I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, "The Cloud". That's exactly where Verizon wants you to go now that they're eliminating unlimited data plans with new phone purchases. Stream, stream, stream. Store all your pictures and movies and games in the cloud. Can anyone spell overage charges? I'll take a sd card and removable battery all day any day. And Janet, you hit the nail right on the head. There's a reason that HTC is losing market share. Really wanted to love this phone.

It's not just that it takes up data allotments. Streaming kills battery dramatically faster than playing off of local storage. And it clogs up bandwith, so browsing, etc. are much slower. And of course you need a good connection.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Might be on to something here. It does have USB host... it should work...

I have the resources available too. Im a mechanical engineer, I have 3D modelling software (Creo), a 3D printer for the prototype, and a bunch of software/computer/electrical engineers that work with me. This would be a fun pet project. All I need is the actual phone to grab measurements off of, or a detail drawing with dimensions. Brownie points to whoever links a CAD file lol!

Last edited:

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This has been answered a bunch of times. YES - it is Qi compatible. Verizon is going to sell an LG charging station but other charging stations that are Qi compatible should work also.

The Palm Touchstone will reportedly not work based on what I read in another thread on the Nexus 4, because the Touchstone is not Qi compatible. Neither are the Powermats. Save your money.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This is great. I almost pre-ordered the day it was announced (since I've been following the leaks on this phone for a while now mainly from this site), but held back after seeing the specs on battery and non-expandable storage...

However, the accessories mentioned by other members here are convincing me more and more to go with this phone over the GN II. Which even though they're not direct competitors, I think it's the closest phone that matches up to the DNA (the Nexus 4 doesn't cut it IMO). However, I'm waiting to see the reviews on battery life before I take the plunge. Any ideas when you guys will release your official review of the phone?

To me, as long as the phone lasts from the time I get up in the morning to the time I go to bed (~15-16 hours) with moderate-to-heavy use, then I'm happy. But I'm still a bit concerned on that 11GB of usable storage (which can be more with a cleaned up or slimmed down custom ROM). However, since I'd have to pay the full retail price since my "upgrade eligibility" is not until July of 2013, the DNA would cost $100 less... and I guess that makes up for the smaller battery and no microSD slot... :-\

Even with it's somewhat lower power consuming screen, you really expect a 5" display, LTE phone with a 2020 mAh battery to last 16 hours of moderate to heavy use?
I don't think any LTE phone with under a 2500 mAh battery is capable of doing that. I guess it depends on what you call moderate to heavy use. I consider greater than 50% screen on time to be moderate to heavy use (your definition may vary). That would be greater than 8 hours of screen time in a 16 hr day.
Also, please let me know the accessories that made your decision. I don't usually decide phones on the basis of accessories.
Maybe you are referring to items that can mitigate the DNA perceived shortcomings of battery life and internal data storage.
Personally, I wouldn't want one of those battery boost cases or some type of external storage device to use the phone the way it was intended.
If you need to be consistently off charge for more than 10 hours everyday with moderate to heavy use I doubt that this is a good phone option.
The internal storage is not as big an issue unless you don't have consistent easy access to wifi or need to have huge amounts of data on hand at all times. Music, video, and data can be moved pretty easily back and fourth from external sources with hard wire or wifi but can get expensive if it has to be done by cellular network.
Finally, the GN2 is a totally different class of device from the DNA and is hard to compare. It is a matter of form factor and function more than features and performance. The GN2 beats the DNA in virtually every feature and performance category (except screen and camera) but you have to want a phablet instead of a phone.

I'm interested in how the DNA performs with regard to battery life because it is an impressive machine. I think it is near the top of it's class with the iPhone, RAZR HD and GS3.

DROIDDNAer

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Phil, please quit screwing around and travel to the future so you can give everyone your battery assessment.

Luckily, HTC provided 20 HTC elevate members with phones early, so here' what I have seen:
I received it at 10 AM Saturday, and got 14 hours out of the 80% charge that was there. Now, given that I did all my setup during that time, that's pretty good, right?
I fully charged it, and got 27 hours on the 1st charge. After a 2nd charge it has lasted 27 hours and still has 13%. I have had a number of phone calls, web browsing, Tweet reading, FB checking. It is all good.So, the 3rd charge will be tonight, 5 days after I received the phone.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Luckily, HTC provided 20 HTC elevate members with phones early, so here' what I have seen:
I received it at 10 AM Saturday, and got 14 hours out of the 80% charge that was there. Now, given that I did all my setup during that time, that's pretty good, right?
I fully charged it, and got 27 hours on the 1st charge. After a 2nd charge it has lasted 27 hours and still has 13%. I have had a number of phone calls, web browsing, Tweet reading, FB checking. It is all good.So, the 3rd charge will be tonight, 5 days after I received the phone.

Wow, if this is true, this may very well be my next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Phil, I'm at McDonald's! Big Mac or double quarter pounder?

Can't wait for the EVO hydraulic hd maxx version of this phone on sprint! 32 gigs, sd card, 2500 mah battery! And unlimited everything! And getting faster everyday! Y'all are on the wrong network!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

On Wi-Fi? We want to see screen on time and on 4g only

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey Phil. My question is should I get a nexus 4 and go to T-Mobile or a DNA and stay with Verizon??????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

That is great! However, the real question is, how will the battery power be after repeated use? I have owned my HTC EVO 4G for two years and I am now on my third official HTC battery. After awhile the batteries no longer hold a charge. With a removable battery you can simply swap out the battery and the phone is like new again. Obviously with an embedded battery you do not have this luxury. I have never owned a non-removable battery operated phone though, maybe the technology has advanced over the past two years and batteries can now be charged and drained over and over again for years with no problem. I don't know. Anyone have any information on this? Also, I saw others were asking if this phone is SVDO compatible and capable of simultaneous voice and data on a 3G network. Do we have any info on this yet? It is a very important feature for me as not all areas have LTE yet (on a side note I heard VERIZON's NOTE 2 is not SVDO compatible). Lastly, this is my first post and I am new to the site. I want to thank everyone for their very informative posts. It is very much appreciated.