junkie88

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My tl;dr after 5 days of use:

8-10 on LTE only.
14+ on Wifi most of the day.

It's at least as good as the GS3.

Folks need to chill. :p

Thanks, good enough for me. I returned the GS3 because of its battery life, so I can now rule this phone out as well.

Im going with the note2 simply because of the extra battery life. I would rather it be a little smaller but I like the extra battery life.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Engadget says:
How does the 2,020mAh battery hold up to a screen that's constantly pushing more pixels? Our standard rundown, which involves running a video on an endless loop, resulted in the phone holding out for six hours and 38 minutes, which isn't quite as good a showing as we saw from the One X+ and Optimus G on the same test.

The Verge says:
In daily use, it frequently tapped out long before the day was over. It?s certainly a phone that requires a trip to the battery charger at least once, possibly even twice, during the day to make it to the evening.
and also later refers to
miserable battery life

However, Gizmodo says:
the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3.

I don't know how to reconcile these, because Engadget makes it sound mediocre, The Verge makes it sound downright awful, and Gizmodo makes it sound solid.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how to reconcile these, because Engadget makes it sound mediocre, The Verge makes it sound downright awful, and Gizmodo makes it sound solid.

I posted my observations about the various reviews in the other thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-have-questions-fire-away-18.html#post2337048
and
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-have-questions-fire-away-20.html#post2340813

Don't know if it'd help you, but long story short, seems to be able to last anywhere between 4 hours to 30+ hours, depending on how hard you use your phone.
I'll have to look at the new reviews that are out later today and see if they show the same trends.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-have-questions-fire-away-18.html#post2337048
and
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-have-questions-fire-away-20.html#post2340813

Don't know if it'd help you, but long story short, seems to be able to last anywhere between 4 hours to 30+ hours, depending on how hard you use your phone.
I'll have to look at the new reviews that are out later today and see if they show the same trends.

Sounds as if the theme is that the phone lasts a long time idling, but the screen drains the battery fast.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
and

Not sure how I missed those posts but thanks for the effort on putting down your 2 cents. Great explanation.

The sad part is this phone isn't for me but I want it to be.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Many reviews list the battery life favorably, some do not for sure. The 3 sites listed above are a sample of about 15 reviews I have seen. More of them have been positive than negative on the DNA battery life, to be sure. More data on this and more real world tests will help all of us for sure. I would keep in mind that no 2 sites use the phone exactly the same testing methodology or do the same tests.

Every person's use case is different as well. What is "acceptable" to one person may not be to another. In addition, lots of other factors will cause variances in reported battery life (from sites and from users). During a normal day of use, things that cause battery life variations are:
- How often daily are you on wifi?
- If you are in a 4G area, HOW GOOD IS YOUR SIGNAL ?
- How frequently do you have your apps set to poll for data?
- How much screen on time per day do you actually use?
- What brightness is your screen at when you use it?
- How many phone calls?
- How much gaming do you do?
- WHAT apps do you have running (some apps are poorer than others in the background)?
- MANY MANY other factors (too many to list here)​

No answers to the questions above are right or wrong, but one can understand that there will be widely varied battery life reports based on ones usage. Since the title of this thread is WAIT AND SEE, I highly agree that it's a good idea to see what users think once its released. Review sites are great for sure, and helpful, but they are open to widely varied use cases, as all users are ...

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Many reviews list the battery life favorably, some do not for sure. The 3 sites listed above are a sample of about 15 reviews I have seen. More of them have been positive than negative on the DNA battery life, to be sure. More data on this and more real world tests will help all of us for sure. I would keep in mind that no 2 sites use the phone exactly the same testing methodology or do the same tests.

Every person's use case is different as well. What is "acceptable" to one person may not be to another. In addition, lots of other factors will cause variances in reported battery life (from sites and from users). During a normal day of use, things that cause battery life variations are:
- How often daily are you on wifi?
- If you are in a 4G area, HOW GOOD IS YOUR SIGNAL ?
- How frequently do you have your apps set to poll for data?
- How much screen on time per day do you actually use?
- What brightness is your screen at when you use it?
- How many phone calls?
- How much gaming do you do?
- WHAT apps do you have running (some apps are poorer than others in the background)?
- MANY MANY other factors (too many to list here)​

No answers to the questions above are right or wrong, but one can understand that there will be widely varied battery life reports based on ones usage. Since the title of this thread is WAIT AND SEE, I highly agree that it's a good idea to see what users think once its released. Review sites are great for sure, and helpful, but they are open to widely varied use cases, as all users are ...

The only negative comments I have seen have been from some of the review sites - the verge, etc, and, from users, who do not have DNA's in hand. I don't think I have seen any negative comments from any of those, who got early releases. My own experience has been very positive, but, I am not a heavy user, ie. I don't stream video for 8 hours at a time, ymmv I think for most normal users, the battery will be fine, and, once other users get DNA's in hand, I think it will be confirme. Though, for the guy that streams video constantly for hours at a time, it will probably be a let down.

Last edited:

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The battery thing can go either way.

Unfortunately, the 11 GB is locked in place with no way to improve that.

No thanks.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, good enough for me. I returned the GS3 because of its battery life, so I can now rule this phone out as well.

Im going with the note2 simply because of the extra battery life. I would rather it be a little smaller but I like the extra battery life.

My thoughts exactly!

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how I missed those posts but thanks for the effort on putting down your 2 cents. Great explanation.

I am with you. If the phone had a little more storage and a better battery I would be all over this phone!!!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am with you. If the phone had a little more storage and a better battery I would be all over this phone!!!

Ya, especially because cloud storage and streaming is going to be a must, the battery is going to be taxed even more. I run and use gps and music a lot, so adding more data streaming will kill this battery in a hurry. Not saying others phones won't, but on my SGS2 I just swap out my battery when I get back from my run and I'm back at 100 % and ready for my work day without having to plug it in.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Glad it was helpful for you.
Yes, it is unfortunate that HTC chose to compromise the battery in such a way, but that's what we have to deal with.
We just have to look at the facts and make a decision. I'll be looking over the new reviews momentarily to compare their numbers. I'll probably make a new summary post if anything significant has changed, or if people really want to read one, haha.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad it was helpful for you.
Yes, it is unfortunate that HTC chose to compromise the battery in such a way, but that's what we have to deal with.
We just have to look at the facts and make a decision. I'll be looking over the new reviews momentarily to compare their numbers. I'll probably make a new summary post if anything significant has changed, or if people really want to read one, haha.

It would be great if there were some standardized tests for batteries that were used for all devices. It would be nice to be able to go to a website that compared different phones and how they perform in a variety of stress tests. Including a daily user test with a number of screen on times and media streaming. Seems like a good opportunity for a tech site. So many are all over the place and too subjective. Android Police seems to be trying to use a standard system but doesn't seem to be applying it to all reviews.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ya, especially because cloud storage and streaming is going to be a must, the battery is going to be taxed even more. I run and use gps and music a lot, so adding more data streaming will kill this battery in a hurry. Not saying others phones won't, but on my SGS2 I just swap out my battery when I get back from my run and I'm back at 100 % and ready for my work day without having to plug it in.

Makes sense. I do the same thing when I am on the long flight and my battery runs low. Simply swap the battery out and continue watching movies.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You do have things like the mobi case and portable power packs that are going to become more prevalent as manufacturers start making non removable batteries the norm.

Some of the he portables are no bigger than a pen so it isn't all that big a deal.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No. I have to charge it at least once during the day. Sometimes twice. It's a major hassle dragging out chargers all the time.

Once or twice a day isn't "all the time".

The One X+ battery is almost exactly the same size as the DNA.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Look what I just found. A simple answer that should relieve any and all worries about running out of power when out and about. Not a whole lot bigger than a spare battery would be. And good for 3700mah!

http://www.tmart.com/3600-mAh-Porta...gn=product&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=base

And another: Newegg.com - Verbatim Black 2200 mAh Portable Micro-USB Power Pack Charger 97927

But why? Why has this become what is necessary? We're willing to put on massive battery packs, but manufacturers can't just put in a larger battery

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
But why? Why has this become what is necessary? We're willing to put on massive battery packs, but manufacturers can't just put in a larger battery

I guess I should point out that the "need" for something like this would be limited to those few times when you're going to be out and away from any charging sources for over 12-16 hours. Other than that I think it's fair to say that we all have chargers by our bedstands, around the house, in the car and in our work environments. So I would get one of these just to have with me if I knew I was going to be on a long flight or otherwise away from my normal daily life for anything over 12 hours. For any other time I think the bult-in battery should be just fine. Really no different from those folks who say the lack of a replaceable battery is a deal breaker and then carry a spare. Just think of one of these as the same thing as "a spare."