I have a DROID DNA. You have questions. Fire away!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No, actually, it sips the battery. My current charge, 2nd one, has lasted 27 hours and still has 13%. I have had a number of phone calls, web browsing, Tweet reading, FB checking. It is all good.

So what kind of on screen time would you expect. I typically need 4 to 5 hours a day. Does this seem doable? I'm on wifi a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
We have seen cases from mophie and other companies that extend battery life, with more phones coming out with limited storage such as the Nexus 4 and the DNA, do you think its plausible for a company like them to make a case that extends battery life and that you could plug in a micro SD card to extend storage since you can mount USB devices on a lot of newer devices?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I just saw one of these cases for the iPhone 5. Pretty interesting concept. I would rather have more space on the phone instead... But check it out
http://m.cnet.com/news/iexpander-iphone-case-adds-sd-extra-battery-30-pin-connector/57530529?ds=1

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Are the capacitive button lights able to be turned off like the gs3?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I wish it was possible to dim them. My SGS2 buttons are super bright when reading in the dark.

michael4man

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just saw one of these cases for the iPhone 5. Pretty interesting concept. I would rather have more space on the phone instead... But check it out
http://m.cnet.com/news/iexpander-iphone-case-adds-sd-extra-battery-30-pin-connector/57530529?ds=1

That is really interesting, I think its a great idea too, hell they could make this case and put it on and the DNA still wouldn't be a big as the Thunderbolt, right Phil lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just read a couple of reviews on this and they say the DNA screen is taking a backseat to the HTC One x.

It's undeniably the highest ppi and the best looking under magnification but they are saying the white's are a bit blue and not as bright.

As far as size, this phone is only a 1/2 inch smaller than the Note 2, same width as an S3 but taller screen.

The Nottinator

I hope you are not putting any stock in Gizmodo's "reviews". If so, I would recommend you move on. Just my opinion ..

They made their "ranking of screens" after 1 day using 1 line of text only. No mention of photos, video, color saturation, etc. Just how 1 line of text looked to them compared to other screens.

I would hold off until other reviews come in. Every knowledgeable sight that has seen the screen raves about it and I have seen it compared favorably to the OneX screen over and over ...

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just read a couple of reviews on this and they say the DNA screen is taking a backseat to the HTC One x.
It's undeniably the highest ppi and the best looking under magnification but they are saying the white's are a bit blue and not as bright.
[...]

For whatever reason, "reviews" about screens referenced this way irritate me.
I suppose it's due to the fact that I am a hobbyist photographer, and so I have a calibrated monitor all the time, but reviewing a phone screen as "bluer" or "whiter" than another one does absolutely nothing to tell about the screen. The only thing this says is that the color temperature of one screen on one specific phone differs from another screen of another specific phone. Just because one is "bluer" does not mean the entire range is bluer, or brighter. Every screen has variance.

For those that might be thinking that variance should be tightly controlled during manufacturing, and that a difference should be a trend, here's something I had experienced when I was trying to pick up my first smartphone (A Droid Incredible that I am still using.. Still deciding what to upgrade to.)
IMG_1920.jpg

This was back when I first got my phone.
I immediately noticed something was off. The phone was way too green. (One on the very right.)
I called for not one, but two replacements. They are all different.
(Shots were intentionally out of focus, as the point was not to shoot the phones, but to see the color difference with all 3 set to a blank, white browser window.)
Careful observers might note that one is also slightly brighter than the others. (I believe they were all set to 100% brightness, as I noticed that the colors ALSO shifted depending on the brightness level being set.)

That said, I would be interested in seeing how the DNA's screen actually looks in terms of overall sharpness, readability, and color reproduction.
As sad as it is, phones are getting better screens than laptops nowadays. It's near impossible to find an IPS panel in a laptop that goes anywhere near even 100% sRGB coverage. Those that do cost way too much.

Edit:
Green and Magenta/Red shift is more about the tint. Color temperature would be how Blue/Yellow a display is.

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think I've made up my mind to return the Galaxy S3 and get the DNA. I was pretty disturbed with the smaller battery and lack of Micro SD slot but after thinking about it... I usually have plenty of access to a wall or car charger and since the DNA supports USB Host functions... I'm thinking I'll just store the majority of my music on a small flash drive. I'm thinking the screen, camera, processor, beats audio, and build of HTC is just more important to me than what the GS3 offers. Not putting down the GS3 (I think it's great)... just going with what is more important to ME. Thanks yall!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey Phil, how many home screens can be set up on this thing. And does the wallpaper do the slow-slide thing as you scroll among them?

Five homescreens, and the wallpaper doesn't move.

Oh, and speaking of that ... :p

Attachments

• Droid_DLX_FINAL_Wallpaper.jpg
    Droid_DLX_FINAL_Wallpaper.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 128

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
CNET glowing review

So, CNET seems to really like the phone. Their review is pretty glowing. Of particular note is the fact they they mention good battery life. The mention specifically: "the handset?s embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes on the CNET Labs video battery drain test... " The SGS3 lasted 9 HR 24 min on their tests. So, quite comparable. :D . Quoting below:

The good: The beautifully designed HTC Droid DNA features a quad-core processor, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, 4G LTE, a sharp 5-inch screen, an excellent camera, and long battery life.

The bad: The Droid DNA?s large size is tricky for tight pockets, and it lacks both an SD card slot and removable battery.

The bottom line: With quad-core power, 4G LTE, a lovely 5-inch screen, plus a stunning design, the $199.99 HTC Droid DNA is currently Verizon?s best Android deal.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
For whatever reason, "reviews" about screens referenced this way irritate me.
I suppose it's due to the fact that I am a hobbyist photographer, and so I have a calibrated monitor all the time, but reviewing a phone screen as "bluer" or "whiter" than another one does absolutely nothing to tell about the screen. The only thing this says is that the color temperature of one screen on one specific phone differs from another screen of another specific phone. Just because one is "bluer" does not mean the entire range is bluer, or brighter. Every screen has variance.

For those that might be thinking that variance should be tightly controlled during manufacturing, and that a difference should be a trend, here's something I had experienced when I was trying to pick up my first smartphone (A Droid Incredible that I am still using.. Still deciding what to upgrade to.)
View attachment 46436

This was back when I first got my phone.
I immediately noticed something was off. The phone was way too green. (One on the very right.)
I called for not one, but two replacements. They are all different.
(Shots were intentionally out of focus, as the point was not to shoot the phones, but to see the color difference with all 3 set to a blank, white browser window.)
Careful observers might note that one is also slightly brighter than the others. (I believe they were all set to 100% brightness, as I noticed that the colors ALSO shifted depending on the brightness level being set.)

That said, I would be interested in seeing how the DNA's screen actually looks in terms of overall sharpness, readability, and color reproduction.
As sad as it is, phones are getting better screens than laptops nowadays. It's near impossible to find an IPS panel in a laptop that goes anywhere near even 100% sRGB coverage. Those that do cost way too much.

Edit:
Green and Magenta/Red shift is more about the tint. Color temperature would be how Blue/Yellow a display is.

Will get ya a pic later. But the DNA's a little more red than the Nexus 4, whose whites are decidedly whiter. Both are better than the GNex. :p

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol. You are comparing the design of a phone to the design of a car!!! Not quite the same.

Haha, I realize this. The point being, what would the car look like that has its internal components designed first? Because that's not how any products are designed AFAIK.

Last edited:

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Phil... are you impressed with the camera on the DNA? Better or worse than the GS3? Ready to pick a dog fight winner between the two phones?

TrooperThorn

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Phil... are you impressed with the camera on the DNA? Better or worse than the GS3? Ready to pick a dog fight winner between the two phones?

I have both phones (well, HAD both phones, I just sold off my GS3) and I think the camera in the DNA is way better. It focuses better and faster, and gives me more consistent results. The camera in the GS3 was nice some of the time, but it let me down a lot. The camera in the DNA is absolutely awesome.

DROIDDNAer

May 23, 2011
Visit site
If you do not run the brightness at 100% for the entire 4-5 hours, I believe it will. Also, are you gaming/watching video, or just using web/widgets? I think it depends on what your are doing, but I also believe this phone will handle it. If you can give me an idea of what you will be doing I can run some tests.

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does the DNA come with Swype? And I know people have already said the speaker w/ amplifier is loud... but can someone please elaborate on that a little. I like to listen to podcasts on my Thunderbolt but it's almost impossible without headphones because the speaker is utter crap on the Bolt.

Sqube

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
ChrisFricke said:
Can one of you put the DNA side by side with an iPhone5 and give an opinion as to image quality between the two? Home screen, apps, photos, video playback, etc. Are the extra pixels noticeable next to the "coveted" retina display? If Apple marketing is to be believed the quality should be perceived as pretty much identical.

Thoughts?

Gizmodo already did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888