Wait and SEE with 2020 mah battery

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
at first glance, that battery size would seem to be much too small, even by dual core standards. not to mention I've suffered through horrible battery life with the T-bolt, I just can't see myself dropping more cash into something that wont give me a day of battery without constantly worrying about it. IMO, it should have been at the least 2500 mah. with the maxx HD calling my name in about 6 months, I can easily push past the monster specs on this phone.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You actually know this is a hungry display?
This is the first device to contain this technology release..
Can you please provide the 6 numbers for powerball, we'll all buy you a phone !

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Honestly every smartphone market should just put removable razr maxx batteries in them.

no more battery life problems and you can charge one would you drain the other

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! I have had my Evo 4G for exactly two years and I am already on my third official HTC battery. After awhile the batteries just do not hold a charge anymore.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not concerned as much about the size of the battery than I am with the fact that it's non-removable. There is no excuse for this.

You must be able to remove battery:
for resetting,
for swapping bad batteries,
for swapping dated old batteries,
for adding extending batteries
for changing batteries when they get low, instead of searching like a zombie for a plug in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, but this phone is now off my list.
Exactly! I have had my Evo 4G for exactly two years and I am already on my third official HTC battery. After awhile the batteries just do not hold a charge anymore.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
LULZ. I wasn't aware that battery life was determined strictly by battery capacity. Also, as was pointed out, no other phone has used this display. EVER. So even a phone with the same proc, ram, etc can't be used as a comparison.

Neither can any other phone that has completely different internals (One X, S3, RAZR whatever).

I would like to think common sense would prevail here, but now I'm not so sure. In other words....can't you wait until the phone is actually out and people start reporting the REAL world battery life? (yeah, even then, YOUR'S will be different)

:)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I will just say that if the battery isn't at least as good as the S3 then HTC will be in serious trouble. And considering that they already are in serious trouble they will be in dire straights.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
no need to wait and see.
HTC cant beat the laws of physics.Look at the OneX slighlty smaller battery which hasnt good battery life.
And no matter how efficient the DNA will be,the battery will drain very quickly just by this awesome but power hungry display.2020mah is lower than Nexus G with similar specs,so take the battery life of the nexus 4 and subtact about 10-20% more for the display...it just CANT be enough to really satisfy someone

One X gets pretty good battery life.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353051463082.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353051463082.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 143

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
it's a lamborghini with a 1 liter gas tank. sad. if this phone does not get 8 hours on heavy use, htc really does deserve do go down.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I will just say that if the battery isn't at least as good as the S3 then HTC will be in serious trouble. And considering that they already are in serious trouble they will be in dire straights.

Not a fair comparison since the S3 has a user replaceable battery.

But what is your screen on time? That is the stat to look at.

Yep!

People that don't really use their phone get great battery life

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

I kind of don't understand why everybody cares about screen on time. Guess what? Battery life is always going to be worse if your screen is on. Is this not common sense? And seriously who sits there and is actively using their phone for 8 hours straight with the screen on AND can't charge it at some point during that use? Maybe navigation, but then you have a car charger.

All this talk about the battery life being terrible is bothering me. I just don't get it. The phone isn't even out yet.

I also wonder how many people complain about not having a user replaceable battery, but then NEVER actually swap the battery on a phone that does have one. :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
it's a lamborghini with a 1 liter gas tank. sad. if this phone does not get 8 hours on heavy use, htc really does deserve do go down.

I used this exact analogy yesterday when chatting with an employee. It's the fastest car on earth but you can only drive it for half a day.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not a fair comparison since the S3 has a user replaceable battery.

I kind of don't understand why everybody cares about screen on time. Guess what? Battery life is always going to be worse if your screen is on. Is this not common sense? And seriously who sits there and is actively using their phone for 8 hours straight with the screen on AND can't charge it at some point during that use? Maybe navigation, but then you have a car charger.

All this talk about the battery life being terrible is bothering me. I just don't get it. The phone isn't even out yet.

I also wonder how many people complain about not having a user replaceable battery, but then NEVER actually swap the battery on a phone that does have one. :)

I wouldn't care about the swappable part. Even if it was similar to the stock battery in the S3 I think people would be okay with it. I rarely swap my battery in my SGS2 but it is nice when I need it.

I think all the disappointment about battery really stems from what people are seeing in other phones of this size. The Maxx and Note 2 are comparable phones that have much larger batteries. I don't care about the technology that allows me to squeak a day out with moderate use. I hate having to plug my phone in 2 and 3 times a day. I only want to plug it in when I go to bed. It's not too much to ask.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Both Myself and wife have gotten two plus full years from our orig tbolt batteries.. and as you know they drain like crazy so in regards
to your comment some do and some don't...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't care about the swappable part. Even if it was similar to the stock battery in the S3 I think people would be okay with it. I rarely swap my battery in my SGS2 but it is nice when I need it.

I think all the disappointment about battery really stems from what people are seeing in other phones of this size. The Maxx and Note 2 are comparable phones that have much larger batteries. I don't care about the technology that allows me to squeak a day out with moderate use. I hate having to plug my phone in 2 and 3 times a day. I only want to plug it in when I go to bed. It's not too much to ask.

Out of curiosity what's your battery life like now? Can you go a full day without having to charge it?

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
iphone 5 has less than a 1500mah battery and still gets awesome battery life with LTE..

my point in mentioning this, is its not neccessarily the mah that matters, its how the phone consumes it. CNET's review and a few other peoples personal posts who've had the phone for a little while all say that battery life is pretty good and some say better than S3.
The iPhone 5 is a 4" screen and Apple doesn't have a reputation of poor battery life like HTC. The GS3 allows you to carry a spare battery or replace the stock battery with one in excess of 3500 mAh.
I doubt if the DNA battery life will be horrible but I want great battery life. With that screen and camera I don't want to have to cripple features to make it through the day.
A moderate to heavy user will have to ration use of this phone because you don't have OPTIONS.
I have a Thunderbolt which is not an efficient phone battery wise. I am a moderate to heavy user so I exercised the option of getting an extended battery so I wouldn't have to ration my use or turn all of the features of the phone down. Some other T-Bolt users opt to carry a replacement battery and others turn everything down and cripple their phones. But there are options.
The DNA limits your options.
If you are a heavy user you may not be able to watch a couple of movies on a long flight, browse the web or stream music all day.
The same is true with on-board storage.
We all know that the cloud is becoming more and more prevalent but I want options. I don't want to be forced to use cloud storage.
I like being able to carry a large library or music, pictures, movie clips and films on my sd card.
Both of my sons swim and I am able to record their events and keep them on my phone. Those 30 second to 2 minute races take a lot of space on my phone but are not a concern because of the 64gb card in the sd slot. I have options.
If you are a low to moderate user this phone is great.
Or if you are willing to carry external usb drives and move data between your cloud and the DNA then you are fine.
You can also turn down the brightness, try to stay on wifi, limit your updates, syncs and screen time to extend battery life EVERYDAY.
But I want a powerful, full featured smartphone that I can use to it's full capabilities.
I to want watch my cable tv from home through my SlingBox on that big pretty 5" screen. But could I make it through one NFL game?
I don't think the medium sized, non-replaceable battery and limited on board data storage allow me to do that with the DNA.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is a 4" screen and Apple doesn't have a reputation of poor battery life like HTC. The GS3 allows you to carry a spare battery or replace the stock battery with one in excess of 3500 mAh.
I doubt if the DNA battery life will be horrible but I want great battery life. With that screen and camera I don't want to have to cripple features to make it through the day.
A moderate to heavy user will have to ration use of this phone because you don't have OPTIONS.
I have a Thunderbolt which is not an efficient phone battery wise. I am a moderate to heavy user so I exercised the option of getting an extended battery so I wouldn't have to ration my use or turn all of the features of the phone down. Some other T-Bolt users opt to carry a replacement battery and others turn everything down and cripple their phones. But there are options.
The DNA limits your options.
If you are a heavy user you may not be able to watch a couple of movies on a long flight, browse the web or stream music all day.
The same is true with on-board storage.
We all know that the cloud is becoming more and more prevalent but I want options. I don't want to be forced to use cloud storage.
I like being able to carry a large library or music, pictures, movie clips and films on my sd card.
Both of my sons swim and I am able to record their events and keep them on my phone. Those 30 second to 2 minute races take a lot of space on my phone but are not a concern because of the 64gb card in the sd slot. I have options.
If you are a low to moderate user this phone is great.
Or if you are willing to carry external usb drives and move data between your cloud and the DNA then you are fine.
You can also turn down the brightness, try to stay on wifi, limit your updates, syncs and screen time to extend battery life EVERYDAY.
But I want a powerful, full featured smartphone that I can use to it's full capabilities.
I to want watch my cable tv from home through my SlingBox on that big pretty 5" screen. But could I make it through one NFL game?
I don't think the medium sized, non-replaceable battery and limited on board data storage allow me to do that with the DNA.

I'm just curious, do you keep all those videos you take on your SD card or do you move them to some other place? Like dropbox or local storage or something? I would think that as far as that particular issue goes you would just have to move them off of the internal storage more frequently.

As for carrying a USB OTG cable or something like that I don't see much of a difference between that and carrying a spare battery around. Yes, it would dangle off the bottom, but if you need it then what are the odds the phone isn't also stationary and sitting on a table or something?

All valid points. You don't have to "ration" your phone use, though. You can use it how you want if you're around a charger. If you can't be around a charger then you do have options. They involve not getting this phone. :p

Yeah I know that's a cop out answer that a lot of us give when someone says they can deal with this feature or that feature, but THIS (replace THIS with whatever feature is your deal breaker) stops me from wanting it, but it does hold true. There are plenty of other phones that may or may not suit your needs.

If you want the best display you can get on a smartphone this is it. If you can't deal with the shortcomings or limitations then it's obviously not for you.

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

How many times does it need to be said the Note II isn't really in the DNA category. Just because the launches are close doesn't mean they mix. Hell the device is practically the same size as a 4.8in GS3. That's it's competitor. The Maxx is sort of in a category by itself. Unless you're a true phablet, no one else is stuffing batteries that size in phones. Should they? Wouldn't hurt. you know why the Note has a large battery? Because Samsung expects you to use it with the Pen and Tablet functions with the screen on more and thus needs to power that, not because they suddenly felt generous. HTC sees the DNA as just a smartphone. But for everyone to dump this in mass on HTC as a fail when outside of the The Verge everyone goes through a normal day ok on it seems unfair. Understand the product first before arm chair panning it. It has wireless charging, instead of messing with plugs it'll sit on the pad next to me in my office. Though the lack of easily removable storage (it does support USB Host..) deserves its criticism. Though even Samsung only half-a$$es SD card support these days anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc