilities.
    I to want watch my cable tv from home through my SlingBox on that big pretty 5" screen. But could I make it through one NFL game?
    I don't think the medium sized, non-replaceable battery and limited on board data storage allow me to do that with the DNA.
    Thanked by:
  14. #39  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,964 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    The iPhone 5 is a 4" screen and Apple doesn't have a reputation of poor battery life like HTC. The GS3 allows you to carry a spare battery or replace the stock battery with one in excess of 3500 mAh.
    I doubt if the DNA battery life will be horrible but I want great battery life. With that screen and camera I don't want to have to cripple features to make it through the day.
    A moderate to heavy user will have to ration use of this phone because you don't have OPTIONS.
    I have a Thunderbolt which is not an efficient phone battery wise. I am a moderate to heavy user so I exercised the option of getting an extended battery so I wouldn't have to ration my use or turn all of the features of the phone down. Some other T-Bolt users opt to carry a replacement battery and others turn everything down and cripple their phones. But there are options.
    The DNA limits your options.
    If you are a heavy user you may not be able to watch a couple of movies on a long flight, browse the web or stream music all day.
    The same is true with on-board storage.
    We all know that the cloud is becoming more and more prevalent but I want options. I don't want to be forced to use cloud storage.
    I like being able to carry a large library or music, pictures, movie clips and films on my sd card.
    Both of my sons swim and I am able to record their events and keep them on my phone. Those 30 second to 2 minute races take a lot of space on my phone but are not a concern because of the 64gb card in the sd slot. I have options.
    If you are a low to moderate user this phone is great.
    Or if you are willing to carry external usb drives and move data between your cloud and the DNA then you are fine.
    You can also turn down the brightness, try to stay on wifi, limit your updates, syncs and screen time to extend battery life EVERYDAY.
    But I want a powerful, full featured smartphone that I can use to it's full capabilities.
    I to want watch my cable tv from home through my SlingBox on that big pretty 5" screen. But could I make it through one NFL game?
    I don't think the medium sized, non-replaceable battery and limited on board data storage allow me to do that with the DNA.
    I'm just curious, do you keep all those videos you take on your SD card or do you move them to some other place? Like dropbox or local storage or something? I would think that as far as that particular issue goes you would just have to move them off of the internal storage more frequently.

    As for carrying a USB OTG cable or something like that I don't see much of a difference between that and carrying a spare battery around. Yes, it would dangle off the bottom, but if you need it then what are the odds the phone isn't also stationary and sitting on a table or something?

    .......


    All valid points. You don't have to "ration" your phone use, though. You can use it how you want if you're around a charger. If you can't be around a charger then you do have options. They involve not getting this phone.

    Yeah I know that's a cop out answer that a lot of us give when someone says they can deal with this feature or that feature, but THIS (replace THIS with whatever feature is your deal breaker) stops me from wanting it, but it does hold true. There are plenty of other phones that may or may not suit your needs.

    If you want the best display you can get on a smartphone this is it. If you can't deal with the shortcomings or limitations then it's obviously not for you.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  15. #40  
    thefireguy286's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I wouldn't care about the swappable part. Even if it was similar to the stock battery in the S3 I think people would be okay with it. I rarely swap my battery in my SGS2 but it is nice when I need it.

    I think all the disappointment about battery really stems from what people are seeing in other phones of this size. The Maxx and Note 2 are comparable phones that have much larger batteries. I don't care about the technology that allows me to squeak a day out with moderate use. I hate having to plug my phone in 2 and 3 times a day. I only want to plug it in when I go to bed. It's not too much to ask.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    How many times does it need to be said the Note II isn't really in the DNA category. Just because the launches are close doesn't mean they mix. Hell the device is practically the same size as a 4.8in GS3. That's it's competitor. The Maxx is sort of in a category by itself. Unless you're a true phablet, no one else is stuffing batteries that size in phones. Should they? Wouldn't hurt. you know why the Note has a large battery? Because Samsung expects you to use it with the Pen and Tablet functions with the screen on more and thus needs to power that, not because they suddenly felt generous. HTC sees the DNA as just a smartphone. But for everyone to dump this in mass on HTC as a fail when outside of the The Verge everyone goes through a normal day ok on it seems unfair. Understand the product first before arm chair panning it. It has wireless charging, instead of messing with plugs it'll sit on the pad next to me in my office. Though the lack of easily removable storage (it does support USB Host..) deserves its criticism. Though even Samsung only half-a$$es SD card support these days anyway.
  16. #41  
    Who?'s Avatar

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Well we've got our answers today and the doubters were right, worse battery than the SG3, but not by all that much. So probably some benefit to the S4 chip, but nothing substantial to make a 2020 battery enough. Glad I didn't wait for this.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Plenty good enough for me. I'll be getting it.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    Well we've got our answers today and the doubters were right, worse battery than the SG3, but not by all that much. So probably some benefit to the S4 chip, but nothing substantial to make a 2020 battery enough. Glad I didn't wait for this.
    If u mean the verge review do this, look at each phone they reviewed, s3, etc all were subjective tests, only the day was run against their battery test...apples and oranges
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    Well we've got our answers today and the doubters were right, worse battery than the SG3, but not by all that much. So probably some benefit to the S4 chip, but nothing substantial to make a 2020 battery enough. Glad I didn't wait for this.


    Just confused here. So the phone has the better screen, better processor, better camera, and battery life that's comparable, and your glad you didn't wait for it? Smells like confirmation bias to me.
    from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  20. #45  

    Default Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    Well we've got our answers today and the doubters were right, worse battery than the SG3, but not by all that much. So probably some benefit to the S4 chip, but nothing substantial to make a 2020 battery enough. Glad I didn't wait for this.
    One review said that, but all others said the battery life was good to exceptional. In the verge's testing, the DNA beat the S3 by almost 25 minutes, IIRC. Cnet's review praised it for long battery life.

    If anything, the reviews confirmed what we already knew: HTC has some wicked standby power management software, but they can't overcome the laws of physics when it comes to the screen actually being on. And even when it is on, the battery life is still pretty good.
  21. #46  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Out of curiosity what's your battery life like now? Can you go a full day without having to charge it?
    No. I have to charge it at least once during the day. Sometimes twice. It's a major hassle dragging out chargers all the time.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  22. #47  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by zepfloyd View Post
    How many times does it need to be said the Note II isn't really in the DNA category. Just because the launches are close doesn't mean they mix. Hell the device is practically the same size as a 4.8in GS3. That's it's competitor. The Maxx is sort of in a category by itself. Unless you're a true phablet, no one else is stuffing batteries that size in phones. Should they? Wouldn't hurt. you know why the Note has a large battery? Because Samsung expects you to use it with the Pen and Tablet functions with the screen on more and thus needs to power that, not because they suddenly felt generous. HTC sees the DNA as just a smartphone. But for everyone to dump this in mass on HTC as a fail when outside of the The Verge everyone goes through a normal day ok on it seems unfair. Understand the product first before arm chair panning it. It has wireless charging, instead of messing with plugs it'll sit on the pad next to me in my office. Though the lack of easily removable storage (it does support USB Host..) deserves its criticism. Though even Samsung only half-a$$es SD card support these days anyway.
    But the reality of it is I have read comments from many people saying that they are deciding between this and the note 2. I know they are different but this is a very large phone just like the Note 2. So I would disagree with you based on buyer demographic.

    My beef is simply that it is pretty clear that there are a ton of people screaming for a bigger battery. We want to give our money to HTC. But we are not going to do it if the battery can't cut it. And I know I am armchairing it, but this battery will not be big enough. HTC doesn't have some magic sauce that no one else has. We know what a 2000mah battery does compared to a 3000mah battery even with all the new lower power options. The Nexus 4 has already proven that. I would rant on the Nexus 4 more too about battery but the price is so good that no one can complain. This phone needed to be better in battery if it was only to give people some faith in HTC again and they chose not to.

    My SGS2 has a 1800mah battery in a much smaller size. Are you saying they were only able to squeeze another 220mah into that massive case?

    Not pleased. I want this phone but I'm buying the Nexus instead. The battery will be a bit better but I will save money, be off contract, get updates and be free of bloatware.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    No. I have to charge it at least once during the day. Sometimes twice. It's a major hassle dragging out chargers all the time.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Dang... I hate having a dead cell battery!
    badbrad17 likes this.
  24. #49  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy108 View Post
    Dang... I hate having a dead cell battery!
    Yup. Not a fan.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

    Battery capacity, and it being nonremoveable, worries me. But I'm willing to concede that battery life may be decent or good, based on real life usage.

    I'm more concerned about the lack of expandable storage.

    16 GB (11 GB usable) is miniscule. It really is. I'm coming from a 4S with 32 GB, which is already full. I'm not into cloud storage, and there's absolutely no way I could manage with 11 GB's. A couple bigger apps (aren't many HD games over 2 GB?) would already put you near max capacity.. that's not even bringing music into play.

    This thing has an absolute gorgeous screen. Seriously, it's ridiculous. But is a display that important when the phone has such glaring negatives against it?

    Speaking for myself only.. no, it isn't. And my last experience with HTC soured me on them as is, so even if I could get past my worries about the battery and storage, I'm not sure about this phone. I've got an upgrade in a week's time. I think I'd rather hold out another week after that for the Note 2 on the 29th.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. People with the 4800 mah battery, question!
    By zkyevolved#AC in forum Dell Streak
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM
  2. Wait and see Battery life method
    By Edwill86 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
  3. Get an Evo now, or wait and see?
    By ilongbored in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 09:10 PM
  4. 2150 mAh battery and I LIKE IT!!!!
    By huey in forum Incredible Accessories
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
  5. 1800 mah Battery AND stand-alone battery charger
    By mr.s4ndm4n in forum Incredible Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions