Carries Gouging By Limiting Storage Space

steelerfan791

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Tiered data + ridiculously low on board storage + no micro SD support= Gouging

I was very excited to order this device. I was half way through the order when it dawned on me to check the storage specs. Sure enough, there it was. 16 GB on board, no sd support. This seems to be an increasing trend (think the one series). It seems to me carriers have quite an incentive to limit device storage to force users to use cloud/ streaming services and thus rack up excessive data charges. This is really a sad state of affairs.

I guess i'll go with the One x+, at least it has adequate storage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I was very excited to order this device. I was half way through the order when it dawned on me to check the storage specs. Sure enough, there it was. 16 GB on board, no sd support. This seems to be an increasing trend (think the one series). It seems to me carriers have quite an incentive to limit device storage to force users to use cloud/ streaming services and thus rack up excessive data charges. This is really a sad state of affairs.

No microSD card = following Google's lead.

See Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4.

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
i agree, its redic....why remove it if its already there. Well of all the cheap lowsy ways to make a buck!! (Christmas Vacation style)

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

No. I don't buy it. Too many other high end Android devices have SD Card slots to seriously convince yourself that carriers are trying to gouge customers by making one manufacturer omit SD Card slots in their flagship phones. It makes literally no sense whatsoever.

Samsung's Galaxy Series phones all had SD Card slots. Sony Xperia phones have SD Card Slots. Motorola's phones have SD Card slots. LG's phones have SD Card slots. Even cheap Pantech phones have SD Card slots. Blackberries have them, too.

It makes no sense to blame Verizon or AT&T (or any other carrier) for HTC not putting that in their phone. I doubt a carrier would have that taken out. It makes no sense.

I applaud HTC for going with better designs and built materials, but they have put themselves in a position where they are forcing themselves to make concessions that simply are not consumer friendly in their devices. What Sony did with the ion (put the SIM and SD Card under a compartment up top) is way more practical than what HTC did with the One X and some other devices while still delivering a high build quality and durability.

Additionally, consumers have themselves to blame for these issues as well. The obsession with thin and light is getting out of control and it's a real issue that OEMs and carriers are having trouble dealing with with some devices.

This "trend" only exists with Windows Phones (which until WP8 didn't support SD Cards officially) and HTC Devices since the One Series was debut. It isn't even approaching becoming an industry-wide trend, even among the carriers. Even for WP8, Nokia made sure to put 32GB storage while HTC put only 16GB in their (8X) device, IIRC. Surprised?

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It does make sense, Samsung has more pull with vzw to tell them the phone needs to have the SD cardnlime every other carrier. It makes no sense that the j butterfly would have it but this wouldn't. Only reason would be vzw....more cloud usage = more data = more money in vzw pockets.....its more of a hassle for HTC to change things from the j butterfly rather than leaving it in there. Ie. Production line, software

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It does make sense, Samsung has more pull with vzw to tell them the phone needs to have the SD cardnlime every other carrier. It makes no sense that the j butterfly would have it but this wouldn't. Only reason would be vzw....more cloud usage = more data = more money in vzw pockets.....its more of a hassle for HTC to change things from the j butterfly rather than leaving it in there. Ie. Production line, software

Yet Motorola, Verizon's darling, also has SD slots on their DROID RAZR M, DROID RAZR HD, and DROID RAZR MAXX HD. Motorola doesn't have the pull Samsung does. I've seen people call Motorola "Verizon's [female dog]".

Look at the Nexus 4. No carrier interference. Yet no SD card slot.

You're reaching for something that isn't there.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The mfg make their phones, not the carriers. They don't dictate if the phone will have a removeable battery or a Micro SD slot. They decide what their phones will have on them. I am not paying for a phone that doesn't have a micro SD card. I did when I got the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 but on my phone.....no.....it has to have it. I love HTC but now will have to give Samsung a try. I just hope the signal works in my home area because have had problems with Samsung in the past not holding signal. I AM DISAPPOINTED IN HTC.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
No microSD card = following Google's lead.

See Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4.

Following Google's lead? I think you meant to say following Apple's lead.....all iphones! So Apple sets the stage....Google follows....then phone manufacturers. It seems like Android phones are becoming more and more like Apple in regards to hardware specs.....now we are seeing more non-removable batteries.....no SD so you are forced to use the cloud....whats next...one size fits all??

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Following Google's lead? I think you meant to say following Apple's lead.....all iphones! So Apple sets the stage....Google follows....then phone manufacturers. It seems like Android phones are becoming more and more like Apple in regards to hardware specs.....now we are seeing more non-removable batteries.....no SD so you are forced to use the cloud....whats next...one size fits all??

That's fine if you want to bring Apple into this.

I seriously doubt that the iPhone not having expandable memory was the number one deciding factor for Google to no longer offer expandable memory in their Nexus devices past the Nexus One.

But then again, the iPhone sort of proves that you don't need expandable memory and a user-replaceable battery to have a successful smartphone.

Again, that's the beauty of Android. Don't like what one phone is or isn't doing? You have options.

natenrb9

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

But what might be an even worse skimp, the One X+ only has 1gb of ram... I have the One X, and definitely notice a problem with only 1gb of ram...

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
That's fine if you want to bring Apple into this.

I seriously doubt that the iPhone not having expandable memory was the number one deciding factor for Google to no longer offer expandable memory in their Nexus devices past the Nexus One.

But then again, the iPhone sort of proves that you don't need expandable memory and a user-replaceable battery to have a successful smartphone.

Again, that's the beauty of Android. Don't like what one phone is or isn't doing? You have options.

I'm only mentioning Apple because they never had SD card slots in their phones or removable batteries....Google and Android phones are now following this giving us less options. Apple can take a crap in tinfoil and sell it as a smartphone and as long as there is an apple stamped on it their faithful followers will buy it.....and buy it by the 10's of millions. Many people just don't like the fact that the Android phones are heading toward non-removable batteries, no SD and now less storage options. And people are right when they say its to force people to use the cloud and to use more data. I have a 4 year old and I don't always like to lug my HD camcorder around so I use my phone a lot to take pictures and HD video...this is one of the biggest reasons why I bought a smartphone to have like an all in one device. I would much rather store my videos and pictures on an SD card than upload to a cloud.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
But what might be an even worse skimp, the One X+ only has 1gb of ram... I have the One X, and definitely notice a problem with only 1gb of ram...

The idea that android phones need 2gb of ram is bunk. It has been disproven over and over again. It is not necessary, and can actually end up doing more harm than good.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm only mentioning Apple because they never had SD card slots in their phones or removable batteries....Google and Android phones are now following this giving us less options. Apple can take a crap in tinfoil and sell it as a smartphone and as long as there is an apple stamped on it their faithful followers will buy it.....and buy it by the 10's of millions. Many people just don't like the fact that the Android phones are heading toward non-removable batteries, no SD and now less storage options. And people are right when they say its to force people to use the cloud and to use more data. I have a 4 year old and I don't always like to lug my HD camcorder around so I use my phone a lot to take pictures and HD video...this is one of the biggest reasons why I bought a smartphone to have like an all in one device. I would much rather store my videos and pictures on an SD card than upload to a cloud.

But you still have options with Android.

Optimus Nexus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC doesn't have the pull like, say, Apple. Apple can dictate the terms with carriers because 1) they buy/build their own parts/phones 2) Apple is very popular. HTC on the other hand, has Verizon subsidize their phones. That is to say, Verizon helps pay the a lot of the costs for the parts that make the phone itself. Therefore, as a result, Verizon gets the right to put their logo, bloatware, mess around with the UI, and etc.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Bottomline: It's tough to argue that no SD cards is a carrier-mandated thing when -

1. Google's attempt at wrestling power away from carriers (Nexus 4) doesn't have an SD card slot.

2. Other carrier branded phones like the DROID RAZR line, the DROID Incredible line, and the latest EVO have SD card slots.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Bottomline: It's tough to argue that no SD cards is a carrier-mandated thing when -

1. Google's attempt at wrestling power away from carriers (Nexus 4) doesn't have an SD card slot.

2. Other carrier branded phones like the DROID RAZR line, the DROID Incredible line, and the latest EVO have SD card slots.

It's not even an argument that can be made, really. Even Verizon isn't stupid. They put 32GB storage in their Galaxy Nexus, AMIRITE?

HTC had phones with 16GB + SD up until the One Series launched. The Vivid, Rezound, and Amaze 4G all had 16GB + SD Card Slots. The lack of SD Slot is a concession they made because of the designs they chose to go with in the One Series devices (with few exceptions, like the Evo 4G/LTE).

Before HTC started putting 16GB + SD in their phones they had phones with only 1GB Internal Storage and SD Card Slots. This is just the opposite of that. They are always trying to find ways to save nickles and dimes on their phones to boost margins. It's what they do (also do the same with battery sizes, they often use smaller/cheaper batteries). Samsung does it by using cheaper build materials, which is actually a more consumer-friendly approach since putting a phone in a bumber is what *most* people do, anyways.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's not even an argument that can be made, really. Even Verizon isn't stupid. They put 32GB storage in their Galaxy Nexus, AMIRITE?

HTC had phones with 16GB + SD up until the One Series launched. The Vivid, Rezound, and Amaze 4G all had 16GB + SD Card Slots. The lack of SD Slot is a concession they made because of the designs they chose to go with in the One Series devices (with few exceptions, like the Evo 4G/LTE).

Before HTC started putting 16GB + SD in their phones they had phones with only 1GB Internal Storage and SD Card Slots. This is just the opposite of that. They are always trying to find ways to save nickles and dimes on their phones to boost margins. It's what they do (also do the same with battery sizes, they often use smaller/cheaper batteries). Samsung does it by using cheaper build materials, which is actually a more consumer-friendly approach since putting a phone in a bumber is what *most* people do, anyways.

Except we know for a fact HTC built the phone to Verizon's specs. We also know the J Butterfly, which Verizon allowed HTC to bring to KDDI, has one. The ONLY conclusion that can be drawn from the existence of the Butterfly is that Verizon put the kibosh on an sd slot.

N8ter

Banned
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While allowing one in a ton of other flagships.

Makes... little... sense...

That's an assumption, not a conclusion.

HTC is known for having a dozen similar handsets. That doesntbsay anything.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
While allowing one in a ton of other flagships.

Makes... little... sense...

That's an assumption, not a conclusion.

HTC is known for having a dozen similar handsets. That doesntbsay anything.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

It's not an assumption. It was directly acknowledged by Verizon and HTC. The fact that the Butterfly has one proves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo